Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Impreza for LIFE - help research cure for cancer

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 01:14 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have seen on local news reports of a cancer research program which gives computer owners the opportunity to use their personal computing resources to perform scientific research, such as searching for improved treatments and potential cures for cancer and other diseases, by downloading a computer program to their PCs from the Internet. It is being run by United Devices who also run the SETI@home project and is sponsored by Intel. The program has been developed specifically to search for new drugs to treat leukemia. United Devices Inc. developed this program in conjunction with the National Foundation for Cancer Research (NFCR) and the University of Oxford.

As the program runs, it uses your computer to begin processing a small packet of data. Once processing is complete (about a day later), the program sends the results back to a server and requests a new packet of data. If you aren't online when the processing is done, your computer will wait to send and receive data packets until the next time you're connected to the Internet.

The research program operates in the background, so you shouldn't notice it's running during computer use. It's designed to run only when computing resources are unused. As soon as you run an application that needs computing power, the research program will back down, and your computing performance will not be noticeably impacted. You do not need to leave your PC running either. Just use your PC as normal, turning it on and off as you would. Obviously though, if you do leave your PC on, it will process more data.

It is projected that the resulting "virtual supercomputer" will ultimately be capable of more than 50 teraflops (trillions of operations per second) of computational power and involve millions of participants, and will be ten times more powerful than today's highest performing supercomputers.

As I have been typing this message, my PC has searched through about 4 million permutations and combinations and found 3 possible matches of molecules to one of the proteins thought to be responsible for Leukemia. These "hits" will be sent back to the main server once the data packet has been completed.

So how can you join up?

1. Visit the Intel sponsored LIFE page and download the program today.
Old 10 April 2001, 09:01 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Steve

I started a similar thread in the non-scooby related section on the 7th.
Old 11 April 2001, 01:00 AM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete

Its good to see a response on the main general section after a worrying slow start.

I unfortunately can not change the name of the group (unless we made a new team). I have though changed the description of the group to
"Subaru Impreza enthusiasts and friends who spend too much time on their computers. You will usually find us on Scoobynet BBS (http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk) and/or the IWOC mailing list. We all share one thing in common, the love of the Subaru Impreza."

A bit lame I know, but its the best I could come up with at this time of night!

Regards

Steve
Old 11 April 2001, 10:54 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds like a thoroughly useful use of spare CPU cycles! Will sign up tomorrow night as I'm a bit tired at the mo...

Richard