Woof!

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2000, 04:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The mad Mark posts again!

Ok, Thanks to Peter Cope for helping me out with the Dog Guard, what top chap you are Peter

Anyway, with dog guard in place it will stop doggie from intruding into passenger area. What I want to know is how one goes about stoping doggie from slipping and sliding all over the shop when one is driving.

I've thought about a dog pen/cage and securing that in the boot, what do you reckon?

What about a dog harness? is such a thing available? I'm sure I've seen dog-like seatbelts somewhere, but do these only workin the passenger compartment?

Will I have to resort to strapping the poor Wiemaraner down to the floor with bungee cords?
Old 13 March 2000, 04:58 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

My suggestion would be a child's kart seat and a six point harness, should keep your four legged friend secure and he can sit in it like a "person". Mind you he/she won't be able to move much and might get a bit tetchy: - Following said with dodgy french accent - "Does your dog bite?", "No." (Bends down to fuss dog, whereby aforementioned mutt attempts to relieve you of hand "I thought you said your dog didn't bite!" - "That's not my dog....." LOL
(Which film...?)
Mike
Old 13 March 2000, 05:00 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pink Panther, which one though?
Old 13 March 2000, 05:02 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That was quick, you really are bored - get on with some work!
Old 13 March 2000, 05:11 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Told you I was in the quiet office today and believe me it is <I>very</I> quiet, I've just been cleaning up the tumbleweed that blew in when I opened the door at lunchtime

My favourite Pink Panther scene is the one with the inflatable parrot that he keeps having to pump up it gives me a big every time I see it.

Anyway us Cossie boys don't <I>do</I> work we get the Scooby kids to do it for us
Old 13 March 2000, 05:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike, you are a mine of useful info. Do agree with you on the moveability area though. Weimaraners are meant to be a bit energetic so it might not like being harnessed it. Might look quite cute though!

I'm gonna pop off to Petsmart and see what they say.
Old 13 March 2000, 05:30 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Red face

Markus,
I wasn't being serious - the RSPCA mob would lynch you (and me for suggesting it!). The only thing I could sensibly suggest is strapping in a basket, so he is forced to lay down - at least then with a lower centre of gravity, he won't be flung from side to side, as he would be if he was sitting up and watching the world go by (v fast!)....
LOL
Mike
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 05:35 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Perhaps you could train him to do the same job as a 'Trunk Monkey"

Chris
Old 13 March 2000, 05:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mike:
doh! you got me there! Think the girlfriend would have had a go before I attempted trying to strap the little fella in.

Basket idea is good, probably the best.

will get 'er indoors to do some research, she's gonna be looking after the puppy!

CharlieWhiskey:
Yeah, I was thinking about that to
Old 13 March 2000, 07:05 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

What your Dog needs (lets call him buster for example) Get some kids wellies about size 3 - 6 depending on make and model of dog. My dog uses size 6 - you know what they say about dogs and the size of their feet ! then get some silicone sealant and smear evenly over the sole of the sole. Then place on a peice of aluminium sheet and secure this to your boot floor. The use of Silicone will allow the dog to lean over into corners. Clarks kids wellies are the best - so I've heard on the grape vine - I think my dog needs some of them odour eaters putting in his though - phfewww !
Old 13 March 2000, 07:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

what you really need is an active yaw camouflarge net.

You place said dog under the net , adjust to give loose but not sloppy fit.

activate the active pneumatic net tightening rams to take up the slack.

go like mad on a country road to test the system fully, on high G corners the active yaw rams should retract splaying the dogs legs and squashing its tummy onto the floor, producing 0.46Meu grip via the velcro pads on the floor area, sorted
Old 13 March 2000, 07:42 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hmmm Pink Panther....

Opening the door of his car & falling in the fountain? Putting the cues back in the cue rack?
Old 13 March 2000, 07:52 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Have a look at petspyjamas.co.uk (I think) they have a range of harnesses and travel options. I am thinking of getting a harness for my Mums Basset Hound.

lots a luck

R
Old 13 March 2000, 08:20 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This is a serious question, 18 months ago I posted to IWOC with the same query and all I received was "drive slowly" or "leave the dogs at home"!

In reality "the Hector" wedges himself in between the front seats and Daisey is carried on the passenger lap.

I bought about 10 different harnesses all crap!

Funnily enough when we are in the Micra Hector adopts his mandatory nodding parcel shelf dog position.
Old 13 March 2000, 09:05 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Scooby (my old dog - border collie - no I'm joking that was his name) used to prefer the passenger seat of my mini, looking out the windscreen and leaning into the corners motorbike style He loved it and was always upset whenever I went out without him
Old 13 March 2000, 09:36 PM
JON HUGHES
Scooby Regular

Wink

Markus
I had the same problem with my labrador sliding around in the back..

