Sponsored by:

Fuel Surge (Serious Question)

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 04:47 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Despite this I recently forget when I tanked it round a little roundabout on the red light and 10m or so out of the roundabout I got the worst case of surge to date The car violently cut out and I could actually hear the metallic clinking sound of the stalled engine making several revolutions against the drag of the drivetrain She fired up when the juice returned and I continued on cursing myself for having forgotten.
Given that the last time this happened you nearly had a massive accident don't you think you should have remembered??

SB, for heavens sake, do you never take anything on board Do you sit at home and whip yourself for fun?

Is masochism a hobby?

My question is this: Is there something wrong with my car?
Yeah, but nothing a new driver won't cure

Some people never learn

[Edited by Diablo - 4/3/2003 4:53:46 PM]
Old 04 March 2003, 04:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I for one have never ever had fuel surge, even when thrashing it below 1/4 tank. I don't drive along roads with slow, sharp bends - say 40-50mph is about the tightest.

I do tend to flick the car before the bend to get a little oversteer or nice 4-wheel slide, so it does get chucked about alot.

Really don't know what to suggest

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/3/2003 4:51:46 PM]
Old 04 March 2003, 04:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

40-50mph
The corner today was probably 40mph or less I find it strange that I can induce it anytime I want without even braking traction with as much as 1/3 of a tank yet others have never had it yet they don't treat their car with kid-gloves

Burr, I raised this: apparently its to do with the fuel 'surging' away from the pick-up in the tank! I perfer the term 'fuel starvation'

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 4/3/2003 5:01:04 PM]
Old 04 March 2003, 08:23 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I've not had it on a bend but accelerating hard in a straight line(gtir),the engine cuts out as if you've stalled,nearly throwing you through the windscreen,then restarts again.
I think Powerstation sell a fuel swirl pot which should ensure a constant supply of petrol or fit a longer pickup on your pump.

[Edited by skiddus_markus - 4/3/2003 10:04:14 PM]
Old 03 April 2003, 03:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Question

Before you all start this is a serious thread/question...

I got fuel surge again today....BUT....at just over 1/2 (yes half ) a tank Better yet I was 'making progress' but wasn't going anywhere near as fast round the corners as the car is capable of. I'd have described my driving as 'cruise and squirt'

Since the imfamous fuel surge spin I've been the butt of many a joke but I still maintain to myself and my closest scoobynet friends that it was the biggest contributing factor (well the fact I was cornering hard to cause it in the first place was, but that's beside the point). I really can't be arsed (as I'm sure you can't) debating this so lets not go there. Anyway, since then I've always been ultra-cautious with fuel surge and don't push the car when less than a 1/4 of a tank or if I really have to have some fun then I'll only take on the left-handers at speed. Despite this I recently forget when I tanked it round a little roundabout on the red light and 10m or so out of the roundabout I got the worst case of surge to date The car violently cut out and I could actually hear the metallic clinking sound of the stalled engine making several revolutions against the drag of the drivetrain She fired up when the juice returned and I continued on cursing myself for having forgotten.

Today's event was far less violent and a lot more like the 'bogging down' that most people describe fuel surge as There was no doubt in my mind it was fuel surge though despite the vast quantities of fuel on board (it can't have been an ECU boost cut as the dawes calls the shots unless it hits fuel cut) The corner was a 90 degree countryside jobbie - 60mph road - and I really didn't go round that hard! No sliding or tyre squeel?

My question is this: Is there something wrong with my car? Does it appear to suffer fuel surge worse than others? There have been a few reported cases of half tank surge under extreme track conditions but surely it shouldn't happen on an average country jaunt? Could the cars state of tune (1.2 bar dawes and tek2.5) be making it worse. Is the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system goosed or overstretched? All sensible suggestions and opinions welcome

Granted I've taken a while to get to my point but you'll apprecaite if I had said, 'I got fuel surge, what's wrong with my car' it would be the start of WW3 or perhaps 4 depending on what happens in Iraq

Old 03 April 2003, 03:43 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

All sensible suggestions and opinions welcome
You'll be lucky
Old 03 April 2003, 03:44 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

So much for, 'I've got to leave the office, I can't see scoobynet tonight'

Happy snooping mate
Old 03 April 2003, 03:53 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Surely this should be fuel deprivation and not surge????

Surge would tend to suggest that there was too much
Old 03 April 2003, 03:55 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Admittedly my Scoob is a bit older than yours (MY96) but I have never had a "fuel surge" problem, even with it nearly running on the fumes in the bottom of the tank.

I don't know whether the design of the tank, fuel pump & fuel lines etc. changed for the later cars... I know the injector rails changed...

You start to think about Occam's razor at this point...
Old 03 April 2003, 04:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ diablo's short answer of 'some people never learn' followed by a '**** it I'll wade in and give him hell edit'

The spin was about 5 months ago so your damn right I wasn't driving around today with about with HALF, in case you missed that 'HALF' a tank of fuel thinking, 'oh, better be careful, might get fuel surge' Not to be expected really unless your driving like a bat out of hell.

