Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thats definately the last time

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 07:56 PM
oz555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twice now I have given people (with supposed experience in driving fast cars) a go in my WRX. Both times they have bounced it off the rev limeter. Why do people do this. Is it not blatently obvious that the car has used up it's power curve indicating time to change up. Not only that,Both times we were sitting behind a slow car in third waiting to overtake, engine just nudging the sweetspot and the b#st#rds changed down into second, pracically stopping the car dead, THEN putting the foot down to overtake. What's wrong with these people, do other Subaru owners do this, may explain a few of the engine problems if they do. Then there's the corners, wet road, slamming into corners with the throttle off, makes me scared to think people drive cars like that on our roads. I feel stupid for allowing this to happen twice. Never again.

Anyway, rant over. Just be careful letting people drive your pride and joy.
Old 14 March 2003, 08:01 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I don't blame you - That's not the done thing, as I know one can drive Scoob very quickly while remaining smooth. I don't usually let other people near my Scoob... However, I did let a policeman friend drive it last week, so he could show me how to really drive. I was most impressed
Old 14 March 2003, 08:17 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

There will never and has never has been a first time with me.

No chance, bought the car for me to drive nobody else ?

[Edited by Steve777 - 3/14/2003 8:18:29 PM]
Old 14 March 2003, 08:24 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I dont let any of mates drive it. With all due respect they are use to at best a warm FWD hatch and most havent got a clue. Took a mate of mine out (very exeprienced ex-motorcycle instructor) and he commented how well the car went and then asked my why I short shifted, which isnt easy on a RA . Just told him that why bother going all the way to 7,500 redline or 8250 limiter when the car is losing power after about 6,500. So I dont tend to use more than about 5,500 when acelerating. Also it was quiet interesting to see the oil temps rise when you start using more revs. I try and keep it sub 100 degrees C. Never actually hit the rve limiter in the RA, I guess its just down to driver error .
Old 14 March 2003, 08:38 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I must suffer driver error a lot or drive cars that have their rev limiters set to low

How many people can claim really to have never hit a rev limiter ?

In an RA it might not be a problem as the power tails off after 4000rpm and you need castrating if you hit the limiter.
Still from what I hear most RA driver dont get out of 3rd

Jonathan
Old 14 March 2003, 09:14 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

did my first trackday today and have yet to hit the limiter on my scoob .... even missed a gear at one point, still caught it in time.
we shan't talk about the racing line though,
either that or my car is understeering like a bitch
or the fact I got black flagged for being too loud

My first trackday, 35 mins download time @56k

Andy
Old 14 March 2003, 09:42 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Never hit the rev limiter in my scoob or anyone elses. Its there to stop you breaking it, not to practice getting to.

Oh and Fuzz - its taken me 2 minutes

Just got to watch it now. Enjoy it? Ive never been on one, hopefully I'll change that soon.

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2003, 09:51 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

"the noisiest car out there at the minute" ??

a prelude, a westie and summat with a spoiler going at 35 mph, what did he EXPECT? :S

Looked like fun
Old 14 March 2003, 10:02 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Cool

MR2s have all the power after 4800 rpm up to 7850 in mk1 or 7200 in mk2, so i rev to the red line regularly, but i've never *****'ed up so never hit limiter, just learn how to shift quickly, in my mk2 i can keep foot to the floor between redline shifts without the revs rising, just got to be confident and precise with what you do with the stick and the clutch and fast obviously.
turbo's don't need rev's as you say though.
Old 14 March 2003, 10:06 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

as you could see I was first in the queue

too keen

there were 12 others behind me,
I caught the last few out of the pits up in what....two laps

as you can see only the westie got by me

Andy <<< Coat hanger grin

muchos fun
when's the next one
Old 14 March 2003, 10:09 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

From my RR dyno

4th gear run :

Max power at 6640 RPM @ 90mph
Max torque at 4280 RPM @ 57mph

Max speed of run 7500rpm @ 102mph

[Edited by chrisp - 3/14/2003 10:13:02 PM]
Old 14 March 2003, 10:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Must say I have been close to redline a few times but even though mine has a 7,500 rpm redline. Another guy on here has the same car as mine from the same limited batch and he has hit his at 8250.

With maximum power at 6640 and the lower gearing it starts to move at about 2,500 and the power curve is almost a straight line unitl it reaches 6000rpm. You have to change up to take your next breathe .
Old 14 March 2003, 10:23 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

I let a good friend drive my Scoob last year - what does he do as soon as the roads clear up? Bang off the rev limiter in 2nd gear! On an empty road in France - twit [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

His excuse - "It got there so quickly..." Bl00dy monkey. Won't be leting him near my car again in a rush

Oh, and I have nevvr hit the rev limiter in several thousand miles of Scoobing - why would I
Old 14 March 2003, 10:45 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Andy - how are the tyres?

"squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell", straight bit , "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel" etc etc ad infinitum :P

Old 14 March 2003, 11:10 PM
taylor
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used to bounce my Integra off the limiter all the time, but there's really no point in the impreza as it's well past it's best by 6k.

Oh! and Hondas engines aren't made of chocolate!
Old 14 March 2003, 11:13 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

only four laps.
just a bit toasted on the edge of the "roundabout tyre"

A lot better than some of the others *cough* """road""" *cough* tyres.
looked more like slicks to me.

Andy
P.s soz for highjacking the thread.
Old 14 March 2003, 11:32 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I let my mate drive my car and expected him to be poor (hes a vectra driver) - but to my amazement he was controlling the car very well - watching the rev counter and driving rapidly.

