MY03 PPP better car than UK STI

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 07:58 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK so I need a little something to attract an audience

Planning my next car move and obviously the Scooby is a contender, but which one ?

Being a model snob, it would have to be the STI, but the brain says the WRX is a better car.

My thoughts are:

The STI has a harsh ride. The WRX is a delight over roads I would slow up on in the STI. Sure I might get ultimate handling in the STI, but wouldnt most of that be on a track (dont plan on any track days). Day to day unless Ive got a major case of red mist wouldnt the WRX suffice ?

Power wise: Obviously the WRX with PPP would appear to be a quicker car than the STI. As much power and more torque, plus 75kg lighter

Even if I add the PPP to the STI I wonder what the real advanatge would be. Be interesting to see a graph overlay STI PPP vs WRX PPP. I always remember my RB5 WR being a lot more driveable than the P1. Too much lag. My guess is that overlayed the STI would only show some gains after 6000 rpm. Below that it would be equal ?

Brakes

Sure the STI has Brembos, but in all honesty unless on a track, I have never suffered fade in the three Impreza's Ive owned with four pot brakes.

OK the STI has a slightly nicer interior, the uprated (but more twitchy handling ?) and the cache of the STI badge. Trackstar is there, but my insurance company doesnt care on the WRX, so I'm not missing anything.

Both my blobby eye experience have been OK, but the UK300 PPP didnt really have the get up and go. The UK STI was more laggy than my hot water tank.

Anyone with some unbiased thoughts ?

Anyone driven both the STI8 PPP and WRX PPP

Jonathan
Old 11 March 2003, 08:09 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not fed up with the Golf already are you ?

Cant comment on IIIWRXPPP or IIIWRXSTIVIIIPPP as I havent driven either .
Old 11 March 2003, 09:55 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Chrisp

Not fed up, just maximising my exit strategy Wouldnt want to lose any money on it.

Interesting to see my thoughts must be correct as there are no opposing opinions.

So there we have it WRX better car than STI
Old 11 March 2003, 10:01 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Haven't driven the 03WRX PPP yet, but if the figures translate to the road then it will be very good, obviously.

I have had exactly the same thoughts as you, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of the Suretrac front diff on the WRX. I guess this would be more of a "shock" to me than you as I still have my STI7, but I vaguely remember it being a revelation when I first got the car.

I don't think the Brembos are anything special either.
Old 11 March 2003, 10:20 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the literature suggests that all the benefits of the PPP on the STi are to be found bellow 6000rpm, not above. I've not driven it yet, but I've read a few reviews, and there really aren't any complaints about lag! You may be right to compare the WRX PPP and the standard STi, but I think an STi with PPP is going to be a much quicker car. In performance terms, you've also got to consider the advantages of having a 6 speed gearbox, against the WRX's 5. Don't under-estimate the influence that ratios have on a car's ability to accelerate.
Old 11 March 2003, 10:33 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I have had exactly the same thoughts as you, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of the Suretrac front diff on the WRX. I guess this would be more of a "shock" to me than you as I still have my STI7, but I vaguely remember it being a revelation when I first got the car.
Ive spoken to a few people that have tuned and driven both and some feel the ability to eat the miles makes up for the lack of Suretrac. In my poor driving experience it was only on really tight bend/roundabouts that I noticed it.

All the literature suggests that all the benefits of the PPP on the STi are to be found bellow 6000rpm, not above. I've not driven it yet, but I've read a few reviews, and there really aren't any complaints about lag! You may be right to compare the WRX PPP and the standard STi, but I think an STi with PPP is going to be a much quicker car. In performance terms, you've also got to consider the advantages of having a 6 speed gearbox, against the WRX's 5. Don't under-estimate the influence that ratios have on a car's ability to accelerate.
You could be right, but the turbo on a PPP WRX will pick up sooner than on the STI with PPP. That translates into everyday driveability. When you overlayed for example my old RB5 WR and my P1, power wise came in earlier in the RB5 and matched the P1 to 6000. It was only after that did the bigger turbo have more power. Now the same could be true WRX vs STI. The STI should have more torque from say 2750 upwards - maybe 30lbft, but power will be earlier in the WRX and my guess is match it untill 6000 rpm again. Dont forget the WRX is that 75 kg lighter which is some compensation.

