ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Crash Test Dummies - Equinox

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2000, 10:20 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just finished watching Equinox about crash test dummies.

Fascinating

All cars before they hit the road have to be approved by a dummy called Hybrid 4. He's 25 years old !!!!!

A new dummy called Thor was about to hit the streets but they reckon that they will be using virtual dummies instead.

Have to confess I found the sedated pig in one of the sequences a little gruesome.

The biggest area of research weakness is in kids, as most of the data is collected from testing on corpses. A German lab was running some tests on child corpses but the press found out and the outcome was the lab was closed. (I remember it being reported in the UK press, they were as horrified)

Personally whist I find the thought of testing corpses somewhat gruesome, I can see the need for it. If putting ten dead children through these tests saves the life of thousands then that surely has to be a good thing.

Dave

oh by the way Hybrid 4 is based on a 5'9" average weight male. So ladies, short *****, fat guys, and long streaks of nothing like myself be warned........your car's safety wasn't designed with you in mind.

Old 13 March 2000, 10:53 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

very good program, what did you think about that American guy who did all those crash tests on himself One test subjected to something like -40G
He was blind for 10 mins after thr test, so you can see why he decided to use a dummt instead.
Old 13 March 2000, 11:40 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Talking

-40G what a poof!

Don Palmer was telling me about an experiment he was involved in where a manufacturer (he won't tell me which one) needed him to crash some of their cars in a selection of very precise ways.

One of these went slightly wrong. It was a ramp which he hit at a considerable speed fast enough to push the engine through the bonet and subject him to over 100G for .1 of a second.

Now that's gotta hurt!

He doesn't do that anymore for some reason.

That bloke's a nutter!

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 11:43 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
ROFL
Old 14 March 2000, 12:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attaching yourself to a 600mph rocket sled is just asking for trouble - what a nutter

Maybe Stef should invest in one of those and finally shut-up those Cossie lovers out there. It would still have to be in a straight line though to give them a fair chance