The carpet(well whatever it is)seems to be very slippery,had claw marks all over it

My freind got me some very thick rubber matting which cut to shape,looks good and seems to have stopped the sliding.

ps might be able to get u some FOC
cheers JON
Old 13 March 2000, 10:55 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Red face

The safest thing to do is to get a harness for your dog , all the major pet shops stock them.Dont let your dog free in the car it can be bad for your health ! trust me, one day my dog when i had to brake suddenly (8st dobermann) came flying from the back seat and ended up head butting the dash,luckily he was ok and so was i but not worth the risk!
Old 14 March 2000, 09:06 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As Anders said, this is a serious question, but I do appreciate the amusing replies.

sourob:
Have got a dog guard (well will have it soon and will get it fitted when the Wagon arrives) so the Weim flying towards me should, hopefully, not be a problem.

I'm gonna checkout petshops and places like that.

Thanks for the suggestions people.
Old 14 March 2000, 02:43 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Got a 5Dr Impreza & dog. Subaru Accessory Dog guard in back, Subaru Accessory rubber lip mat for rear boot area. Dog can't scrape the already minimal amount of carpet fluff off the boot floor with claws anymore. My dog seems to hold on quite well, and leans around the corners as he alway looks where I'm going!!! (back seat driver)

He only loses grip in emergency manouveres (frequent) and seems quite happy in the boot.

The dog guard would stop him crashing through in the event of a big one.

Hope this helps........and boy did you all make me laugh.....the wellies on the boot floor was just poetic......
Old 14 March 2000, 02:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dr Hu:
Thanks. As I said I have/will have, dog guard. How much was the rubber mat? any idea if it'll fit a 94 WRX? how much was it? doubt my local dealer would sell me one anyway as I'll have a WRX.
Old 14 March 2000, 09:44 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

For what its worth here's my bookmarks for dog stuff--
Old 14 March 2000, 11:51 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've a long haired GSD and a Golden retriever. The Subaru guard is excellent if expensive. I bought a Hatch bag for the boot ( used them in previous cars ), it comes up to about window level and is completely waterproof, cost about £60, just fixed in by Velcro. The bumper protector is also good as it saves on the scratches. To stop the dogs sliding around i've found that the anti slip matting you can buy in places like Ikea for going under rugs etc on hard floors works a treat under a blanket/rug.

Steve.
Old 15 March 2000, 10:03 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers to all of you.

Got home to find that the dog guard had turned up (ta peter!)

I've 'her indoors' to do some surfing for rubber mats, etc.

The only bits missing now are a) The doggie!, and b) the WRX Wagon!
Old 11 April 2000, 12:05 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Showtime:
Will try the rug suggestion. She's got one in her cage at the moment, so we'll use that one.

My only other prob is that I've got to go an get a storage system for all the other junk, eg; tow ropes, jumpleads, torches, etc... that is laying around in the back, otherwise Maggie will try and eat them. She nearly got a perm last night as she tried to eat the hoover's power cord! daft little thing!
Old 11 April 2000, 10:14 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Markus:-

Sorry for the late reply, the bbs has been on holiday......

Hope the doggie and WRX wagon arrive soon...

Part No's for Subaru Accessories are:-

Dog Guard 93-96my - SACC1189 £93 +vat
Gog Guard 96-on - F5510FE000 £same

Rubber Lip Mat 5Dr 93-96my - J5110FE000DR £29 +vat
Rubber Lip Mat 5Dr 96-on - J5110FE001DR £same

These will fit ALL models irrespective of country, and if you visit your dealer without car and say can I order an accessory please, I'd be VERY suprised to see them turn you away.....

Dr Hu
Old 11 April 2000, 10:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dr Hu:

WRX Wagon is being held up in Eire. But I do have the Weimaraner puppy, and she is very cute! Does tend to nibble a bit, but that's normal. She goes totally mad when she see's our cat though!

Thanks for the part no's will pop down to local dealer when car arrives
Old 11 April 2000, 11:08 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Markus,

I've a Dalmation (who's also dead cute), he mainly resides in Mrs Showtimes car (non scooby...for now..D))behind dog guard. I put in a non slip mat , but poor mutt still slipped around too much...solution...a fireside rug (about 4' x 2'). double sided tape to the rubber floor..bingo..happy mutt and no more slippy...easy removal too

Old 11 April 2000, 11:51 AM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Try Pet City or Petsmart (whatever they call themselves these days). I think you can buy harnesses that attach to seatbelts off the shelf from there in different sizes.
Old 11 April 2000, 01:19 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Ah the joys of puppy parenthood..I remember it well...those sudden panic feelings when dog goes behind the sofa and goes very quiet for a minute..

be grateful She's eating cables and not other dogs ***t