Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "For sale Forum"

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 06:22 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is going on ?? The amount of dealers??? Some of the adverts are crazy... No logic???? people asking mad prices..little info.. very little feedback and many Timewasters.

So we are not allowed to comment about it (Well neil reccons we cant)??? why not . Its the fastest moving forum and is important.

How about a " Before you post please take time to get facts /prices correct. Dont waste a buyers time. Do ensure it does get sent...... and make sure you wrap it to protect the item."
Note as part of the rules also... Make it equal... for the buyer.
Old 10 March 2003, 06:24 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Luke

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=174215

Gives the reason why we can't comment on the prices and goods being offered there.

If you have any ideas how we can make for sale better, please email me or one of the other mods.
Old 10 March 2003, 06:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

From The Sticky At The Top Of The Forum...

The Scoobynet "FOR SALE" forum is for non-commercial private sales only. If you wish to advertise commercially on Scoobynet please contact
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk or
shaun@scoobynet.co.uk to discuss Banner Ads or Scoobyshop (information regarding Scoobyshop can be found here ).

All posts and threads within the "FOR SALE" forum must only contain information pertaining to the advertising of goods, or the request for information about such goods. Replies to adverts complaining / questioning the price or quality of the goods are harmful and often misleading and are therefore not allowed. For this reason, "buyer beware" is also an important consideration.

Scoobynet takes no responsibility for any transactions being made between seller and buyer.

Any posting that contravenes any of the above, will result in immediate removal without explanation. Repeat offending may result in your details being published and further action (including legal action) taken.

Your posting within this forum indicates you acceptance of these terms.

Luke

Thank you for mentioning this. In conjunction with the TP&D that everyone agrees to upon signing up to Scoobynet, we make every effort to ensure that all posts within the FS forum are dealt with fairly.

Of course, we totally disaprove of commercial adverts but sometimes people can be somewhat devious so we need YOUR help to identify the rogue traders in order to deal with them. Please report (RTM or Report To Moderator) any posts that you consider or know to be traders.

AS to the content of the threads posted by the vendor, I'm afraid we can do little to assist. The vendor is advertising the product & a clearly worded advert, possibly with pictures, full details and a guide as to the price either offered or expected will assist the vendor in obtaining the price required and a quick sale.

Comments questioning the price of someone's goods are not helpful & will be edited/deleted as necessary - imagine it was you doing the selling...

Whilst I'm on the subject, items that are for sale for friends, rabits and relations are disaproved of and may be edited/deleted as well. This is a FREE service for Registered Scoobynet Members - not, as I said, just any Tom, Dick & Harry.

In addition, posts refering to items advertised on other BBS, websites, publications etc are also likely to be edited/removed. Two reasons, one that the forum is highly busy as it is & secondly why should the other advertising medium get the benefit of the revenue and internet traffic?

Those posts that refer to items as above & that are NO relation to the poster, will be just plain deleted - that is just plain daft! Advertising stuff for people you don't even know & again wasting SN bandwidth and advertising potential.

We are taking steps to change the way FS is run and would ask everyone to bare with us until those changes are made.

So once again Luke, I would like to thank you for posting and would again ask for your, and other people's, assistance in making the FS forum a useful resource for the Private Scoobynet Vendor Member

Old 10 March 2003, 06:42 PM
Luke
BANNED

Cool

Puff

Such kind words..!!
Old 10 March 2003, 07:05 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything that says you can't pass reasonable comment on a FS thread.

However, most of the comments we are trying to crack down on are unhelpful, misleading, inaccurate and irrelevant. Posts along the lines of 'I got a better one for £....', 'That's a bit steep', 'I can't believe people are interested in that sh*t' etc are unacceptable, and will be deleted.

However, if you think a description is insufficientor ambiguous, I certainly wouldn't edit a post along the lines of 'is that the standard one?' etc, on the basis that it's a legitimate question that could be posed by a potential buyer. If you think there's something misleading or suspicious about an item or seller, don't post a facetious remark, contact the moderators.

