Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 07:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Prodrive mods are the only warranty approved mods. People will tell you "ah its okay they know people change them", your risk but if you do and your engine lets go be prepared for a big bill if they wont honour the warranty . These people with expert knowledge about how you can mod it and it doesnt affect the warranty wont foot your bill either .
Old 07 May 2003, 07:33 PM
Trick
Scooby Regular

he also said that as mine has the PPP, that is the maximum amount of performance I will get under the warranty - i.e c.246bhp

I thought Prodrive did all kinds of performance enhancing mods?

Or he is right again?
Old 07 May 2003, 07:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

You can buy a fully prepared rally car from Prodrive if you have enough money they also engineer parts for Motorsport. As far as the prodrive performance pack supplied to subaru UK for fitment to impreza to keep the warranty he is spot on with your model MY00 around the 240-245bhp is the maximum you can have without losing your warranty.
Old 08 May 2003, 08:06 AM
Trick
Scooby Regular

ok cheers
Old 08 May 2003, 09:04 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

In truth it's not as Black and White as that! It's a big grey area but the safe stance to take is that any non-Prodrive supplied mod can invalidate your warranty.

However - the warranty talks in terms of "failures resulting from fitting parts not of equivalent quality/design" (or words to that effect) so you *should* be able to fit a part that is of equivalent design and quality to a Prodrive supplied part and your warranty remain intact. This would almost certainly lead to a battle with Subaru UK (IM) in the event of a claim and would take time, effort and probably money to resolve though.

You pays your money and you makes your choice

Matt
Old 24 May 2003, 12:30 AM
Trick
Scooby Regular

i guess if i fitted a backbox, but removed if for my services they wouldnt know anyway
Old 24 May 2003, 10:21 AM
fireandskill1
Scooby Regular

Looking to get a back box and centre section for my MY02 STI, Have just phoned my dealer and he said that they are very flexible when it comes to fitting aftermarket MODS, they will still honour the warranty, So check with your dealer there not all bad.
Mike.
Old 24 May 2003, 11:05 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Be aware though that IM have fairly recently voided the warranty of someone on this board who changed just their Back Box on an STi after his engine blew up. There was much discssion at the time and the upshot was that most people think they were in the wrong but you would have to go legal to get them to change their mind....

If your dealer is decent then they *may* not tell IM about the mid-section/BB in the event of a claim but it would be bad luck indeed if an IM rep decided to come and inspect the car (as they do at random for warranty claims!)

Matt.
Old 24 May 2003, 11:34 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Just had my P1 go through an engine rebuild and the dealer was superb, they took off three after market mods and replaced the original parts so on inspection every thing was hunky dory! Did all the work under a warranty job, so i guess i cant complain!!

Mikey
Old 25 May 2003, 12:29 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It never ceases to amaze me ....

The idea that you want to mod a car well out of tolerances and STILL cry when Subaru don't honour your warranty!!

Join the SISI club and all will be well

So, Mikey, Subaru UK are now looking at all warranty claims in the Crawley area on P1's!! Wise move spilling the beans on such a public forum and one read by the powers that be - expect a knock on the door to inspect your P1 in the near future!!

Pete
Old 25 May 2003, 01:08 AM
vitesse
Scooby Regular

Had the same prob with my car.

They said they will honour the warranty but exclude the whole exhaust system!!!
Old 25 May 2003, 09:44 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

pslewis - good point.

Can anyone who has been lucky regarding warranty claims on cars with mods etc, please keep it to yourself. Sooner or later IM WILL work out which dealers are more "flexible" etc and raops teor knuckles (or worse) which does none of us any good.

Think before you type - at the very least if you ae going to blab about it don't have your location showing in your profile etc

You don't know who on this board (IM, police, ins companies etc). Lets face it - does anyone here know who I am?

Paul
Old 25 May 2003, 09:56 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

I've also asked my dealer about this and I have now installed a full scoobysport system. It doesn't void the warranty ! But if you installed a "WOOSHER" which is a dump valve for all you common people (heheheh), induction kit this would indeed void it. Anything that is prodrive, scoobysport etc your be ok.

Just had a new clutch and they have noticed upgraded suspension. This hasn't voided the warranty but they haven't heard of Avo....strange.

Regards

Kev
Old 25 May 2003, 10:43 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry Scooby Kev, but thats just a right old load of BOLLOX!!!!

If you fit a scoobysport / Non IM approved exhaust, IM will invalidate the warrenty. If the dealer says otherwise HE is defrauding IM....

Dont tell people its OK when clearly mods screw your warrenty...

Jza

Old 25 May 2003, 11:54 PM
vitesse
Scooby Regular

On extended warranty no mods are allowed except exhaust (no decat though) I should know i have just recently spent 20+ minutes on the phone to there tech dept(some tosser in an office somewhere)asking why they are going to void my extended warranty because of eibach lowering springs.I even mentioned excluding steering and suspension from the warranty(as i really want it for engine and gearbox)but they were having none of it!!!!!!

Rant over with

jonathan
Old 05 July 2003, 07:21 PM
Trick
Scooby Regular

Asked my dealer (who cover my warranty) if I can change the Prodrive backbox for something else - and not invalidate my warranty.

he said - "NO"

Is this the general case?
Its not as if im making any "other" MODS...or is it down to Prodrive being subaru approved?

MY00.

[Edited by Trick - 5/7/2003 7:22:06 PM]