I was imprezza'd
Old 15 March 2003, 12:01 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Does depend a bit on what you are used to. In my old Vauxhall Calibra V6, the gears were so long and wide that I always changed up within 100 rpm of the limiter, with the result that I very occassionally messed up and hit it a few times. With my scoob, the power curve is almost flat from 5800-6800, so I rarely reach 7k. Hit the 7k4 limiter once - the day after I'd done the mods where it surprised me by not tailing off at 6000rpm.

People who aren't used to getting to 60 in under 10 seconds aren't always going to notice a small tail off in power. But they shouldn't be flooring something that's much quicker than they are used to, IMHO - It is then more of a worry if they suddenly arrive at a roundabout 40mph too fast.
Old 15 March 2003, 12:30 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like Hades said, it does depend what you're used to. When i had my downpipe fitted the car did catch me out a few times as it got to the limiter that fast.
On the subject of letting a mate drive my car - no chance. I have a lot of money in my car, and thats just what it is - all mine.
Old 15 March 2003, 02:51 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I lent my old WRX to a few friends, some I would never let touch any car of mine again. OThers I would have no problem at all.

IanW looked after my car when I went to America and I do believe it was the first Impreza he drove? Ian? The car came back to me cleaner than ever and well looked after.
Old 15 March 2003, 08:55 AM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Fuzz. This new broadband is cool
That looked wicked! Never been on a track yet. Where was it and how much do you pay for how many laps. Did I hear you getting your wrist slapped for being too loud???? Wat do they want you to do, slow down? You seemed to wake up when that kit car went past you. I bet the adrnalin rush after that is brilliant.
Well done.
Guy
Old 15 March 2003, 10:06 AM
wrxstiman
Scooby Regular

let someone drive my V5 type R a while back.

dont mind as long as they respect it and dont go mental.

i was expecting him to experience the power rush in a straight line...dont mind that

what did he do

never driven the car before but he hits a roundabout and toes it 360 degress right round the bugger nearly losing it and crashing into cars coming onto it from other exits.

bang goes the side walls on my eagle F1s...grrrrrr

took me a month to recover from my anger at the total lack of respect he showed.

He still asks to have another go but he can whistle.
Old 15 March 2003, 10:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with what you say Oz, I think it is selfish behaviour to treat someone else's property like you say. Maybe they are trying to impress everyone how good they are,or themselves perhap's. Or it is might be jealousy and they actually want to cause damage, I have seen people like that. What is even more annoying is that if they cause damage to the car they treat it as though it was your fault and they would never think of offering to pay for the repair.

I have learned the lesson and there is only one bloke I would allow to drive my car and that is my old school mate who has got the same model anyway.

Les
Old 15 March 2003, 10:56 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I've only let three people drive my car. One was my father in law who I know would'nt thrash it(got him insured fully comp especially), A friend of mine who is a very good driver(much better than me) and again I know he would'nt crash it. The other is a police driver who was a simply stunning driver and again I knew would'nt thrash or crash it.

I don't mind people having a drive, but they need to be fully comp on the car, a better driver than me and 120% trustworthy.
Old 15 March 2003, 12:30 PM
TwoCool-UK
Scooby Newbie

Wink

No way!!!
The only time someone else drives my scooby is when it goes to the garage for a service.
I say, you want to drive a scooby. Buy one.
Old 15 March 2003, 02:57 PM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

"I don't mind people having a drive, but they need to be fully comp on the car, a better driver than me and 120% trustworthy."

You don't see your car that often then? That's very Philanthropic of you Neil.
Old 15 March 2003, 03:04 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Yup Michelle, it was the first JDM impreza I had driven.

That car spent more time getting pampered when I had it, getting things that were bugging me sorted, e.g. a knock from the front end, heatshield rattling, full on valet!

Although this week I have been Scoobless as I have lent my car out to a company! (All will be revealed in the very near future) It is actually due back with me any time now, so I am sitting here on te computer listening for the engine noise
Old 15 March 2003, 06:36 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

I never hit the rev limited on my old Scoob. Until the day I was trading it in last year, and my new car was a few hours late. It is amazing how you can just sit at about 60mph in 2nd with your foot flat to the floor and the limiter keeping the revs perfectly still. You can do it for ages and ages (until you get bored in fact )

Who owns V985HAC now...?

BTW, I still hit the limited in my Civic Type R occasionally. It's still pulling so hard at 8,400rpm where the limiter cuts in that you feel like eking out all the usable revs, so every now and again you hold on slightly too long. Oh well...
Old 15 March 2003, 07:05 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bloody 'ell glad I don't.

The day I collected my Scoob my mate (who gave me a lift to the garage) was desparate to have a go and used every persuasive trick in the book to twist my arm (he's a salesman - dunno how good though ) I didn't give in and he had to settle for a pub lunch instead. I won't let anyone have a go - with a couple of very exceptional exceptions.

Saying that though if my Uncle hadn't let me take his one for a spin I'd now be the proud owner of a Civic Type R and no I did not hit the rev limiter and I treated the car with complete respect.
Old 15 March 2003, 08:01 PM
IwantAscoob
Scooby Regular

I let my best freind have a go in my renault 5gt turbo, no one ever gets behind the wheel of my cars, but being a really good mate, and i know hes a cool geeza, i let him have a spin in it, because he was not used to a turbo car, the revs in first gear when up much quicker than he expected, and he ringed the fookin guts out of it lol,

so beware who you let behind the wheel of ya pride and joy, thing is sometimes you feel like a right bast, having to say no sometimes. but no is the wise answer.

Quick Reply: Thats definately the last time