Yes the STI has 6 gears. How much of that just helps sales rather than performance ? Isnt it just one more gearchange to fluff ?

Ultimately the real difference on the road between a car with such a small difference in power and torque conterbalanced with weight will me minimal ?

Jonathan
Old 11 March 2003, 10:46 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Chins,

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't understand why people describe the STi's ride as harsh. Compared with the P1 it's positively luxurious.

Josh
Old 11 March 2003, 10:52 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Josh

I took the STI along the same road as the WRX, and it certainly wasnt smooth in comparision. What I have been told by people in the know is that 18" wheels help on the STI - something you have I believe.

What I do need is to find a dealer that has both a WRX PPP and STI PPP to have a go in back to back. Havent managed to convince my local dealer to splash the cash.

Jonathan
Old 11 March 2003, 10:53 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chins

Interesting argument and I can see the logic, however...

If you do get another scooby I would put money on it you will go for another STI with PPP. Cant see you settling for a bogo Wrex even with PPP, whatever you say the Sti is the more exciting if slightly more twitchy on the limit option.

Prove me wrong....

To be honest it took me a while to gain confidence to push my STI7 any harder than my old MY01 WRX which was very predictable and understeered progressively on the limit. The harder you drive the STI the more rewarding it does become even if the slippers scared the wee out of me at first.

Is it any faster than a PPP WRX?

On the road I suspect there is little in it and only driving at loony speeds would prove this issue, far more probably down to the level of madness OF the drivers than anything.

The Sti always seems a bit more special when I get into it than the standard Wrex but its all down to personnal choice rather than ability or logic IMHO

Go on Chins re-join the gang, time for another scooby!

Old 11 March 2003, 11:02 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm trying to be very open minded on this. I am trying to argue the point from the WRX side, but really want to hear why the STI would be a better bet.

It'll probably lose more
Cost more to run
Be more nickable
And it has got that HUGE ugly scoop - when will there be a good alternative ?

On the positive side it does have gold wheels to keep the cuddly Mr Lewis happy

Jonathan
Old 11 March 2003, 11:27 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Solve all your problems and buy my M3. Probably worth about WRX money by now...... !
Old 12 March 2003, 07:54 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I replaced the S3 with a blobby8..I'd had a MY01 WRX for about 5 months and hated it..basically I only like scoobs(over A.N.Other marque) because they were/are raw driving machines (hence the 22 instead of the P1 at the time) and the slow(er) steering rack and bus-sized steering wheel of the WRX just killed the bugeye wrx for me.
I've run the '03 STI on 18" wheels from new and the ride is on a par with the S3 for comfort and road/wind noise, of course the dash is still horribly plasticy and the little steering wheel is (despite being better sized) damn tacky looking too.
I'm still in the queue for the PPP, banking on it making the car more exciting below 4krpm..
From what I've seen of the STI ppp power curves it'll have better reponses than the WRXppp everywhere on the curve btw.
Ummm in summary I like 'em twitchy and the gearbox and quickrack are integral for that..I'd probably agree with the Evo review that the WRXppp is a 'more accomplished' all rounder though.
Have fun deciding,
Chuck
Old 12 March 2003, 09:10 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't worry mate,

I'll put you right on Friday.

Ian
Old 12 March 2003, 09:28 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've had an 01 WRX, then PPP'd it, then changed to an 02 STi7, then PPP'd it. While the 01 WRX is not the same car as the 03 WRX I guess this qualifies me to comment.

On paper the PPP'd WRX may be similar spec to the standard STi but there were lots of other benefits at the time I changed. Suspension - this is a little stiffer, but by no means harsh, it's spot on in my opinion, firm enough to give good handling at speed but still OK for long motorway jaunts. Gearbox - 6 speeds are probably more pub talk than real benefit but 6th is a serious cruising gear so assume you have a 5 speed box but with an extra overdrive to say fuel on the motorway. Plus the short shift is a big improvement. Steering - little bit quicker - very nice, but needs a smaller wheel, sorted on STi8. Brakes - I faded WRX brakes once, thro Milton Keynes, roundabout, nail it, stand on brakes, roundabout, nail it etc etc. STi Brembos havn't faded but apart from this they are also a lot nicer the rest of the time, hugely powerful and very reassuring. Diffs - you don't know they're there, which of course is how it should be. With the PPP'd WRX there were a couple of times when it surprised me and darted off in all sorts of directions, presumably as all four wheels spun. The STi does none of this, you feel the front diff bite through the steering as a small squirm but then it just goes. Fantastic.

