P1 Running Costs

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 12:30 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a P1 but I remember a review somewhere (Evo magazine ?) that said that it was basically a fanatastic car if you could afford to maintain it !

Is this true ? I can't see it being more expensive to run than any other scoob, or am I wrong ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 13 May 2003, 12:34 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Nope not much different to any other scoob. Servicing would be the same, insurance would be more (but not a great deal) mpg might be slightly worse.

Mind due its your first post do you know how much a normal scoob is to maintain .

[Edited by chrisp - 5/13/2003 12:35:28 PM]
Old 13 May 2003, 12:34 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi

Serving is still the same as others - every 6 months or 7500 miles.
I guess brakes and maybe some other bits may be more expensive.
Fuel consumption will not be much more than normal scoob and obviously depends on how hard you drive it.
Insurance may hurt a bit.
I have a RB5 WRSport and this isnt a bottonmless pit.
You wont regret it

Jas
Old 13 May 2003, 12:35 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I drove one 6 months ago and there was just something about it that I really liked ! So I think it'll be in my garage SOON.....
Old 13 May 2003, 12:47 PM
P1 Owner
Scooby Regular

Cool

Got one...cost a fortune... but its one hell of a drive..
Old 13 May 2003, 12:50 PM
Ratspants
Scooby Newbie

I bought a P1 about a month ago and have been keeping a close eye on running costs - I have already accepted my fate so it was just out of curiosity.

The disturbing answer is £15 a day (fuel (£8.10), insurance (£4.90), tax, servicing but not depreciation). That's at 22mpg (16.5p per mile) and my insurance was the thick end of 1800 quid. On that note, check to see if you can actually get insurance before you even start looking.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:08 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

The reason for the Scooby is that I currently have a Jag X-Type 3.0SE for to-and-from work, and a highly modified MR2 Turbo for the weekends. It's blimmin expensive having two cars I can tell you ! So I want to sell Jag and MR2, then try and get a car that's (reasonably) comfy for to and from work yet still makes me smile when I boot it. P1 seems to fit nicely...

Got a quote from Elephant for £901 comp (I'm 29). Jag currently does 21mpg so Petrol I can cope with. I guess the only downside is servicing twice a year.

But it seems as if there's no nasty surprises to owning a P1. (If you like fast cars, you get used to hefty insurance\petrol\maintenance\mods - wouldn't have it any other way).

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2003, 02:31 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt, thought i would add my two penneth!
Funnily enough, as we sit here, my P1 is currently in for a 37500 service at Gatwick Subaru!! Just called them and they have said it is ready, but pi55ing down at the mo so will wait a while, anyway, back to the question in hand!
The most expensive part for me was the insurance as this was £1400 with Tesco, this was the best quote i had as i wrote off my RB5 WRSport back in November!!
As for day to day, not a huge amount in it, other than petrol as i dont think mpg is as good as the RB5. As for servicing costs, will be able to tell you that in a while, after i have picked her up!

Where abouts in Sussex are you, i am in Crawley?
Another good site to have a look at is P1WOC.CO.UK as this will contain loads of info on the Sonic Blue Beast!!

Laters

Mikey
Old 13 May 2003, 02:33 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Mikey

Is there that much of difference in performance in P1 and your RB5?
Old 13 May 2003, 02:51 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Still pi55ing it down!!!

JJK
The RB5 that i had was supposed to be 240 ish bhp, the P1 about 280 bhp, have added an itg panel filter and scoobysport bb.
The bb certainly makes a massive difference with the spooling up of the turbo and it makes a far deeper growl than the stock STi bb!

Performance wise, it is noticeable, just seems to give you more of a jolt once that turbo kicks in, it redlines at 8k revs rather than 7k revs like the RB5 did.

Handling wise, not alot in it, if anything, the P1 is more uncompromising.
Where you do notice the difference is sheer presence on the road, everyone seems to look at you, move out the way or have a go!!

To be honest though, dont know if it is worrth the difference in price from a cuurent RB5 WRSport.
Average P1s seem to be at £19k, whereas RB5s seem to be about £14k at the moment. Spend the rest of the money on aftermarket mods and you may well have a superior car with the RB5, but it still wont have the presence of a P1.

Just my humble opinion of course!!

Laters

Mikey
Old 13 May 2003, 03:35 PM
Wils
Scooby Regular

There is no difference in running costs from My98 Turbo, P1 or STI8 PPP all are excellent fun!
Old 13 May 2003, 04:25 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hey Mikey,

Blimey, small world and all that - I'm in Horsham (well, I live between Horsham and Rusper - moved out of town into 'the sticks' when I finally got fed up of funding jealous, mindless car vandals !!!)

Are Gatwick a good bunch ? That's where I drove a P1 six months ago.

Cheers

Matt
http://www.mshperformance.co.uk (in case you're interested !)
Old 14 May 2003, 12:28 AM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You aint gonna believe this!!!

