Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi7 + PPP Completely transforms the car, for the better.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 05:49 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I own an STi7, and was concerned about the benefits of spending another £2K on an already expensive, and already fast car.

Having now spent my money having the PPP kit fitted, in my opinion, having owned a MY98,MY99,MY00 and now the STi7, would say the transformation in nothing short of incredable.

The original useable power band was from about 3750 rpm to 6000rpm (max power), and below the lower figure, power and performance was abysmal.

If you didn't rev the car it simply wouldn't go.
Get caught in the wrong gear overtaking and you would be in trouble.

It was without doubt the most unenjoyable Impreza Turbo I had owned for normal/brisk driving.
It was ALL or NOTHING in the way performance was delivered.
Flat out with 6000rpm changes its fine, but that is tiresome, and a somewhat frenetic way to make progress.

Now after PPP kit, the useable power band goes from 2000rpm to 6000rpm (max power), with the car pulling strongly from 2500rpm.

On the road the car is so tractable it doesn't feel like the same car. It is that much better.

Its possible to short shift at 3500rpm and be moving very briskly.
Not reving your engine to an early grave, and incredibly relaxing swift progress are both possible.

In all out performance figures the two cars may not be miles apart, but in the real world driving situation, then they are poles apart.

Std it would struggle pulling 2000rpm in any gear, ie 40mph in 5th (the same gearing and revs/mph as 4th gear in the classic shape, which they easily pull).
After PPP it will accelerate from that figure smoothly and with a very small increase in rpm begins to accelerate strongly.

These are only my opinions on the mod, I don't work for Subaru, or Prodrive, I work for BAE Sytems, but they may help someone, who like myself was very uncertain about commiting to even more expense.

I had reached the point were the enjoyment I was getting from driving the car was reducing. It was becoming a *** to drive, and I couldn't afford to sell it with the drop in used values meaning I would take a very large hit.

I can honestly say that as for long as I can afford it, there isn't another car I would want to own in preference to the STi7+PPP.

The extra £2000 you spend may stop you selling the car and losing an awful lot more money.

That sounds like my wifes logic, spend money to save money.
But in this case it nmay be true, in a perverse way.

Cheer MTR

Old 21 February 2003, 06:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear that you rate the PPP.

I have a MY00, and had that car's PPP fitted after about a year's ownership. It certainly helped, although there wasn't too much wrong with the car's power delivery anyway.

I tried a new STI last year and felt exactly the same as you about its narrow power band and lack of flexiblity. Getting back into my own car at the end of the test drive felt like a major upgrade. Needless to say, I didn't buy the STI - I kept my Scooby and spent the money on a Westfield instead

I've still not found a car to really tempt me out of my Scooby, although it sounds as though a PPP-equipped STI might just manage it in another year or so. At least this time I'll know not to buy new from a UK dealer

A.
Old 21 February 2003, 08:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Welcome to the club. Good, innit
Old 21 February 2003, 10:33 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

MTR,felt exactly the same about my JDM STi7.The most unusable Scoob I had owned.Then I got Ecuteked.....
Old 22 February 2003, 10:06 AM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wait till it goes bang!!!
Old 22 February 2003, 11:02 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Fizz,

If it does go bang then he's got his warranty to sort it out. Give the bloke some support, mate. If you had just had your car upgraded I doubt you would be happy if someone said "wait till it goes bang" or "wait till some low life gets to it".
Old 22 February 2003, 01:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Think Fizz may be referring to a UK car that had been Ecutecked. Warranty would by void with it fitted ,unlike a car with PPP.

Chip.
Old 22 February 2003, 11:46 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Fizz,
Thanks for the warning, I shal be mindfull of how I drive it.
Have you had problems with your STi7?

I have an uprated fuel pump as std on my PPP kit so lets hope all is well.

see here
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=180516
I have posted this on its own, as it will probably get lost within the many responses on the initial Fuel pump thread and be overlooked.

I posted this on here
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=180031
and here
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...170888&Page=11

Without wanting to put the cat among the pigeons, as they say, I have just had the PPP kit fitted to my STi7, last week, and it had a 'performance fuel pump' fitted as part of the kit.
Part Number 44S/T5/001 in 'performance by Prodrive' box.

I know exactly what is fitted to my car, no guesswork, no opinion, just FACT.

I have got my old pump in the new Prodrive box.

The high performance pump is encased in a black foam rubber sound insulating material. The std pump does not have the foam covering, so its easy to tell them apart.

Could this be the 'fix' people are suggesting needs to take place,
taking place?

Edited after reading Dave T-S's comments on here
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=170888&Page=7, regrading ECUtek flash remaps and uprated pumps on later STi7 PPP kits, in lieu of piggyback boards on the ECU and std fuel pump.
Perhaps thats what's fitted on mine?

Cheers MTR

[Edited by MTR - 2/22/2003 11:47:41 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 07:28 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

MTR

Aaaah, so the new pump with the STi MY02 PPP kit cat is out of the bag at last, is it

Enjoy it running safely, ignoring Fizz's comments

[Edited by Dave T-S - 2/23/2003 7:29:18 AM]
Old 23 February 2003, 08:40 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave,
I should have mentioned also, that the ECU has a warning label on it stating 'THIS ECU MUST ONLY BE USED WITH A HIGH PERFORMANCE FUEL PUMP'.
So whoever manufactures/reprogrammed my ECU is quite clear about what is needed for safe running.

Cheers MTR
Old 23 February 2003, 01:45 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Glad you're enjoying the car now matey
Old 23 February 2003, 02:56 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Very very pleased with mine.

I'm keeping out of the fuel pump/piggyback ecu/ reprogrammed ecu hysteria, leave it to the experts, thats what warranties are all about IMHO....

Goes much better with the PPP,the STI7 really needs it (I would expect the same with the STI8),it transforms the car.

Trouble is you get used to it and want more....how about a PPP phase 2 with 340 bhp/torque now that would be on my shopping list!

Well done Prodrive, keep up the good work!