Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing thoughts/expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 03:34 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MY00 has just had it's 37,500 service.
The car has only covered 17,500 miles from new.
In Japan (except under special driving conditions) the servicing is only dependent on mileage NOT time.
Does my car really need to have the cambelt changed next year in Sept at prob only 25,000 miles?
Even spark plugs don't deteriorate that much as the low mileage is a result of light use rather than lots of short trips.
Any thoughts as paying for a warranty this Sept and then paying around £800 in servicing next year is very painful. Especially if the car doesn't really need it.
Old 16 April 2003, 04:03 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

My 00/01 Turbowagon's previous owner had the it serviced 4 times in 14000 miles, it's just now on 18000 but it's been since six months since the last one so it's due. According to the service book the next free stamp is for the 30000 service. Rang my local dealer(Simpson's)and they said it only needs the 23000 service to maintain the warranty. I think that implies that the engine oil changes and service checks are time based but the things like diff oil change, cambelt, sparkplugs, etc are mileage dependant.
Old 16 April 2003, 04:09 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

If you go for a Subaru warranty you'll need to follow they service recommendations, i.e. keep it full Subaru sh. Also if any manufacturer faults arise you may experience problems getting them sorted if its not F S SH, also it will affect its resale vaulue if it doesnt have FSSH.

Cheers

Dan
Old 16 April 2003, 04:11 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I also do relatively low mileage but always go by the service schedules. For one thing - if you are taking out an extended warranty you will have to comply with the recommended intervals, regardless of mileage. If you dont you will invalidate the warranty.
Regarding the cambelt in particular, my understanding is that the belt deteriorates over time, even with very low mileage. It is not worth risking a possibly catastrophic failure.
Also, any savings you make on servicing costs may have an adverse affect on the value of your car when you come to sell it.
I'm no expert though. Just my opinion.

Steve
Old 16 April 2003, 04:20 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Agree that servicing schedule must be adhered to re garding warranty claims and resale value.
Seems strange that FHI do not recommend any servicing by time only by mileage.
This seems to be an Subaru(UK) decision. Obviously the likelyhood of a serious warranty claim arising if a car is serviced regardless of age is less likely hwnce protecting Subaru(UK) from some potential large claims.
Really wondering if the Subaru(UK) schedule is overkill.
Judging by what I have seen/read out of Japan carrying out inspections and oil changes when mileages have not been covered each 6 months is plenty adequate for the good of the car. I personally will not be had over a barrel to line the pockets of dealers. My concern is the state of the car. Seems like the car could easily be in top condition mechanically without the need for such excessive attention.