Virtually everyone I know who's posted in FS has been a victim of this. I lost a sale myself recently due to the postings of a couple of idiots that I'd never heard of.

FS sometimes seems to attract people when they are bored, and they feel they have to pass comment, they don't. If you're bored go join the muppet forum.

Josh
Old 10 March 2003, 07:37 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
the biggest thing that annoys me re the For Sale section, is when a seller doesnt indicate how much they are looking for, and just say offers

A lot of the time I dont have a clue on how much things are worth, and would like an idea of price so I can consider it, instead of wasting time making enquiries

I know it is buyer beware, but I have lost out on a number of items, due to the seller not accepting first come first served basis, even if the offers are the same

this has put me off buying in a big way from SN, but I guess that is my descision, and it is down to the individual seller at the end of the day, how they construct their ads

Steve
Old 10 March 2003, 07:47 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

so........if someone asks a price for a product and a member of scoobynet finds it cheaper on the net (brand new) i think its our obligation to the other scoobynet members to post how much that particular product costs.....
especially when the seller attaches other websites that state the maximum price for that product.
thus by doing this we will protect each other....as a nice family we all are....

that is all
Stav

Trending Topics

Old 10 March 2003, 07:56 PM
Luke
BANNED

True words Stavros !!!
Old 10 March 2003, 08:06 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Scenario
I'm new to Scoobynet and fancy buying some STi7 Wheels, bloke says he wants £850 for them, ok I think and go away to count my money.
Come back a day later and other people have added their 2 pence worth on the thread and told the seller that you can buy new wheels for the same price as what he's asking and he drops the price by £200 and no hard feelings. What is wrong with that??
Buyer Beware my ****, I'd much rather know that I was paying over the odds and pull out before I coughed up the dough then get stung through naivety.
Just my opinion of course.

Old 10 March 2003, 08:15 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
One I have seen is another like this

I wont mention names or products, or this post will get deleted , nor will I add a comment on the thread

A part is for sale currently in the for sale section, and the price wanted is the same as brand new, I would not buy anything (knowingly)full price 2nd hand from SN, if I can get the same part brand new from a dealer, who is bound by law, and you get warranty etc

Old 10 March 2003, 08:32 PM
Luke
BANNED

"As it has been used......."
Old 10 March 2003, 08:40 PM
Luke
BANNED

I think that anyone posting anything on a public forum knows they might get positive or negative replies...

Some folk dont play fair.... and some of us do.Stavros is correct we should look after each other.
Old 10 March 2003, 08:43 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, but it goes both ways.

Example.... A guy is selling STi wheels, and wants about £850, which over optimistic, and someone offers £600. Another dick sticks his oar in, telling the buyer he should snap the guys arm off for the £600, despite the fact that them same wheels are selling on SN for £700-£750.

I'm sorry but that's hardly a community spirit, and such comments are at best the actions of an ill-informed moron, or at worst colusion between two members against a third. I might be new to this moderating lark but I will, and have, removed such comments.

I don't wish to see any members 'turned over', but people really should make some effort to ascertain whether something is worth what is being asked. Surely people who are after say a SS backbox, are looking on SN because they don't want to pay list price, and must therefore have some idea of the RRP.

However, most of these 'I got a better/same one for £......' posts don't back up their statement with a potential source. How helpful is it to post 'I picked up exactly the same thing, new, for half that last week, but I can't say where?

As I said in my earlier post, if people feel that a seller is deliberately misleading people, is a dealer or might be up to no good, then report the thread. Moderators are here to help everyone.

Josh
Old 10 March 2003, 09:01 PM
Luke
BANNED

So............

For sale. what ever etc etc

Someone replies and asks others that they are interested in the item but want some info on the asking price or what they should offer????

How should this be handled??? Deleted???? why??? they are asking for help. Agree it can be done 2 ways.... simple facts /opinions or rude/sly comments.

