Sponsored by:

auto or manual?????

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 10:14 PM
5cby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wots every1's view and which is better

i already drive a auto (german make wont say which 1)which i like due to its relaxed style of driving. im a lazy sod really

would a auto scooby be as fast yes i know there slower generally
autos that is
Old 25 February 2003, 12:34 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

driving a scoob is not what i would call relaxing. i would say got to be manual m8 drive one you will see what i mean, it will make you want to drive fast and furious not relaxed!!!!
Old 25 February 2003, 10:10 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

The scooby auto can handle big power (10 second 1/4 mile) whereas the manual tends to break.
Old 25 February 2003, 11:43 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Auto everytime, it's never off boost on a blast, you can launch around bends with both hands on the wheel with your foot firmly planted and you can even crawl in traffic in comfort.

Manual anything now is so last year.
Old 25 February 2003, 11:56 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Got to be auto, I was not convinced till I drove one, and now I own one, I am only 23, but not worried about the grandad car comments.

Just press the power button and nail the accelerator to the floor, you get all the revs out of the engine, and no need to worry about having to change gear.
Old 25 February 2003, 12:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

But surely u cant change yer driving style, or dos the auto have sum clever gizmo that allows u 2 alter wot revs it changes at?
My point is in addition 2 the ability 2 thrash engine at correct time (ie warmed up & down etc) the manual gives the driver total control over when to change & in my current predicament of knackered clutch then i'd b up **** ccreek if it kept going over 2500RPM b4 changing
So aplogies if i no nothing of specifics with how the auto box works on a scoob but 4 me it's manual all the way.
Si (only ever driven an auto when sum women couldn't reverse out of her car parking space )
Old 25 February 2003, 12:25 PM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

My auto WRX wagon is the best of both worlds - relaxing in traffic, yet extremely capable when you want the power.

I'm sure the purists will say that for the real Scoob experience you must have a manual car and certainly the more exotic variations can only be had with manual boxes, but don't discount the auto.

Now where's my flat cap and pipe gone

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2003, 12:39 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

I tend to find while driving autos and approaching roundabouts, when you ease off the accelerator, the auto tends to gear up rather than down which is frustrating.
I feel much more involved and have more fun with manuals.
Old 25 February 2003, 12:44 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Granted, I haven't ever driven a true auto, and I didn't know there was such a thing as an auto impreza, but I'd be incredibly surprised if I were to try it and prefer it to a manual.

Changing gear is half the fun of driving for me - I drove an Alfa 147 sillyspeed once, and it left me absolutely cold. Not a true auto, but if you don't change gear, it does it for you anyway.

I even found the cruise control, but I couldn't seem to find the button that did the steering and braking for you. Almost no driver involvement at all...

I may well be missing out on something, but I was genuinely surprised to see so many people preferred auto's!
Old 25 February 2003, 12:49 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

auto's (no matter what make) are mile sbetter for dealing with the boy racers from the lights

also if you take the time to get used to it, then left foot braking is possible which certainly speeds up your reactions when you want to brake
Old 25 February 2003, 01:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

& can an auto really take more power as i no when i considered supra that manuals were rarer but can handle more power but lets face it the supra can get to the point where the gear box may go pop u'd have 2 of seriously modded yer engine b4 u can get trully gear crunching power, or am i missin sumin again
Si
Old 25 February 2003, 01:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

& if u cant rev bollox outa engine, side step clutch & generally accelerates slower then how is it better 2 deal with boy racers & lights?
Si (gettin more & more anti auto lol)
Old 25 February 2003, 01:52 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Wink

auto gets my vote...
Less strain on the engine, quicker overtaking, it virtually never needs servicing, great aroung town, great on the motorway, 90% of the automatic versions(regarding all brands and all models) have more powerful and responsive brake systems.

PS. If the manual is better, then why do they charge you for the auto?

[Edited by XT - 2/25/2003 1:54:45 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 02:11 PM
DIKPD
Scooby Regular

Is the auto worse for mpg?
The auto is more expensive to buy cos it's more expensive to make and put in i was told!
Old 25 February 2003, 02:17 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

& if u wana get into economies of scale i wood also guess the auto is less popular & thus more expensive
Si (& his economics degree lol)
Old 25 February 2003, 02:19 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Seriously thou im still intreged about these performance questions & quotes like "quicker overtaking" how is it when in manual u can drop into wotever gear is best 2 overtake (ie high revs ) & boot it past. Admitedly it needs user input 2 select correct gear 4 such a feet but that where the fun of driver input & choice is IMO
I am intreged about how these autos perform better alegedly thou?
Si (please no sarky F1 cars r faster & i guess autos if u wana b pedantic lol)
Old 25 February 2003, 02:23 PM
DIKPD
Scooby Regular

i agree with that, not sure how it would be quicker to overtake at all in an auto!
0-60 is slower and like you said about dropping down a gear or 2 thats where the fun comes in a driver involvement.

anyone know the actuall performance differences?
Old 25 February 2003, 02:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i now drive an auto and got to say i would hate going back to a manual.....the idea that you manualy change the gearing on the car is odd really.....all these gizzmos and you still have a big stick in the floor!

T

ps- i have tiptronic so if i need engine breaking then i can switch to tip and drop a gear very easily...otherwise engine breaking would be a flaw.
Old 25 February 2003, 05:36 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

If you really want to go, the auto box will change down 2 gears and put the rev counter mid way into the red 6500/7000rpm?

The only time the auto annoys me is if I want to get onto a roundabout quick, but not to go round it fast (If that makes any sense) As you get stuck between two gears and it takes a second to sort things out, so is a bit jerky.

Yes you have to brake more as the engine will not slow you down. But in traffic it is great.

Auto all the way.