Sponsored by:

Is this well out of order or what?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 12:01 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9739&perpage=15&pagenumber =1

Ok give this guy a hardtime but voiding his warranty is plain vindictive. Obviously some of you will disagree. Let the debate commence
Old 14 March 2003, 12:21 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

On the face of it, it does look vindictive. But why should everyone suffer and pay more because of some unscrupulous individuals?
Old 14 March 2003, 12:28 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

clicky

Vindictive? No, I don't think so. If I was providing the warranty and someone tried to defraud me into paying a claim I think I'd tell him where to go as well.
Old 14 March 2003, 12:28 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry, but I think he got what he deserved.

Personally, I'm a bit fed up with people complaining about warranty issues after they've heavily modded their cars.

Not that long ago, we had someone claiming the he'd only had a warranty claim refused because IM or Prodrive had looked under his bonnet at a trackday. Yet a local dealer called me about the same car, to ask if I knew the owner, as they'd had a letter from IM invalidating his warranty, and listing what he'd done to the car. He'd changed so much under the hood, I thought he had a nerve calling it a Subaru!

People have to appreciate that if they do get carried away with their mods, they will undoubtedly be able to blow away other Imprezas, but will be killing off their warranties.

I've always kept mods on my 3 UK cars to a minimum, and have never had a warranty claim questioned let alone refused. IMHO, if you're going to mod a car, then do it on a Jap import where you know there's **** all warranty.

Josh
Old 14 March 2003, 12:32 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Thumbs down

He is not being victimised IMHO. Is the Michael Jackson syndrome, would he go back to god and say " hey my bloody nose has fallen off, and my skin bleeds, what you gonna do about it ".
And the tone of the posts submitted is just the way the Yanks banter anyway.
Old 14 March 2003, 12:35 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Yes but there was no need to 'stitch him up' like that. It was unnecessary. We had a term at School for people like that 'Rats'.

In that case next time i go to a Scooby meet, I'll bring a camera and take pics of all you're fully disclosed modded engines. Then send it to all you're insurance companies. See how you like it. LOL

I have read many posts on here asking how to make whiplash claims to get more money. Isn't that defrauding insurance companes?? Double standards methinks.

Pops-talking sense

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 3/14/2003 12:37:27 PM]
Old 14 March 2003, 12:39 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Popeye
Fine (looks under bonnet). Zero mod's there, and still 290bhp, must be an STi4.

( Homer mode on )

Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm import hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Good point about the fraudulent claims, I wonder why my insurance is so high, theres your answer.

[Edited by daiscooby - 3/14/2003 12:43:53 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2003, 12:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Subaru America will be laughing at all of them IMHO, all the way to the bank.

**** happens, people fraud big companies, and big companies stiff us all daily.

They were a bit harsh IMHO.
Old 14 March 2003, 12:45 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

In reality he was stupid going on that BBS spouting his mouth off. But regardless of whether he was defrauding the warranty, he just didn't deserve to be 'sold down the river.'

If it was you're mate doing the same would you ring the dealers? Think on that.

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 3/14/2003 12:46:08 PM]

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 3/14/2003 12:53:32 PM]
Old 14 March 2003, 12:52 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Popeye,

It's not as if Scoobynet would condone guidlines intended to defraud anyone, and anyone who doesn't declare their mods to their insurance companies is just plain daft.

There have been a couple of threads along those lines recently, but they were edited or deleted very quickly.

Anyway, from the mods listed, it's not as if it would have taken a brain surgeon to realise what he'd done to the car.

Josh
Old 14 March 2003, 01:03 PM
SeepyScoob
Scooby Regular

Very harsh I thought but it's obvious the guy was pushing his luck going from dealer to dealer. He was going to get refused anyway so why not just bite the biscuit and pay his dues.

