Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone gone from a 4-door STi to a 2-door Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 07:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning to sell my STi3 saloon after the summer. I'd like to go for an STi5/6 Type R. Anyone followed a similar route to this?
I know the Type-Rs are totally different because I've driven a couple.
Whats the differece in fuel? I get around 200 miles to the tank in mine.
Your advice on this please with advantages/disadvantages in other areas too etc.

Nick
Old 14 April 2003, 07:43 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

hi

went from sti saloon to a v4 type R.

disadv - none. fuel consumption is the same

adv - more rigid body due to 2 door shell. rear wheel bias. one of the quicker scoobys off the line due to short shift close ratio box. they come tinted as well!

still smiling......

Old 14 April 2003, 09:12 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Just so happens my STI V5 Type R is up for sale

Running 319Bhp (been re-mapped for optimax since then) and I get about 230 miles to a tank around town etc and on motorway runs get about 280 miles doing about 80-90mph.
Old 14 April 2003, 09:18 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

skoobidude - just what I had in mind, but the problem is I love my 4 door and at the moment don't want to part with it... I would to have another scooby, but the wife wouldn't again to it, as she's looking for a convertible (must keep her in doors happy..!!)..
Anyway, go for it..

OJ..
Old 14 April 2003, 10:04 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a v5 type R and now have a P1. Biggest difference you'll notice will be the low gearing and rear wheel drive bias on the type R. It behaves more like a RWD car, but feels incredibly quick (due to short gearing).
P1 is longer geared and more 4wd feeling. Safe, but a bit more boring (if a p1 can be described as boring ???). You can always wind the centre diff control forward on the type R though, and you get a few nice extras like climate control (rather than air con), water spray for the intercooler and electric folding mirros, which you don't get on the uk cars (although I'm not sure about the sti3).
Fuel seems around the same on any scooby I've ever had (type R, P1 and uk wagon !!). Between 200 and 250 for general driving, and maybe near 300 on a long trip (downhill, wind behind etc ).
Anyway, good move I think, as long as your not doing a lot of motorwat miles, as the low gearing could get to you a bit (120mph at just over 6000rpm if I remember correctly..... on a track obviously )
HTH
Dave