Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test drove the STi last night

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 12:27 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i mean what was the point - looks great but the car had 12 miles on the clock so the dealer wouldn't let me take it over 4000 rpm. duh! I have to say, it felt a lot softer than my bog standard 2000 turbo - really spongey feel around town. does the PPP do anything to combat this low rev softness?
Old 04 March 2003, 12:37 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The one I've driven with PPP was fantastic low down, and explosive above about 3.8kRPM.

Old 04 March 2003, 12:40 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Here we go again, not as good as what I am driving blah blah blah. I have driven and owned 2 classics, 1 bug eye and now an Sti8. The Sti8 already feels a much superior car to previous. The sponge feeling as you call it is probably due to the car only having done 12 miles. You haven't said what your car is standard or otherwise. I have already uprated the exhaust on mine, centre Decat, resonator and firestrom BB and the car pulls quite well below 3500 RPM without PPP.

It is a much better car or why would IM release it ? The engine won't free up properly til there is about 5K on it in my opinion & my experience having now owned 4 Scoob Turbo's from new

Steve
Old 04 March 2003, 12:53 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

My current car was the standard 2000 turbo with the old PPP etc. stuck on. good to hear about the PPP on the Sti. Thanks for the comments on this one Steve, it was my only concern - I'm sure it gets bettter when worked in. A really easy drive. I'm going to buy the sucker today. One question (betraying my ignorance here but never mind) one of the options are front/rear strut braces - do these actually make any real difference?
Old 04 March 2003, 01:01 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Are you track daying the car ? I would suggest driving as standard for a while and see how you go. There are plenty of after market fits that are cheaper and in some cases superior to the OEM parts.

My priority was Exhaust (Standard too quite and restriction on the unecessary centre cat pipe. Now off), then PPP when run in and when my bank balance has recovered !, then a decent set of wheels

Old 04 March 2003, 01:33 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here we go again, not as good as what I am driving blah blah blah. I have driven and owned 2 classics, 1 bug eye and now an Sti8. The Sti8 already feels a much superior car to previous.
It is a much better car or why would IM release it ? The engine won't free up properly til there is about 5K on it in my opinion & my experience having now owned 4 Scoob Turbo's from new
Here we go again, its new I own one so it must be better blah blah blah.

Even driven a factory 280PS classic scoob .
Old 04 March 2003, 06:32 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Londonpaul

Was it just the performance or the handling as well. Your write up doesnt seem to talk about that aspect.

Have to say I drove the new STI and couldnt believe how poor it felt. The car was pretty new as well. The steering lacked feel, even compared to my then Cupra R. I do wonder how well set up some of these cars are after PDI's.

Jonathan
Old 04 March 2003, 07:17 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

handling felt ok - no worse or better than my current car but then again difficult for me to determine with the dealer sitting there cowering in the passenger seat. I'm assuming that its good given the reviews on here. It better be - I just bought the thing 1/2 an hour ago!!

A question I have - what is the difference between the standard gear shift and the quick shifter offered in the options? anyone know?
Old 04 March 2003, 07:24 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

A quick shift just changes the amount of play in the throw of the gearstick ie. shortens the amount you have to move the gearstick to change gear. Had a prodrive one in my 98 UK didnt bother in my 2000 import, gives me chance to breathe between gears .
Old 04 March 2003, 07:27 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

me too on my last one - however the Sti shift already felt pretty damn short
Old 03 April 2003, 12:40 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ummm anyone coming from a 'classic' 276bhp short ratio'd STI(Ra or type R) will IMHO not be exactly 'blown away' by a non-PPP'd MY03.
We own both and the 1,500 mile old '03 was left on the drive over the weekend whilst the wife and I took turns having fun in the typeR. The new car is great, but it doesn't feel like a 'sportscar' compared to the 'classic'. Still PPP on order and miles are clocking up so we'll see what the future holds.
CHuck

[Edited by Old_Fart - 3/4/2003 1:48:32 PM]