Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI 5 type R vs P1

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 10:35 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your opinions on the above cars?
How reliable are the jap imports and do they need the octane booster?
Do they have a speed limiter and is there anybody that will service them not too far away from bournemouth?
Is there much difference between the two in terms of handling and speed, even though a P1 is basicly a STI?
Old 10 March 2003, 11:13 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Both excellent cars.
The import STi however will need more care when it comes to modding as the ecu was mapped to run on the higher octane level jap fuel. For this reason it is recommended that they are run on a good super unleaded or optimax with octane booster also (millers, NF).
If the car is freshly imported from Japan it is likely to be limited to 110mph, this is easy to get around and can be a good thing if the car has never been above that speed.
Quite a considerable cost saving over the P1, so the mods needed to make it safe (remapped ECU, Link etc) could be added along with Exhaust, gauges, filter, wheels, uprated fuel pump, etc..

I think the Type R will be slighter quicker than the P1 due to its shorter gearing (not a lot shorter). I know mine has pulled away from the P1's ive come across.
There is a growing number of reputable garages who can service the imports but i dont know about Bournemouth.
Old 10 March 2003, 12:58 PM
scoobystan
Scooby Regular

i own a STi V5 Type R but i also get regular use of a P1!
To be honest even though the P1 is what it is etc, etc. I would go for the Type R, it is harder and sometimes a pain in town and traffic due to gear ratios and heavier clutch but you do get more toys, the diff for example or electric folding mirrors etc.
Fuel wise they are rougly equal and although i used to wish to own a P1 i have settled for my type R more so now than ever.
Hope this answers a few q's?
Old 10 March 2003, 03:40 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Also, do they do an STI 6 type r
Old 10 March 2003, 04:05 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

hello m8

go for an sti v5 type R v-limited with a p1 front end look

Old 10 March 2003, 05:25 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
i owned a typer version 5 before i traded it in for a p1. For the use i put my cars to it was a good move. I do a lot of motorway driving and havent been on a track. I found the diff control a pain in the wet and im not really a real wheel drive experience fan. The p1 returns better fuel ecomony through the gearing and imho a less firm ride.

If you want real wheel type handling and track the car then get a typeR. Performance wise they are pratically identical, maybe the typeR is faster acceleration, but theres so little in it its barely worth mentioning.

Im happy with my switch. The sti has a few extra toys that the p1 hasnt got, but the P1 comes with warranty, bigger wheels, peter stephens breath of styling, and not forgetting that lovely blue paint

All boils down to horses for courses, not forgetting the P1 is more expensive than an sti.