Then of course you can PPP the STi too. That is just marvellous. Fills in all the hesitation below 4000 rpm, which actually isn't lag, it's just not boosting. Plus pulls right through to 7500rpm. Thats how the STi should have been from day 1, it's how all performance cars should be. Plus the STi8 has Ecutek PPP which is meant to be even better.

Get the STi, PPP it, you won't regret it.
Old 12 March 2003, 09:57 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Sure the STI has Brembos, but in all honesty unless on a track, I have never suffered fade in the three Impreza's Ive owned with four pot brakes.
You've never driven a mountain pass then

I found my STi8 very uncompromising in the Twisties & was much quicker in the RB5, after I fitted a strutt-brace, the STi suddenly calmed down and became a much more effective b-road weapon Now much quicker than the RB5 and certainly make good use of the Brembo's! The only problem now is that damn turbo lag!

Old 12 March 2003, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've gone for the WRX with the intention of adding the PPP later. Speaking to my insurers, the PPP would add about 90 quid to the year's policy.

Expect a back-to-back review against a PPP STI sometime soon

The STI's ride was great, apart from the "bouncy" thing that felt like a resonance in the suspension set-up. Harshness I can live with, the bouncing drove me up the wall. A comment from a couple of people in the know suggested that the dampers need some bedding in which could explain why the springs felt almost uncontrolled sometimes.

The diffs, gearbox and brakes (the brakes are phoenomenally superb, from initial bite to feel to power - everything about them is stunning) make the STI much more of a driver's car.

But it hasn't got 5 doors

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 12 March 2003, 10:50 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Chins,

I've not driven the STi8(3) in anger, but I've driven the new WRX in anger (well ish).. and IMO, for an everyday car (especially if trackdays aren't on your list) I'd opt for the WRX with PPP, even in standard form the new WRX feels more spritely than the '01/'02 models did. It is also more comfortable over nasty B roads, I personally think the whole package will get you from A to B feeling a little more relaxed than if done in the STi, but at the same time you can still be a hooligan if you want to!

When I can afford to change, I've decided that the WRX with PPP is the route for me, as I do a reasonable amount of miles and would use it as my day-to-day car.

Alex
Old 12 March 2003, 11:05 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Growing soft in your old age Alex!
Cman
Old 12 March 2003, 11:07 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

newbie, here, been in both cars, My bro has just bought the STI PPP '03 model, and the car is great extremely smooth and cannot be compared to any previous models as scooby have completely changed the car.

albeit he has changed from a Civic Type R so smooth is somthing he hasnt been used to for a while, but the suspension is very forgiving and there is no noticable noise in the cabin. the car is absolutely fantastic.

as is the warranty, they are very fair with the STI model albeit that is probably the same as the WRX.
and 1 other thing you get one more cog to play with .4 of a second quicker in standard form but even faster when PPP'd plus a few more little bits and pieces
Old 12 March 2003, 11:12 AM
rakh1
Scooby Regular

I am in the same boat...

I can afford either car BUT cannot make up my mind.

I have yet to test drive the STI (will be doing so soon), but it is the spec that is giving me a hard time to make my mind up.

WRX - lighter, less ugly scoop, side-airbags, more economic.
STI - faster, 6 gears, bigger brakes, change light, front diff.

On either car I would fit 18's and I would put the STI wing on the WRX. So - looks will be similar. If I get the WRX it will be PPPd, not sure if I would have the $$$ to do the STI.

I am hoping a test drive will make my mind up!

R
Old 12 March 2003, 11:18 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

I have a wrx 03 with ppp fitted and did look at purchasing a sti8 but with a ppp fitted it hovever was just out of my price range this time.With 265ps and weight of 1395kg i think it is going to be quite a quick package for the money i paid £21k including mica blue metalic paint,PPP,boot load liner,wrx matts.With the interior of the the car i have Prodrive Gear **** and gear shift surround in alu which has brightened it all up a bit.However in my opion i feel both wrx and sti8 look like they are both on stilts on the standard suspension and as soon as lowering springs become available will loook to change.