Picked up my pride and joy at about 4pm after dispensing with £190 of my hard earned cash ( not too bad i thought ), had a chit chat with service manager while she was warming up, then drove her off the forecourt then heard that sound that all scoob owners dread!! A horrid " dugga, dugga, dugga " sound coming from the engine bay!
I had only been on the road for a couple of minutes, at this point was not amused as you can well imagine!
Drove the car straight back, saw the same service manager that i had been chatting to only 15 mins before, told him of the problem, explained i wasnt happy as it had been fine in the morning when i dropped it off, he came out, had a look and a listen, summised that no.2 piston sounded liked it had dropped out!! Only a year ago i had a warranty rebuild on my RB5 for the very same problem, so you can see how pi55ed off i am right this moment!

The car is now waiting for an official from Subaru UK to come and have a look at it as apparently the dealers recieved a memo only a few days ago stating that if any P1s came in with any big end problems, particularly no.2 letting go, then they wanted to have a look!

Once we had sussed out what the potential problem was, they got me a courtesy car ( mitsu i'm so slow carisma ) straight away and then said that he would sought the problem under warranty!!

All in all, not a good day!

Mikey
Old 14 May 2003, 01:12 AM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

I upgraded my MY00 Uk turbo to my P1 back in January this year and havent looked back! As mentioned before the P1 certainly turns heads (this can be a good AND bad thing!) Also you should ONLY ever run it on SUL which does increase the running costs but as you said you have a Jag this wont be too much of a problem

BIGMIKEYBOY: Sorry to hear about your trouble mate how many miles has your P1 covered? Hope its all sorted VERY soon mind you when you drive it again it will feel like when you first got it again after the Mits- SLOW- bishi I read on here that the best mod you can do is drive a slow car then get back in your motor!

Keith
MY00 P1
Old 14 May 2003, 01:21 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

bigmickeyboy- sorry to hear of your problem, it makes me worry because I want to mod mine but am worried I might end up in a similar predictament as yourself, except without warranty.

Still hope you get it sorted soon
Old 14 May 2003, 01:26 AM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Keith, cheers for your words!
Had it put in today for a 37500 mile service! Its the fact that i had it serviced then less than 5 mins after driving it away, it went bang! Coincidence, or not!
W pi55es me off the most, is that it has happened to me before with my RB5 that i had, and that had only covered 17k miles!!
The only saving grace is that the computer in the carisma is saying that i am getting 38 miles to the gallon! Forgot what those days were like!!

Mikey
Old 14 May 2003, 01:30 AM
essexscooby
Scooby Regular

17k my P1 has only done 18k blimey good job for warranty's eh?

Subaru: would you like an extension on your warranty sir?
Essexscooby: Too Bl00dy right mate

Keith
MY00 P1
Old 14 May 2003, 06:35 AM
P1-Kev
Scooby Newbie

Mickey.

Sorry to hear what happened m8, hope this is sorted out soon I had new disks/pads put on the other day by VBJ in Newbury, they had a few scoobies in for an engine rebuild. He explained to me to upgrade the oil pump cus he has seen many failures out there. When they have a scooby in for a cambelt change, apparently they do it then.

Regards

Kev
Old 14 May 2003, 08:12 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Bigmikeyboy,

Sorry to hear of your troubles ! I know what it's like, believe me when I say you do NOT want an X-Type Jag - problems like you wouldn't believe for a £32k car. I'm on my 3rd gearbox for a start !!!

Anyway, is the Gatwick dealership a good one ? Would you recommend them ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 14 May 2003, 08:52 AM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Perhaps consisder a Version 5/6 Type R and save yourself probably up to £6K +++++

Basically a raw P1 without the UK changes.
No abs, but do get the adjustable diff + more
Old 14 May 2003, 09:29 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mickey - sorry to hear the piston problem, very suspicious that the garage had just been working on the car, hmmmmm

I use a P1 as my every day car - it's not too bad to run at all. Insurance £950 (32, full no claims), servicing is remarkably cheap, and certainly a lot less than a BMW or Merc, although it is every 7,500 miles (or 12 months I think, not 6 months as someone said above).

It does like fuel, however, twitching like a fat bird passing a pie shop every time it goes near a petrol station. About 275 miles per £40 of fuel (and mostly it's trundling in and out of town).

On the open road it's incredible - it's two years old now and there's nothing I'd rather have for less than £50k. Already decided I'm never selling and it'll get garaged as a toy when it's getting long in the tooth.

Get one, you won't regret it!
G
Old 14 May 2003, 11:00 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

On the classics its every 6 months or 7,500 WHICHEVER is the sooner i.e minimum of TWO services a year on a classic including a P1.
Old 14 May 2003, 12:44 PM
P1-Kev
Scooby Newbie

Well said Gordo m8, thats exactly what I'm gonna do. When it does get that old I'm gonna build a granny flat for it

Regards

Kev
Old 14 May 2003, 12:49 PM
P1-Kev
Scooby Newbie

Well said Gordo m8, thats exactly what I'm gonna do. When it does get that old I'm gonna build a granny flat for it

Regards

Kev