Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbo legacy and optimax

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 02:06 PM
GTB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just seen all these posts about Optimax saying that you should never run the Scoob on anything else (and booster is also recommended). Is this also true for my imported MY94 2 litre Legacy engine as well - cos I've been running it for 18 months on ordinary unleaded (and performance seems v acceptable.) Are the engines basically the same in this respect?

What would happen if I went onto Optimax (& booster) from here on? More harm than good?

Old 20 February 2003, 02:42 PM
JJamess
Scooby Regular

I always ran my Legacy B4 RSK on super unleaded or Optimax, if i wanted more power i would throw in a octaine booster, i used Pro-boost. It helped for sure. I was told the japen spec cars which mine was were set for 100 octaine petrol and there is a crystel microphone on the engine which lisens for engine pinging caused by poor fuel, when it detected pinging the ecu limited the engine power to protect itself.I don't know if this is true could be an old wifes tale i'm no expert.
Old 20 February 2003, 08:02 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run mine on 97 or optimax.

Covered 75k, all UK, and still in one piece.
the ECU is self monitoring on TT's, so if it does det, it'll retard the ignition.

If you want all the avaliable power, run octane booster as well.

Hope this helps

Mark

Old 20 February 2003, 09:20 PM
The Scorpion
Scooby Newbie

Wink

JJamess,hi from nz i've got a 1999 RSK B4 Legacy . what year is yours?,not that it matters much,which year all very nice

[Edited by The Scorpion - 2/20/2003 9:22:02 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 09:10 AM
GTB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys.....
Old 21 February 2003, 09:45 AM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

Funny, the chap I bought mine off ran it on nothing but Optimax, which I duly continued. I then added a Bottle of Millers per tankful, over the next 2 tankfuls. I felt the difference immediately - smoother, quicker and a little quieter. To make sure it wasn't a placebo effect, I ran the next few tanks on just OPtimax - even the G/F noticed the difference:"It feels rougher!".

The car is designed to run on 100RON and adding Octane Booster makes such a difference to an import that you simply have to do it and you will feel the difference almost immediately!
Old 21 February 2003, 03:20 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Defo feed it the best fuel you can (not just in RON terms, but in caloric energy terms too. I am told that Total/Fina/Elf do the best in Europe, but it's a bit tough to talk authoritatively from this far away).

If you are doing any hard driving, a squirt of booster should help too. Heck we use it here for track days, too (not so much for the power pep, but slightly better knock control).

And watch your oil - these cars hate dirty/poor grade stuff. You may find you want to change it far more often than the indicated intervals.

HTH