Sponsored by:

Scoobynet's sale section

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 01:51 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Now I know people don't like getting ripped off, but FFS what is it with the for sale section here....

You can't advertise anything (and I mean anything) without people knocking the price, blah blah....

Sometimes you'd think that items were being sold from Calcutta !!

I can only raise my concern on how this for sale section knocks down car prices - especially Scooby's....

Comments welcomed.

Gastro
Old 20 February 2003, 01:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You're probably right! If we feel someone's price is wrong then we should email them off line and advise why we believe this to be so and they can make their own choice whether to follow the advice without potential purchasers reading all about it.
Old 20 February 2003, 02:07 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

i agree but as this is a non commercial sale section, bargaining is just part and parcel.

i have tried selling items and had muppets offering half the price which i reply with SOLD. nearest offer is ok but u do get ppl offering silly prices.

this is a circular effect, hence asking prices are now much higher in anticipation of haggling.
Old 20 February 2003, 02:09 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

IME the prices asked for Scoobs on here are much less than in Autotrader. Of course, you don't know how much they actually sell for, so it's not obvious if the price is depressed in SN 'For Sale' section or cars are just priced realistically.
Old 20 February 2003, 02:10 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

The for sale mods do an amazing job of looking out for traders, pirate goods, scams and 'what a ripoff' style posts. Like every scoobynet mod they can't do this 24X7 and so rely on the vigilience of the users and of the people putting stuff up for sale

Shaun has posted a sticky thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=174215 which outlines what is acceptable and what is not.

People are encouraged to use the RTM fuction if they spot a for sale thread that goes against the policies that Shaun outlined above.

As Simon stated the other day, the for sale section is going to be revamped which will make the whole thing a lot easier for everyone.

Old 20 February 2003, 02:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the price should be discussed offline for cars. That way you should stop any of the @srehole comments.

I don't think it's doing any of us any favours IMHO.

Stefan

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2003, 02:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Annoys me too, which is why you will often find posts disappearing without trace...

From my POV I will delete/edit any post that disses or questions another persons valuation of a product. I will also delete/edit any post from the vendor that looks like they're calling into question the sanity/integrity/birthright of the dissing poster - so it's an even thing

I will delete stupid threads (not muppetise) and inappropriate ones.

I do not like...

Cross-posts to selling stuff on eBay - sell it on SN or sell it there.

References to stuff on eBay - like its not even vaguely related to the person posting

Selling on behalf of friends, Aunts, rabbits and relations - SN member facility ONLY & if they want to use it, then become a member & put something back into the community.

Commercial advertising - obvious

Traders - obvious

People using multiple identities to sell/bid up goods

etc etc

Anyone can do an RTM on something they don't like and I will try and deal with it ASAP - if appropriate and not already dealt with by the other mods.

So with YOUR help, we can get FS back into a happy & constructive place

Old 20 February 2003, 02:50 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Just remembered, I'm supposed to phone you Puff.

The trouble with people dissing the prices is differentiating between someone who just wants to point out it's too expensive, and someone who is genuinely interested and wants to put in a lower offer as a starter for 10.
Old 20 February 2003, 02:53 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Carl

In the above case I would do all the bartering via email. After all if you are trying to knock something down in price you don't want everyone else seeing how low it's got in case they outbid you..
Old 20 February 2003, 03:02 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

I couldn't agree more.

I'd noticed that it was getting bad, but I didn't realise how bad until I put a couple of items last week.

You get a host of morons posting replies that are unhelpful, misleading or just bloody rude. It's not just what these people say, it's the way they say it. If you think potential buyers might misinterpret an item, I can see no reason why one can't clarify things. However, most of the time it's 'I can't believe anyone wants this cr*p', 'I bought a new one for less than that' or 'you can get it 10p cheap on.......'

What the hell is the point of posting anything, when these people are around?

On a positive note, I sold one item to a delightful couple in Scotland, who were easy to deal with, and even took the trouble to email me today to tell me the item had arrived, and how happy they were.

Josh
Old 20 February 2003, 03:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Carl

Indeed you are!!

All posts and threads within the "FOR SALE" forum must only contain information pertaining to the advertising of goods, or the request for information about such goods. Replies to adverts complaining / questioning the price or quality of the goods are harmful and often misleading and are therefore not allowed. For this reason, "buyer beware" is also an important consideration.
Covers it

Old 20 February 2003, 03:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Roger the cat post edited
Old 20 February 2003, 03:43 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Can I suggest that the right to reply to a post in the for sale section is removed, so you don't get a list of disparaging comments. Any communication would therefore be forced to be via e-mail with the seller directly and hence private.

