WRX or STI ??????

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2003, 03:28 PM
rakh1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Just been out today to Baldock to drive the STI, this is after driving their red WRX last week.

So - how does it compare for me?

First impressions:
What the **ck is that scoop! How big is that! IT IS HUGE! I much prefer the smaller WRX scoop. However, the rear wing is superb. If I get a WRX I'll get that wing!

Inside:
Love that red STI stitching, but not keen on the blue. The seats of the STI make you feel like you are sitting lower, although they have no side airbags. I would say that both cars are very comfy but the STI just beats the WRX.

Driving:
When I drove the WRX I thought it was excellent, good torque even from low down and a good feel to the wheel. The STI feels weak below 3500rpm but then it goes BANG! Oh my god it goes quick. Only problem is that you run out of gear too quick and have to change. The STI gearbox is lovely, smooth and short - but you just change gear so often! Can't help feeling that 6 gears is a bit OTT.
Steering on the STI felt over reactive to start but by the end of the drive I was appreciating the shorter lock-to-lock. I love the smaller diameter wheel - much nicer than the WRX.
Braking good on both cars - didn't welly them enough to see what faded first.
Suspension is the biggest noticeable difference. The WRX was amazing - it just soaked up the bumps. The STI feels fantastic at speed but when travelling slower it was too bumpy.
Overall the STI feels more focused and more like a kitted out fast-road car. The WRX is more practical, more 'every-day'.

The question is: what to get. TBH - the purchase cost is not really an issue...by the time you have colour coded, rear winged, trackered and wheeled the WRX it costs nearly as much as the STI anyway - well only 2 or 3 k away!
The STI will cost more to insure, more to run and attract more unwanted attention.
The WRX will be more economical when you don't want to hoof it, more comfy to drive through town and is available in red - but it aint as much fun!

Personally, and I shall know next week when I test drive the WRX PPP and STI back to back, I think I shall go for a WRX in red with the PPP to make it go quick! That way I get the power when I wanna have fun but the practicality for the other 80% of the time! My only wish is that I could have the STI seats in black, the STI wheel and the STI stitching on the gearknob and handbrake...oh, and the shift light!

Rich
Old 20 March 2003, 03:32 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Rich nice problem to have though!
John
Old 20 March 2003, 04:07 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have made your mind up. V sensible approach. I quite like the red too.
Old 20 March 2003, 04:22 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

But you see the problem is, when you get used to you 265bhp in your WRX you'll want that little bit more, but you can't get it because that's the max you're going to get unless you invalidate your warrenty. I'd say get the STI and then when you PPP that mother up you've got 305bhp, much more fun and who cares if it isn't red your be going to fast for anyone to see the colour.
Old 20 March 2003, 04:42 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Yeah but wrx is 75kg lighter and not bad money with ppp in red it would be £21595 on the road both still need 18 inch alloys though!
Old 20 March 2003, 04:55 PM
NuScuDo
Scooby Newbie

Have recently had the same prob - have gone for the WRX + PPP in black - + one or two extras inside .

I reckon this will do for a year or two then go to STI + PPP - I'll appreciate it more and will be ready for the extra oooomph .
Old 20 March 2003, 04:57 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I don't like the way the rear wing wobbles though. If you are gonna have a big wing it needs to be carbon fibre.
Old 20 March 2003, 05:05 PM
NuScuDo
Scooby Newbie

thats the way I'll go - like fast & furious - black carbon ooh
Old 20 March 2003, 07:55 PM
davek
Scooby Regular

had my my03 wrx with ppp for over a week now and im well pleased.
smoothness & comfort when you want it but plenty of torque & pull when you want a bit of fun.
I too could have got the sti8 but i thought there wasn't 5k's difference in performance and whats more you lose certain extras like side airbags, front fogs etc. and with the money i saved i've arranged a few extra mods ( nothing to affect warranty ).
At the end of the day its each to their own and IMO they are both great cars, im sure you'll be pleased with whatever you go for.
Old 21 March 2003, 01:05 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

id say save yourself a fortune and buy a mint classic jap wrx with 280bhp and smoke the lot of them
Old 21 March 2003, 07:10 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Here we go again WRX Vs STi

How many times does it have to be said that just becuase you stick on PPP to a WRX doesn't mean that it is a better car. I think you need to look at the entire package on the STi.

Brakes
Suspension
Diffs
Gear Box
Body Kit
Interior

I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

I should know because we have both and I drive these cars all the time not just on a test drive.
Old 21 March 2003, 08:26 AM
rakh1
Scooby Regular

Hey,

>Here we go again WRX Vs STi

Well, it's a hot topic right now!

>How many times does it have to be said that just becuase you
>stick on PPP to a WRX doesn't mean that it is a better car. I
>think you need to look at the entire package on the STi.

No one has said it is a better car - a few have hinted it is a better compromise though. Some ppl - like me - want the grunt of the STi but not the decked out racer that the rest of the package provides. The WRX is nice but not as savage. Compromise - WRX with the PPP.

Brakes - definately better in the STI.
Suspension - too hard on STI round town - excellent at high speed.
Diffs - nice to have but I'll probably not notice 99% of the time.
Gear Box - 6 speed OTT? More time with clutch down than accelerator down!
Body Kit - lovely - apart from that scoop!
Interior - yep - gorgeous....as long as you like blue!

>I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

Yep - same here.

>I should know because we have both and I drive these cars all
>the time not just on a test drive.

That makes you a very lucky person. Whilst on my test drive I decieded that the only way to be totaly happy would be to buy both. The WRX for my weekday cruiser and the STi for the weekend fun!

Rich
Old 21 March 2003, 08:39 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular