advice needed - looking to buy an STi7

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2003, 10:56 PM
flairsey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello one and all,

I need some advice: I'm thinking about purchasing a late MY2000 STi7 (Jap import) but have a few reservations and need some friendly reassuring from people who know...

- Is it possible to get copies of STi Type UK English language manuals/service book?

- Anybody know what the servicing intervals should be?

- Any idea how much typical sercives cost? (the standard stuff like oil/plugs/filters etc.)

- Has anybody purchased a third party warranty for their cars (e.g. Warranty Holdings/MotorEasy). Is it even worth going down this route or are the cars robust enough to handle a bit of 'use'?

- Are there any recommendations for servicing in Essex or within 50-100 mile radius of Essex?

- Any idea what the current CAP 'Grey Book' price is for a late MY2000 STi7 in excellent condition? Is it possible to expand on that by asking what the trade/average condition prices are and how they've been changing over the last 6 to 12 months or so?

- Does anybody else have experience of buying the type of motor I'm after (especially regarding Jap imports) and do they have any advice? The vehicle I'm after is already in the UK and is alleged to have SVA and BIMTA certificate etc.

- Insurance. I've actually had a very reasonable (I think) quote from my current insurer, but can anyone recommend a company that would be sympathetic to an early 30's driver with full no claims, clean licence and a nice garage just waiting to house a rude Scooby?

- I've read a few things about Jap imports not being as powerful as the maker intended due to the naff octane rating of fuels in the UK: is there any truth in the rumour that by resetting the ECU and draining the tank and filling it up with super unleaded or Optimax type fuel, it's possible to get back to somewhere near the designed power output of the engine?

- Is there anything else I've missed???

Any answers that you guys can give would be hugely appreciated! Apologies if I've repeated any questions that have been asked in the price as I haven't had a chance to fully trawl through what appears to be a very popular bulletin board.

Hope to be joining the ranks of appreciative Scooby owners shortly...

cheers and beers,

Flairsey
Old 03 March 2003, 11:14 PM
Edam
Scooby Newbie

Dont. Buy a good car and not a boring tyre screeching poof wagon
Old 04 March 2003, 12:43 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Adam
Could you please more technically define what is a "good car" and what precisely is a "tyre screeeching poof wagon"
Old 04 March 2003, 01:32 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

OK a few sensible answers :

Servicing 10,000miles or 12 months I believe (on UK models and I don't see why Jap would be different).

Servicing near essex - I guess Scoobysport (www.scoobysport.co.uk) will be your best place as you are unlikely get support from teh Subaru UK dealership network as it's an import. No idea what they charge but the Subaru dealers will be £100-£500 mileage dependant.

Manuals - anything is possible. Std UK owners manual you should be able to get from the dealer, but a workshop manual....best get your large cheque book out, they're available from Subaru for hundreds of pounds.....

Fuel - Jap imports are designed for 100RON fuel. You will need to run this car on Optimax or Super Unleaded or get an ECU change.

As for the rest, can't comment as I have a UK car.

Hope this helps
Old 04 March 2003, 02:32 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Second sensible answer
If it is registered at the DVLA, and has a registration number, then it has been SVA'd and so forth and coverted to meet UK test standards, KPH to MPH etc. You will probably been asked for an insurance cover note for the same purpose.

As for the fueling I agree Optimax or Super Unleaded 97 RON. The ECU will detect what fuel you have got in your tank each time you start up, drained or not, so it does not need resetting as such. If you want to have 100 RON, say for track days, you could use the Optimax or SUL and add a good octane booster like Millers, but for normal use the 97 RON is fine.

I would check if it has been undersealed as well. If it has not then get it done for protection perposes, UK weather being what it is.

Check if it has an alarm fitted, will be vital for your good insurance quotes.

I have an MY98 STi4, obviously import, and have had no problems from it being an import. I found the company I used to be very professional and helpfull and we still e:mail weekly to talk cars.
If you have any specific questions I could ask them.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:38 PM
r
Scooby Regular

how com....kriss bennet's post,was posted in 'april' 03 then eh?
Old 03 April 2003, 11:28 AM
KrisBennett
Scooby Newbie

I can't help you with the questions about the Jap STi 7 but I am selling my Mar 02 Sti Type UK (WR Blue, 6000 miles) for around £21,000 if you are interested???

Kris

[Edited by KrisBennett - 3/4/2003 12:39:33 PM]