The seller should be able to edit their advert after posting, to change price maybe or correct their description, but no replies from other users permitted.

Dunno how difficult this would be mods, but it does seem the most practical way to avoid the barbed comments being left now.
Old 20 February 2003, 03:48 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

But the problem of loads of threads & the need to BTT 'em is still a bigger bugger trying 2 sell stuff i find & [de ja vous mode on] can it not at least be split into car sales & parts in different locations. Also other shyte section might help lol
Surely server problems or wot have u having been sorted make this easier? (said the PC ignorant numpty) Or is this almost a conflict with the nice new shop? (paranoi mode on)
Si
Old 20 February 2003, 03:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

note 2 self read whole thread b4 replying since it is already being "revamped"
Si
Old 20 February 2003, 03:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Hence why I will edit/delete/lock rubbish
Old 20 February 2003, 04:21 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Puff - has my old name (Scooby Snacks) been deleted because I had one of my threads edited by you?
Old 20 February 2003, 04:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

LOL

Don't think so!!! Never heard of that happening!

Nice idea though

What's the error or any message?
Old 20 February 2003, 04:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Two things that really hack me off in 'for sale'

People that try to sell something that you clearly need pictures of ... alloys, intercooler (to assess fin condition), etc but make no attempt to post pictures. If you're advertising something that people will want to see before they buy then for crying out loud take decent pictures. This is basic marketing!!!

Also, people that don't post ball park prices really hack me off. I hate emailing someone in the dark when I don't have a clue if we are even on the same wavelength!!

rant over
Old 20 February 2003, 05:03 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Old 20 February 2003, 05:19 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Saxo boy how u like my thread sounds ideal on the pix & pounds description Nice wheels mister me luv u long time Oh did i do an unnecesary plug lol
Si
Old 20 February 2003, 05:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I must admit that post is perfect, got all the pictures you need and all the info you need The only thing is that I personally don't like the style of your alloys, hence why I've shown no interest. Good luck with the sale
Old 20 February 2003, 05:34 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Moderators can we block saxo boy for having no taste lol
Just messing.
Tara m8y
Si
Old 20 February 2003, 05:51 PM
Luke
BANNED

Saxo

You have made a very good point.

Some of the adverts are stupid " WRX for sale"

AND THATS IT !! no details no pics ..no brain!!
People need to learn that Pics are needed and so is info.

I contacted someone about the price they are asking for an item. I have a vast knowledge of prices Buying/selling of this "Thing" he was selling... he wasnt that happy about been advised that he was £80.00 over the top on a sub £300.00 item.......... Its still for sale and will be for ages.

There is a bit of humour knocking around thats fine and a good "TTT" for the post .But as for some of the Bun fights...... Should be controlled.
Old 20 February 2003, 11:28 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

People need to research more before flying in as well. My car is in there now for an average price as quoted on the Autotrader website, yet someone had a go at me (I think, the Grammar wasn't great )

In fact, my car comes near the top when you search in the price bracket (price low > high) on AT

I have researched the costs and pricing carefully, and it is right.

[Edited by Dream Weaver - 2/20/2003 11:44:32 PM]
Old 20 February 2003, 11:54 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I think it's also a good idea that people are made/advised to put the price on whatever they're selling rather than "Offers" and the like.Putting things like "Offers" in my opinion,is testing the water to see if the seller can get more than what they mentally think they can get!! After all,if you're sellin something then you must have a rough idea in your head of what you want to get for it!!!!
I've sold a few things through the For Sale forum on here,mainly because I always state the price (And make it a 'realistic' price) and try to wherever possible,have a pic of what I'm selling!

Cheers

Nick

Edited to say that whatever I've sold has been sold on the day that I put it up for sale!! (So my advertising campaign must work lol)

[Edited by NickAdams - 2/21/2003 12:34:49 AM]
Old 21 February 2003, 12:03 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I must admit i pass over things that just say "offers" and dont give any figure whatsoever. It can be embarrasing for both seller and yourself if you offer something which is ill-informed.

I'm sure i am not alone in this thinking.

Andy
Old 21 February 2003, 09:20 AM
Luke
BANNED

tt
Old 21 February 2003, 06:47 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

I agree totally, for a site full of scooby lovers all the stupid comments have done is sucessfully lower the price of thier pride and joy when they come to sell it.