John
Old 12 March 2003, 11:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I think if you went for the STI you'll also want the PPP.

Bear in mind that that adds 2 grand to the price. WRX PPP is only 1600 quid. The price difference is getting bigger...

Either car is fantastic; you can't really go wrong. I was in the same boat - could go for either, but I couldn't justify the extra moolah for the STI as it would be stretching the finance a little more. Plus no 5 door sti sorta helped make my mind up
Old 12 March 2003, 11:22 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Smile

i suppose budget can leak into the equation my brother is calling his car an unopened christmas pressy at the mo as he has yet to get the garage to fit the Prodrive package,

I see where a lot of you are coming from but i read somwhere that the WRX becomes quicker when fitted with the PPP but the STI becomes an animal when its fitted. its all what floats your boat but the extras on the STI if bought and fitted to the WRX afterwards would cost a lot of money, also residuals will be slightly better in the STI when it does come to the time to part,

i think they are both great cars but i think personally that the STI has the edge and is well worth the extra penny's
Old 12 March 2003, 11:24 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Red face

Chiark, how many miles before the bouncing settles out?
Went for a long run yesterday and thought the ride was fine (read no worse than my MY99) untill I got to a certain section of road and it started bouncing exactly like you described. I also can live with a harsher ride but the bouncing has got me a bit worried but hopefully you can confirm it's going to get better (please!!!)
Old 12 March 2003, 11:25 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old Fart,

Yes, it would appear I am!
And guess what, I was actually referring to the 5 door WRX as well! (although Subaru are going to be doing a nice body kit for it, so that would be a must)

Alex
Old 12 March 2003, 12:12 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I know I have an STI 7 with PPP so am bound to be a little biased.
BUT........this car cost me £24000 with 5000miles on the clock and in my opinion looks better than the new shape. It already had 18" wheels fitted and looked very well looked after. Shame it found me as its new owner but nevermind. Yes it did go bang after a couple of days but I have to say I now enjoy driving again and have spare cash in my pocket every month Please dont try and tell me that a new standard WRX even with the PPP is a better/faster car.
Chins just buy another Subaru like I did rag it every day,put some xenon lights on it and spend a grand or so on in-car and keep it for more than six months. With the money your saving over M3`s and the like spen it on ****** and drugs and booze just like I do

[Edited by ARRON BIRD - 3/12/2003 4:13:47 PM]
Old 12 March 2003, 01:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I dunno about the "bouncing" - but am glad I'm not alone. I've been offered another test drive in a few thousand miles, so will let you know then.

Arron, what's "better" in some people's opinion doesn't match "better" in others... "Better" is subjective, otherwise we'd all be driving around in exactly the same car!

Horses for courses mate. As long as you're happy, at the end of the day that's all that matters. If you prefer the looks, you obviously are; it's a face only a mother could love (grin, duck, run)
Old 12 March 2003, 01:32 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Nick, I also encounter 'bouncing' and agree it can feel like a resonance set up in the suspension under certain conditions on the motorway...solution is to avoid the motorway..in fact try to avaid going more than 250yds without changing direction. Car's 1100 miles old now and feels like it may be settling down though.
C
Old 12 March 2003, 01:44 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Chiark it is each and every one........
I pick my car up today after finally getting the in-car sorted. I hope it sounds good.
Alpine single din head unit,Alpine V12 4 channel amp,Diamond front door speakers with crossovers and stuff,Diamond rear parcel shelf speakers and a Diamond 12" sub. Oh and a lot of Dynamat stuff!!!
Pick it up tonught......fingers crossed.
Old 12 March 2003, 01:56 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for all the input. Its nice to see so many familiar/experienced posters on this thread

Great to see no slagging and just good input.

Ive managed to look at the numbers STI PPP vs WRX PPP and have to say it looks like a noticeable difference.

For me its the price justification. Not the fact that I cant afford it (even though I work in Telecoms )

Not sure I'd agree the STI will depreciate less, think they will be even. I know I couldnt buy a std STI it would have to have a PPP. Otherwise for £3k less I could of had the faster WRX. But add the PPP and I'm looking at £5k. It does seem a lot for not a huge amount more.

Keep the comments coming

Jonathan

Quick Reply: MY03 PPP better car than UK STI