Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cars and Warranty and how it should be done

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 02:40 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a Renault Espace for the missus through Trade Sales at Slough. Had a bit of a question about warranties as it appeared to run out sooner than I thought as we only bought it yesterday. Phoned Trade Sales and they said to contact Renault UK for a definitive answer as to when the warranty started and ends. So [phoned Renault customer service and quoted chassis number. Is that an Import sir? came the reply. Oh know I thought here we go!!! Yes, I say, No problem they say!!!! Warranty started when the French supplying dealer PDI'd it (04/09/2002, bummer lost 4 months warranty), but get this, Renault supply the first year's warranty and the Renault UK dealers supply the second year. So my warranty runs out 04/09/2004.

Not bad for an import, and I don't have to go back to the French dealer for warrany work. Servicing, no problem sir, we are more than happy to work on it. IM are you listening?
Old 06 February 2003, 03:02 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

In IM's defence, the dealer is part of Renault UK, part of Renault. Indirectly they have profited from the sale of a car in France as the whole group has profited.

This is not so in the case of IM. As an independent importer they do not profit in any way from you buying a car from Subaru France, and in order to encourage you to use them, they make it a little more difficult to get warranty work.

Mitsubishi, for example, are also happy to do the same, as the UK arm, the Colt car coy, AFAIK is part of the worldwide Mitsubishi group.

All in my opinion of course
Old 06 February 2003, 03:25 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

To add my 2 peneth...

You may have 2 years warranty with Renault UK (or just 4 months under) - but have you experienced their concept of 'after sales service' yet?

I have, and can whole heartily NOT recommend Renault UK. IMHO of course.

Alex
Old 06 February 2003, 03:35 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Shame it wasn't registered after January. The pan-EU warranty would be longer...

I have only good things to say about renault UK, given that they replaced a cat on my three year old car that was well out of warranty!
Old 06 February 2003, 04:37 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Well, customer services were very friendly and helpful, obviously I haven't had to make a warranty claim yet, so will have to see how it goes. I just ordered an Owner's manual from the local dealer with no problem and it only costs £3.75. I know what you are saying about IM not profiting from the purchase of a euro import, but attitude goes a long way to promote future business. If IM would also work on Jap imports rather than turn their noses up wouldn't we all feel better about them, but then thats another can of worms, and we've been there many times b4 (and don't really want to go there again).