Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 months without a Scoob - some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2003, 10:33 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due to various things I got rid of the Scoob last August, replaced it with a Westie and diesel barge.

6 months on day to day I miss the Scoobs amazing grip, cornering and power, especially on damp roads, or when I think I could have overtaken in the Scoob, but won't do in the diesel. 130bhp Front wheel drive diesel still spins the front wheels up with the salty/slippy roads at the moment

What I don't miss is the frequent service intervals and all so frequent trips to the petrol station ;^) The diesel does around 600 miles to a tankful, and it's looking like the 1st service will be at 21k miles

6 months on looking at track days, the Westie is so much more involving to drive on track than the Scoob.

The insurance for both cars is cheaper than the Scoob

But I reckon if you want one car to track and drive day to day, the Scoob is hard to beat.

Really like the look of the new model, maybe I'll be back

Regards,

Greg
Old 28 February 2003, 10:40 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Go on, you know you want to greg
Old 28 February 2003, 10:52 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Disliking most things French, apart from the food, the wine and the ski-ing etc etc, I will nick one our their phrases:-

There is that certain 'Je ne sais quoi' about Subarus. And having owned more expensive Audis (modern quattros), it has to be character, as technically / on paper, they should be more enjoyable.

Got back in a classic turbo the other day (after a break) and it felt so tight - steering, brakes, gears, handling, engine - all 'right' and working together. Noisy as well but so what.
Old 28 February 2003, 10:57 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

yeh I know I want to but running costs, insurance costs and residuals are putting me off.

Will see how the land lies in a few years I think, maybe get a 2yr old new model wagon or something.

Your right about the 'certain something', hard to put your finger on it.

Greg
Old 28 February 2003, 11:03 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Gregh

To be honest, the 'best all-round car' I've had was a V6 quattro Tdi A4 (with one or two helpful mods) which I couldn't fault on
anything it did, and even track-day'd it, but got bored.

The Impreza (or Legacy if I.M. DO bring some official quick ones in for the new shape) is expensive to run and has its faults against a whole host of competitors who have a lot to offer.
But, with normal UK roads and weather, they'e FUN.
Old 28 February 2003, 11:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There is something. I think it's a combination of the feedback (which ain't like a westies, for sure), handling (which isn't perfect by any means), practicality (first 4 door car I've owned), power, grip, safety and noise that do it for me.

Keep thinking about being sensible and coming up with a list of alternative cars, but nothing hits the mark in the same way... Bit of a sod really, as something more economical appeals greatly

Come back to the Dark Side

Who knows, in 2 years there may be a diesel scoob?????