ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Insurance - NCB protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2000, 02:03 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can someone remind me of the benefits of protecting the no claims? I have always left this off because someone once told me that even if you have a claim you don't lose your whole discount, maybe only a couple of years' worth.

However, for an extra £100 it seems sort of attractive especially in the light of my current radiator trauma.

By the way I've just got some outstanding quotes - always worth phoning around. Supercar the best (£510). Bell Direct the worst (£1212).

Gareth

Old 08 March 2000, 02:13 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

With protected NCB it usually gives you 2 complete write offs within 3 years without affecting your premium or NCB. Then you get the standard loss of a percentage of your NCB after that. AFAIUI that is.
Old 08 March 2000, 03:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

i had to make a claim last year when someone hit the **** end of my cossie and buggered off. It was the first claim i had ever made. i took out protected NCB just before the bump.
i got my no claims statement through this morning, it still has 6 years NCB on it.
will come in handy when i get my next bonkers car.
Old 08 March 2000, 07:54 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've only ever made one claim on my insurance (i.e. accident was my fault). At the time I had a protected NCB (65%) and I thought that apart from the excess, I had nothing to lose if a made a claim (damage probably £600 to repair).

Since then I have had some difficulty obtaining reasonable insurance quotes. Although these quotes accepted the NCB at 65%, the premium was higher because of my accident record. If I had known this at the time of the original claim, I might have been tempted to pay out of my own pocket rather than make a claim. Incidentally the cheapest I've managed to get was from Greenlight (£870 - 31 yrs, clean license, wife 28 also to drive, live just outside Glasgow).

As an aside, one company (Eagle Star Direct) has a very harsh approach to insurance quotations. I phoned for a quote, they asked:

"Have you had 3 or more accidents REGARDLESS OF FAULT in the last 3 years ?"

Unfortunately, apart the above claim, there were 2 other accidents which were not my fault so I had to answer: "Yes".
They then replied:

"Well I'm afraid, sir, that we are unable to give you a quote."

It seems that this company penalises you for being unlucky.

B******s.

D.

Old 08 March 2000, 08:10 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

JohnFelstead

An old bloke like you (and me) should get insurance dead cheap.

Cheers, John