Sponsored by:

Idiot Scooby virgin (oo-er!)

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 08:30 PM
DarranP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi guys (and gals?), this is probably something you are sick of answering by now but what advice can you give to someone looking for his first scooby?
I'm after a UK model, preferably '99 spec but definitely at least '97 spec.
I've read some of the stuff about piston slap etc and have been busy reading all my back issues of Evo to get a bit more clued up (hence why I would prefer a '99 spec), but I'd like some real-world advice from owners if possible.
I know that servicing isn't cheap (and is VERY regular) and fuel consumption leaves something to be desired but what other pitfalls can you warn me about?

TIA...............
Old 14 March 2003, 09:35 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Smile

The something to be desired is your own oil well
Watch out for unwanted attention from little shi##eads[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Other than that, a fantastic car that will make you feel
like this

Happy hunting
Greg
Old 14 March 2003, 10:12 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

You cant go far wrong with a 99 UK Turbo, I picked a nice standard one up from a dealer.

Oh and thats your problem with these cars, keeping them standard is tough, I've had mine nearly a year and its already gone from 215hp to 265+hp, what with decats and remaps and stuff! Good fun tho!
Old 14 March 2003, 10:16 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Check out the SIDC FAQ which should give you a bit more info...

I know there's alot of Sussex Scoob's out there, so it might be an idea getting along to a meet before you decide what to buy? You never know, one of them might even pop out to see a car with you if you think you need it

Just make sure you know what you want - there's plenty out there to choose from Btw, I have a MY98 which has never had any problems, just make sure you do all the check's you usually would do and listen to it from cold (and make sure it is cold!)..personally it was hte perfect car for us - it had a Scoobysport back box and the first time i heard it I feel in love!

Good luck, welcome to Scoobynet and have fun!

Jen
Old 14 March 2003, 10:21 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

One of the first things you'll notice is the various interior and exterior changes which happened in 98/99, the 98 cars run 208hp and the 99 runs 215hp (doubt it makes much difference), the front bumper has 3 slits on the earlier model and 2 on the 99.

During 99/00 the interior went from plain black to black with silver surrounds and colour coded mirrors and skirts.

I've got a 99 so its got more power and the nicer front end (matter of taste), but its not new enough to have the slightly nicer dash.

Pre 99 cars have 2 pot calipers which if you want to upgrade to the 4 pots as featured on 99 onwards cars then you'll be looking at £1300 upwards I think. And believe me, you need decent brakes on these cars!

Oh and the 99 Silver is Royal silver and is quite distinctive
Old 14 March 2003, 10:23 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Have a look in the "Southern" forum and find a meet to go to. You'll get shown how to spend a loads on mods etc, but more importantly, you'll get to see first hand what to look for and a better idea of just how quickly the fuel gauge goes down!
Old 14 March 2003, 10:25 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Oo - and make sure it has a FSH!! Very important, but pretty obvious I guess...don't be put off by aftermarket servicing, look out for TSL, Scoobysport, Power Engineering, Powerstation, Subaru 4U (sure there's loads others ) they are all experts in the Scooby field and I've found (and only IMHO of course!) use a better quality stuff and seem a whole lot more competent

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2003, 11:45 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

DarranP,
Where abouts in Sussex you from?

There are a couple of meets in Sussex every month. Come along you will be more than welcome esspecilly if you want to talk Scoobs all day
Theres the East Sussex meet nr Eastbourne and the West Sussex meet nr Crawley (Pease pottage services).

Iain.
Old 14 March 2003, 11:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

get yourself a 97 onwards jap import and u will save money!!

i see lots of people buy the lower speced uk cars then tune them up
why?
just buy the import and revel in a car that was designed to do 280bhp not a lower speced car thats been "tricked" into doing 280bhp

they cost more to insure tho, but u have to pay to play, i have a few mates with uk cars and tbh there pretty sick when they know of the spec of mine over theres, and the fact that its dam quicker etc etc, speaking to one tonite with s my99 uk car. swapping tech specs i said it had aircon "it slows u down" he said "it switches off automaticy when your foot is down to give full powr i replied" lol

i love mine to bits and ive only had it 2 weeks

just clocked 1000 miles in it as well
Old 15 March 2003, 02:28 PM
DarranP
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Where/when is the Eastbourne meet as I'm pretty close........
Old 15 March 2003, 02:30 PM
DarranP
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Come to think of it I'm not a million miles from Pease Pottage so when does that one happen? (I have a feeling I should look in the meets section before asking these daft questions.......)
Old 15 March 2003, 02:44 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

StickyMicky spot on, I had a UK and it was either mod and lose my warranty or buy the power out of the box. So I brought an import which cost me new the same price as a PPP MY01 but thats where the similarity ended. There are a lot more difference than just power between a UK and Japanese import. I dont think for an extra few hundred a year in insurance is a big penalty for 911 scaring performance .

[Edited by chrisp - 3/15/2003 2:45:28 PM]