Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo info......P reg UK models....query.

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 07:38 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening all, just a quick question......

....I have read that in late 1996, Subaru changed the turbo on the UK spec 2000 Turbos. My neighbour and I both have P-reg cars, mine a wagon ( aug96 ) his, a saloon ( feb97 ). We've been out in both cars recently and I was concerned that mine was underpowered, although after tonights run, I no longer think that, however, my neighbours car seems to have more boost in third gear above 5000rpm
...is this due to the change in turbo size? Did the smaller turbo in his car increase mid-range performance? If I fit a K&N panel filter will this increase the mid-range pull?

I'm not mechanically minded but from reading various posts on here, I can see that many of you are.

Many thanx in advance.

Skoosh
96 Turbo wagon.
Old 31 March 2003, 07:50 PM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

your right in thinking your model is less flexible and has a narrower power band. Not sure about performance differences and at least you don't have to worry bout piston slap. Your model was the last model of its type and a true "classic" scooby.

I think it was my fav model of scoobs other than the P1.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:03 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

One thing I forgot to mention is that my neighbour thought that my car was quite a bit faster in 1st and 2nd....I also have a st/steel exhaust on the car (about 3/4 of full system, fitted by Subaru by last owner) would this make much of a difference to accelaration?

Skoosh.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:07 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Personally (flame suit on), I believe the 97-98 models to be the least-flexible (ie hardest to modify) of all the models.

The earlier models had the larger TD05 turbos (cabable of big boost power but suffers from lag the 2bar MAP sensors) the latter the smaller TD04 turbos (enjoys better spool-up but not capable of high boost & very-very limited options with regards to ECU upgrades).

Chris

Interior of 97-98s is nicer though
Old 01 April 2003, 06:32 AM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

I meant less flexible in terms of the engines power band. You got me thinking though- so the 97/98 models were the worst in terms of tuneability- interesting.
Old 01 April 2003, 07:20 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Cool

what he's saying is ours have a larger turbo They made the turbo smalled 97-98 to make it come on boost sooner although reducing the maximum boost (if modified) as the 97-98 does boost slightly higher in standard trim. also IIRC it has a larger squarer intercooler (ours in small and at an angle). The newer models also have a straight intake into the turbo (the air pipe in is routed under the manifold) whereas ours is 90deg bend up.

This is definatly heading for Drivetrain now though Where abouts are you based? You may want to take yours to a rolling road and have it checked
Old 02 April 2003, 09:24 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Ditto Dizzy's comments of clarification.

I was also trying to subtly say, unless you completely replace the Subaru ECU for a Motec etc... there are very few tuners offering a service on the standard ECU (Flame suit on - to my knowledge & happy to be corrected - I believe only PE offer one) - this serious limits the ECU upgrade options & definitely becomes more expensive - IMHO.

For the later models the introduction of ECUTEC software has revolutionised the market - & for the older moldels the internet has brought to light cheap DIY altrnatives.

Hence my comment that for the 97-98 models there is currently a very limited cost-effective choice for these MYs.

Chris