For the record the fuel guage seems to be fine - I get about 300 miles to a tank from full to vapour and with good representation of the levels throughout.
Old 03 April 2003, 04:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You start to think about Occam's razor at this point
Whats that? Sorry for being fick
Old 03 April 2003, 04:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Don't know m8 to be honest.

Like I said, I've never worried about fuel levels (within reason) when driving hard. OK, I'm no Michael Schumacher but I've had the car sideways a tyre squaling round corners plenty of times and never had this.

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 04:03 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

20 page thread coming up...........................
Old 03 April 2003, 04:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Occam's Razor
Old 03 April 2003, 04:06 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Kenny - despite thinking you were being an idiot about the cause when you first posted about your 'off' it occured for the first time to me yesterday that your 'fuel surge' incident COULD actually have been the cause of your spin if your problem was far worse than as 'standard'.

I'm no mechanic, but the 'normal' Impreza fuel surge just wouldn't cause what you described, so I'd suggest you have a genuine fault.

PS keep it smooth
Old 03 April 2003, 04:08 PM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm wondering what your oil level reading is?

If it's at the top mark or slightly over it could be that in extreme cases the oil is going above the crank and getting behind the pistons on one side. This can cause similar sounding symptoms. If your oil level is high, try draining it to around 3/4 full mark (or slightly less), repeat situation and see if the symptoms reoccur.

All the best

TimboMY03
Old 03 April 2003, 04:14 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Half a tank, is your in tank fuel filter blocked?

I used to occassionaly get "fuel surge" on my wagon, but only when the light was on and really pushing it round a left hander.

Since fitting an uprated fuel pump with the original filter (sits lower in the tank) i have never had it.

HTH

Steven
Old 03 April 2003, 04:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ozzy, you learn something new every day

I recall someone saying that most 'track users' get some sort of sump baffle as the oil sloshing around causes the ECU to panic and go into 'safe mode' Surely this can't happen with me though because of the Dawes. As far as I'm aware all my ECU can do now is pull the 'fuel plug' if it overboosts for 3-4 seconds (can't of been this as I didn't floor it for that long and there was no sign of overboost). By razors law (you like ) that leaves fueling or something completely different.
Old 03 April 2003, 04:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

fuel filter blocked
Good suggestion She's due a service soon so I can get then to check/change that.
Old 03 April 2003, 04:17 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Yeah SB, wasn't going to, but the demons made me
Old 03 April 2003, 04:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 03 April 2003, 04:33 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Occums razor: "The simplist solution is probably the right one."

I use this to justify throwing dirty plates away.... its simpler than washing up. You can (almost) use this argument seriously if you are a scientist.

FUEL PUMP. It does sit on the right hand side of the tank ergo, fuel "surges" away from it on right handers.
Old 03 April 2003, 04:52 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Goodwin's law:

Professor Goodwin, U of I, in 1981 made the observation that Usenet discussions gravitate downhill.

He postulated that as the length of a discussion thread grows, the probability approaches one (1) that one participant will introduce the terms "Hitler" or "****".

The custom has evolved that the first party to utter "Hitler" or "****" has lost the discussion, and the thread terminates.
Can also apply to the word's "Saxo Boy" and "Fuel surge" when uttered in a thread. In this case Goodwin's law was invoked pre-emptively. If I were a psychology major, I'd watch this thread like a hawk.
Old 03 April 2003, 06:09 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Fantastic, so now we've got oil surge as well as fuel surge.

Strange how all this stuff only happens to Kenny's car
Old 03 April 2003, 06:18 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

I have experienced fuel surge in my MY00 around 4 times on the road in just less than a year of ownership. Always when cornering hard to the right and usually with less than 1/4 of a tank. I have experienced it (or the symptoms) once with half a tank.
Old 03 April 2003, 06:43 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i never has fuel surge by the time of ur infamous post.
but about a month ago, pushed it a bit far on a 90 deg right hander... with < 1/4 tank.. BIG fuel surge

havent been anywhere near it again.. tho am now scared of them.

perhaps once u have had it - something alters in the state of the fueling system that causes it to be able to happen more easily again?
Old 03 April 2003, 07:28 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Fuel surge in a straight line on a Scoob?

What car / set up are you running?
Old 03 April 2003, 07:36 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i confess i had it once on a near empty tank going round a roundabout very slow (by the kenny standards lol) & dont go that low again but anyway duz sound more extreme so if i were u i'd definately wana try a few extra goodies 2 try & avoid it as already mentioned better fuel pump is a cunning plan on most scooby's from my (limited) understanding especially if u start 2 seek more power
Duz sound like u have sumin that wants tweaking/improving thou!
Si (technical numpty but can spot the obvious)
Old 04 April 2003, 08:28 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did some checking mate and came up with this for you to try

Ok Ok....... so it's for a boat, but I doubt the North Sea pitches boats around as much as your braking pitches your car into corners

PMSL at my self

This thread must not die, it's like Comic Relief........

now let's see if we can beat last years total of 12 pages on Fuel Surge

Quick Reply: Fuel Surge (Serious Question)