So what should we do??
Old 10 March 2003, 09:21 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

since all transactions in the for sale section have nothing to do with scoobynet everyone has the freedom of speach to express whatever he/she likes.
i still insist on my previous statement....
Old 10 March 2003, 09:23 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry Luke, but that's the sort of ridiculous statement that defeats your argument.

Although I agree that people should include a starting price, surely you have to accept that most people are now reluctant to include the price because of the type of posts we're trying to crack down on. I've had this conversation with a couple of sellers today, and I've actually been guilty of the same thing myself for that very reason.

However, where has it been posted that you can't ask for a starting price? The fact is that it hasn't.

Hopefully, with the mods cracking down on the idiots, people will feel happier including a guide price in their ad, and the situation will effectively resolve itself.

Josh
Old 10 March 2003, 09:24 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

As someone who's bought and sold quite a lot (non commercial i might add) i thought i would just add some pointers or observations from my 3-4 years of buying and selling on snet, its no way indicative of anyone, just some things friends and i have noticed and commented on in the pub.

1. sometimes i ask for a price and i get nothing but posts/emails offering me a fraction of what the price i put there, so what was the point of putting a price?

2. on other occasions i'll put offers because after trying step 1, people seem to think that because poster 1 has offered £5 for a link ecu, then poster 2 can offer £6 and im going to accept it.... so i put offers in the vain attempt i'll get something remotely sensible offered, but then you are criticised for not putting a price, and if you do put a price, refer to step 1 for what happens next. Bear in mind some people put offers because they are also not aware what something is worth...

3. the first person replying to a sale post does not necessarily get first refusal to purchase an item unless they ask for it and this is accepted by the seller. Numerous occasions ive put something up, then someone has made a totally speculative offer, ive refused it, only for the first poster to get the raging hump when a second poster says ill take it at the asking price, because they thought they had first refusal.... what gave them the right to purchase an item just because they posted first? If thats the case you could put btt on every sale post as soon as it appears and be the first poster and get first refusal on everything

4. on the flip side, if i tell someone they can have an item, i would not accept a higher amount to sell it to someone else unless the prospective buyer pulls out first, wish that was always the case tho when ive attempted to buy things though..

5. Something that may appear reasonably priced to bob from london, but might be vastly over the top for what fred from aberdeen could get it for locally second hand, does this make the sale a rip off or a bargain? That depends on the seller and the buyer and as long as both parites are happy, whats the problem?
The fact is bob from London is happy, he has something he wants at a price he is happy with and fred from aberdeen doesnt buy it as he can get better elsewhere, should the seller really get posts saying its overpriced etc ? (a chronic example but you get the drift).

6. cash or postal orders mean goods get sent straight away, cheques (unfortunately) mean they are sent on cleared funds. Now its fairly common for MOST banks to take 5 working days for a cheque to show as cleared in MOST accounts, but this doesnt deter people from shouting and moaning on day 3 because the money left there account yesterday and the goods havent arrived the day after, think before you email that stroppy note. In this day and age why pay by cheque when you can pay in cash yourself to the sellers bank (and have proof) or you can transfer over the internet.

Old 10 March 2003, 09:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

PT

Good & valid points - thank you

Old 10 March 2003, 09:32 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Ditto PT, good post.

I'm afraid there will always be an element of supply and demand in pricing, even on SN

Josh
Old 10 March 2003, 09:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

On a slightly different subject line there was talk not so long ago of the for sale section being tweaked so that the uglyness of continued BTT cause there is so much going on maybe addressed. IE seperate sections 4 different goods, cars part other etc was my understanding
Where does this stand then with any modifications (im addicted 2 mods & no not moderators lol just jestin i respect yer fine work )
Any news peaps?
Si
(available 4 any mod needs BTW since im on here all day every day anyhow )
Old 10 March 2003, 09:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

PT

I remember them "boost guage" days

Si

There should be a major shake-up of FS in the near future. Although the split forums could be a short-term solution, it's been decided to (at the mo) wait until the major modifications are completed & do it all at once. That may change however.
Old 10 March 2003, 09:47 PM
Luke
BANNED

Josh

can you read my post again... and then tell me what the hell was wrong with it???

