Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal implications on bonnet mounted reg plate

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 06:50 PM
oz555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondered whether it would be legal to put an adhesive number plate on the bonnet of my wrx to improve the cooling and appearance. Any ideas?
Old 23 February 2003, 07:46 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

ive seen quite a few cars with this. Dont think they had any problems as it was as along as the number plate can be seen
Old 23 February 2003, 08:17 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Adhesive plates are illegal, death by stoning is the punishment.
Old 24 February 2003, 10:09 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Red face

that happened to a mate of mine, can you belive it. adhesive number plates - it's the highest form of crime in the uk. he was stoned to death...in some parts of the uk they sometimes just cut important parts of your body off in full view of everybody outside the town hall on a sunday around 12.00 noon.

you have been warned
Old 24 February 2003, 11:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The law used to state that the reg plate must be mounted to the true vertical. Thats what they used to get us for in the old days!

Les
Old 24 February 2003, 01:10 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Theyre only legal if you have just stolen the car and/or burgled a house for the keys and are driving without insurance. Unfortunately if you are fully up to date with all your legal requirements then as previously stated you will be stoned to death or similair (A bloke in Guildford was tried and hung only last week for this offence)
Old 24 February 2003, 01:13 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember that they are only legal if fitted to a Jaguar E-type!!
Old 24 February 2003, 01:22 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

My related thread in Non Related
Old 24 February 2003, 04:13 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

I saw one on an MGB the other day.

I've got one on my Scoob too.

Cheers

Rich
Old 24 February 2003, 05:38 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Strictly speaking they are illegal on modern cars, so plod could do you if so minded. If font and spacing correct, ie not too noticeably gimmicky, just hope Mr Plod doesn't have time/inclination to do you.
Thats what I hope anyway !
Stan
Old 24 February 2003, 06:54 PM
oz555
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replies guys.
Old 24 February 2003, 09:59 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Angry

The ******* have got nothing else better to do [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The wrong style number plate gets you hung drawn and quarted but Buglary, theft twocking is a let off free card [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The only reason they are so hot on this is because of this

Huxley[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 February 2003, 07:35 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Flat Vertical Number plates are aparently prefered by plod, gives them a nice flat surface to aim their radar guns at so I guess they will activly discourage stickies. So question, can you have a conventional plate but angle it a bit so the radar dosent give a good reflection or do the regs include that the plate has to be vertical, probably yes, anyone know
Old 25 February 2003, 09:40 PM
wible
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I used to have a bonnet mounted sticky plate on my Astra,but according to a traffic cop i know,the law states,they must be mounted on a flat surface,and must face directly to the front! Although thats the law,i had mine on for 3 years and i never got stopped/questioned or had any problems with the MOT,and an Astra bonnet is far from being flat,and it was facing slightly upward! Hope that helps
Old 25 February 2003, 10:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I had been driving around for a fortnight without a front plate, it took me 3 days until I realised it was missing, I then ordered one which took another 7 days to arrive, then it was fitted as soon as I got time.

I was seen by numerous police cars plus foot officers and not once did they notice it was missing.

2 days after fitting the new plate I was approached by plod on foot and told is was spaced incorrectly, I replied " I only fitted it not made it". He never smiled and told me to change it. I said yes, he walked off.

Am i going to change it?

Am i bollócks.
Old 28 February 2003, 04:37 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

ive got a sticky front plate on the front lip, standard size standard spacing. as i was driving to an appointment at a school on wednesday, a copper going the other way clocked me and spun around and tried to get up behind me for 12 F*&king MILES (i wasnt speeding, he just had lots of cars behind me to get by first before he could turn on the sirens etc). i knew he was coming, and took great pride in watching him trying to overtake people like some boy-racer in a nova, but eventually thought it might be best just to pull in and let him find whatever he was digging for (contraband, stowaways, brownie points, revenue etc). so, out jumps Hitler Jnr. marches straight to the front of the car and says "Your front numberplate... is not illegal". "I know that" i said. "Yes, but i thought it was too small" says plod, "But it isnt?" i say, "No" says plod crestfallen. 20 Bl**dy minutes later after he has gone over the entire car with a fine tooth comb and finding NOTHING wrong whatsoever, he decides to let me go "with a warning this time". The best he could do was to suggest that my front plate needed a BSAU code, but this in itself was not illegal. I was late for my appointment and got a written warning on my permanent record. If its possible to hate these jumped up little tax men more, i dont know how.

In the meantime, that same afternoon, the 70 year old lady who lives on my street was burgled and she was told that no-one was free to come and see her, and a crime number was all she can expect. warms the heart doesnt it?

Moral of the story: give them an inch, and theyll take a mile. And your job if they can. Thats it, rant over. sorry about that.

B.
Old 28 February 2003, 07:22 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Question

Bumpkin -
So if you had had a legal number plate, the policeman who was dealing with you could have been available to help your 70yr old neighbour ???????
Or did I miss something ?

Stan
Old 28 February 2003, 08:11 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

no, you missed nothing. i think its almost a dictionary definition of irony. Still, the important thing is that the copper can rest assured that my number plate is the right size; im sure it causes him no bother whatsoever that the nice old lady who has lived in her house for all her life now feels she has to move cos she doesnt feel safe and got no support from the authorities.

After all, you have to have priorities, and number plate irregularities are clearly much higher than people feeling safe in their homes. Youll forgive me, but theyre all b*stards of the first order. F8ck 'em all.

B.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:16 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

Wink

aah sorry, just got the implication of your post. the point is my plate is NOT illegal. Thats NOT, as in LEGAL. and had the copper said "oops sorry, made a mistake mate, on your way, safe journey" he might have been available to deal with some real crime.

the real irony of course is, i had just burgled her house and all her gear was in the boot of my car the whole time.

B.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:21 PM
JapSport
Scooby Regular

lol@bumpkin.. seriously though, although the legal technicalities on having stick on number plates is a bit foggy, it's actually illegal to produce them for any car other than those on a very short list.. believe me, I know a guy who works for Serck Intertruck, one of the biggest number plate suppliers in the UK and he wouldn't even make me one for my MR2 in case someone found out where it came from.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:47 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

When I looked into it the law is absolutely clear (unless the vehicle is older than a certain year - 1960 something IIRC - E-types/MGB's etc era) that stick on number plates ARE illegal.
I still decided to risk it to allow more air to i/c and rad .
Stan
Old 28 February 2003, 09:39 PM
JapSport
Scooby Regular

What makes it foggy is that until very recently it was perfectly legal to mount a sticky type number plate on a piece of sheet steel or plastic - hence creating your own number plate.. if the sticky section was to be mounted vertically it was arguable whther the plate itself was required.. you're right about the E-Types, not sure about MGB's although TR6's are on the list IIRC.. But it's not the age specifically but whether the car was produced before the law came in.. ie. you can't retro fit stickies to the top of a Model T bonnet just because it predates the law because they weren't OE but you can replace existing stickies ad infinitum if the car was originally fitted with them.. phew..
Old 28 February 2003, 10:07 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Somebody may have already said this but according to the DVLA stickon number plates are illegal but they know of know company which produces number plates to the requirements.

Anybody else see the flaw in this?