ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Track Day Insurance - 3rd Party Liability

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 09:37 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Colin,

as discussed before, the cover offered for track day is for accidental damage to your own car only. If anyone crashes into you, then you can't claim off their insurance, as there is no concept of "at fault" on a race track.

Also not covered is mechanical damage, ie if you put the car into 2nd gear at 120mph and the engine and gearbox blow up, then you'll have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Regarding 3rd party liability - anyone taking part will have signed a disclaimer saying something along the lines of "I understand Motorsport is dangerous...", and there will also be warning signs etc on entry to the track. No-one will be permitted to spectate from anywhere around the track that is remotely dangerous, so the chances of hitting spectators is almost impossible, unless you come into the pits at full speed!

If your car hits another, then that person can't make a claim off of your insurance, but I'm sure that they will make you feel morally obliged to pay up!

Taking your car onto the track isn't 100% risk free, but it is a much safer place to explore the handling and performance of your car than on the open road.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to be very alert of everything that's going on a round you. This includes faster cars approaching you from behind (don't wait until they are right up behind you going 30mph faster before you start to look for a place to let them past), and the behavious of the cars in front. If you see a car which looks unsettled around the corners, then give it plenty of space.

If there is a convoy of cars building up around the track, all going at similar speeds so that no-one is passing each other, then simply let them pass, slow down for half a lap, and then you'll have lots of track space all to yourself.

Having said all this, it's not all doom and gloom - just look at the glowing reports on track events posted. Everyone has a great time, and providing you are sensible, you can have a huge amount of fun in as safe an environment as you can get
Old 03 March 2000, 12:53 PM
Colin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As far as I can see from my track day policy, it only covers accidental damage to my car (Egger Lawson Competition Car Insurance). Is it the case that there is no 3rd party liability cover? Supposing I plough into someone elses car or worse still plough into spectators and there's a personal injury claim? Is this covered by the organisers or what? And what if someone ploughs into my car through reckless driving - can I make them pay?

Comments?