If a Part is for sale and someone asks the other members of scoobynet if the price is "Right" etc ... or what price to offer

Whats wrong with that?????

There is an item that I might have bought for sale now here on SN. I asked for help on the matter and was informed by a very well informed member to "Leave it alone..."

Whats wrong with that????
Old 10 March 2003, 09:53 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Luke

Nowt wrong with that as long as it wasn't in FS forum & as long as it wasn't on the thread of the person selling it...

Suggested location in the Tech Forum of the item concerned

"What would a 2nd hand widget made by Widget's Inc be worth?" or something simillar...

BUT no link to the item being sold & no direct comparisons to it either...
Old 10 March 2003, 10:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

& i must say still luv the 4 sale thing & the good ole days r still with us as i'm awaiting delivery of a certain part that i haven't paid 4 yet. Top man although i reckon this may only work if u have my trustworthy good looks lmao.
Si
Old 10 March 2003, 10:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Trust

There is still a lot of trust going on out there but it exists between members of heritage & long standing & knowledge...

Recently been quite happy to send something straightaway to someone I "knew" (as in "face" in East End parlance ) & cheque turned up a week later BUT for someone else flogging some wheels, I took a trip to Shropshire to check 'em out before parting with cash - 300 mile journey (combined with a meet). The guy was 110% genuine but he wasn't known to me, so I took reasonable precautions.

Its still there BUT be aware & take care

Old 10 March 2003, 11:12 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Luke,

Your post clearly suggests that a post enquiring about a price or what to offer might be deleted, and asks why.

That's what I found ridiculous, and everyone I asked to read it interpreted it in exactly the same way.

That might not be what you meant, but that's what you wrote.

Josh
Old 10 March 2003, 11:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

realy...
Old 10 March 2003, 11:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

Cant understand the problem.... If its a good question related to the possible purchase of the item for sale.. Why should we be so uptight about it all???
Old 10 March 2003, 11:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Stav

since all transactions in the for sale section have nothing to do with scoobynet everyone has the freedom of speach to express whatever he/she likes.
i still insist on my previous statement....
Well, they have quite a lot to do with SN.

Freedom of speech is allowed but only within the guidelines set down under the TP&D to which you agreed when you signed up to SN, also the sticky at the top of the FS forum & the rule interpretation (underwritten by TP&D) by the relevant FS mods.

I will re-iterate one of my previous posts that anything that is not seen to be condusive to allowing a vendor to advertise an item(s) for sale at a price that he/she sees fit, will be edited/deleted as required.

At the end of the day, no-one is forcing someone to buy something If its a m8, then you should have email or phone capabilities & be in a position to advise them off-bbs that something may or may not be kosher/legit/vfm/whatever...

The FS forum is not a discussion forum.

& again going back, if everyone helps us (like Luke this evening has done - ta! ) by RTMs & emails, then the FS forum will become a better & more chilled environment that we can all be proud of.

I think the guidelines under which the FS mods work ATM have been clearly stated here. Help us to apply them fairly & then we'll all have less to worry about

Old 11 March 2003, 07:38 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ultimately the mods are just trying to protect genuine sellers from malicious posters who either :
a - have a grudge against the seller and want to make their sale difficult. or
b - random idiots who just enjoy winding people up so post garbage on the for sale threads just to get a response/rise.
Unfortunately this can work the other way around and 'dodgy' sellers would also benefit from the mods hard work.
It's a tough one to get just right for sure...but I see more unhelpfull comments from cat a and b above than willfull overpricing by sellers, so think it's being done right.
C

Quick Reply: The "For sale Forum"