Sponsored by:

GPS Technology

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2003, 11:09 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm considering buying one of the GPS-based hazard warning systems... but want to avoid the "Betamax" problem (remember Betamax, anyone? Better than VHS, but never made it in the market).

Now, my car has a Tracker (GPS technology) and might also then have a GPS GATSO/Hazard warning system (also GPS technology, but separate). And, in principle, I could also buy a GPS-based Satnav system (a third separate system).

Which is a long-winded build up to the question - does anyone know if any of the suppliers are preparing to integrate the three GPS-based systems into one piece of equipment?? Or indeed, if there is some technological reason why it can't be done? (seems unlikely)!

Phil
Old 28 February 2003, 11:20 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Yes Phil SmartNav have been asking subscribers the question recently. I feel that this will be before the end of the year.
Incidentally SmartNav is the best SATNAV system I've ever had, and funnily one of the cheapest.
Old 28 February 2003, 12:03 PM
chunter
Scooby Newbie

If you buy a "Road Angel" Blackspot/Gatso/SPECS etc not only does it do what it says on the box but it is also a GPS receiver so you can plug it into a laptop and with a bit of software for £50 you can have full screen sat nav with voice directions! Only problem is you have to keep looking at the passengers seat (where the laptop is) to see what is going on/

[Edited by chunter - 2/28/2003 12:04:30 PM]
Old 28 February 2003, 12:09 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You could get a PDA instead of the laptop and mount this on the dash or windscreen, then using the RA and TomTom route planner you have a pretty good setup. Or use TrafCam on a pda with a GPS card which now intergrates with TomTom for route planing and GPS camera info .
Old 28 February 2003, 05:59 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps - 'specially Adair 69

Adair - have you any indication that the integration includes the security function?? Both the other answers address Camera/Nav integration, not all three.

Any move on your warranty claim..... I take it you've been watching the Sti7/PPP Fuel Pump thread and have been reading between the lines!

Phil