Very entertaining thread though!!
Old 14 March 2003, 01:10 PM
mark d
Scooby Regular

Much as the guy did completely the wrong thing and did not deserve to get his car fixed under warranty I have a couple of points:

1) Ripping off insurance companies is not morally a problem when they constantly rip us off. How hard is it to get them to pay for anything? I have a clear case of a bus going into the back of my stationary car. I have to phone my insurance company every day to get them to do something as it will cost them more to chase this down than they will get back. An American insurance company employee told me that during his training he was told his role was to avoid paying claims to increase profit. I had a car written off a few years ago (again someone driving into the back of my stationary car) it tool almost a year of phoning, writtin letters etc. to get the value that the car was listed at in Parkers guide. Their first offer was 50% of the selling to trade value in Parkers.

Of course I wouldn't put in a fraudalent claim, but I can see why some people might...

2) I'm pissed off with Subaru anyway over the 9 grand depreciation that I have had on my STi 7 in less than a year.
Old 14 March 2003, 01:19 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Wink

'I'm pissed off with Subaru anyway over the 9 grand depreciation that I have had on my STi 7 in less than a year'

You chose to buy the bugeye yourself.
Old 14 March 2003, 01:23 PM
mark d
Scooby Regular

I did, and I like it. However to have your car replaced by newer model that is CHEAPER in under a year in not good. I was assured by the dealer that a new version wouldn't come out that quickly and that it would be more expensive.
Old 14 March 2003, 02:24 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

However to have your car replaced by newer model that is CHEAPER in under a year in not good
Look at how much could be saved by importing... That sort of price differential was unmaintainable and unjustifiable. My opinion is that the Focus RS, amongst other things, forced Subaru's hand.

I would be rather annoyed if I'd have got caught by this, admittedly, but I don't think it was trying deliberately to shaft people over.
Old 14 March 2003, 02:32 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Josh said...
Personally, I'm a bit fed up with people complaining about warranty issues after they've heavily modded their cars.

Not that long ago, we had someone claiming the he'd only had a warranty claim refused because IM or Prodrive had looked under his bonnet at a trackday. Yet a local dealer called me about the same car, to ask if I knew the owner, as they'd had a letter from IM invalidating his warranty, and listing what he'd done to the car. He'd changed so much under the hood, I thought he had a nerve calling it a Subaru!
The point was that the owner did not make a warranty claim and had no intention of doing so. He fully acknowledged that the extensive work he had done would void his warranty. Subaru merely presumed he was unscrupulous and so contacted his local dealers.
Old 14 March 2003, 02:48 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Different guy I think Pete. I think I know the one you were talking about, but the one I'm referring to was alleged to have put in a claim, although it didn't relate to anything he'd modified.

Mark,

The difference between insurance companies ripping us off, and visa versa, is that in their case it's called business, and in ours it's called fraud.

Everyone knows, and acknowledges that insurance companies main aim in life is to find a way not to pay a claim, or to pay less. Not declaring mods etc simply invalidates your insurance, which gives them an excuse not to pay a legitimate claim, and puts you in the position of driving without insurance.

I know the aggro I had trying to sort out a claim years back, after the broker made a mistake on the form, and the accident wasn't even my fault. They just wanted to use it as an excuse to save themselves work by killing off my claim. I can't bear to think what they'd do if you'd deliberately not disclosed something.

Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil.

Josh
Old 14 March 2003, 02:49 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Mark , you say the dealer assured you the new model wasnt going to come out till later and more expensive.

Dealer drivel to push you to buy the car. I bet he knew full well the new cars were coming out soon. Anyway's...

brett
Old 14 March 2003, 02:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I totally agree with that guy shopping him His attitude left alot to be desired [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] To try and rip people off is not on really. I just like his last 2 posts on the thread A lesson to all

Paul
Old 14 March 2003, 03:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

TBH, insurance is just daylight robbery, not business.

Monopoly, necessary evil etc etc, its not like we have a choice. I certainly dont know any poor insurance bods anyway One of my neighbours runs an insurance firm, has a nice Audi TT cab, and about 4 motorbikes. Obviously does alright
Old 14 March 2003, 03:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bloke is a plank. Firstly goes on the board telling people he's got a modded car which he has subsequently blown up (18 PSI with no gauges, AFR, etc ). The he goes back onto the (public) bulletin board and tells everyone how he has managed to sucker another dealer. Gets what he deserves.

Chris