Sponsored by:

STi7 v's STi 8..............

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 06:17 PM
Greg Marston
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

So guy's having driven both of these beast's, can I honestly say the STi8 is better than the 7..........well it looks better!!

I also think the 8 drives better too having driven an example of the ppp'd version today......what do you think???

I have ordered the 8 today and am interested in yout thought's...
Old 04 February 2003, 06:22 PM
robport
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Greg

As i was with you today and have also bought exactly the same car and also drove the same cars I can confer you thoughts you are correct you freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 February 2003, 06:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Differences are minimal from my limited experience. Gearbox is a tangiable thing that I'd say is definitely an improvement, and steering wheel.

The PPP for the 8 is IMHO much better than the old style PPP, but that's more to the technology used for PPP than the car itself - I'd be interested to see what a 7 with new PPP is like...
Old 04 February 2003, 06:41 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've driven three different 7s (1 new, 1 run in & 1 PPP'd) but only for very limited distances, and I have to concede that in many ways it was a better car than my P1. The 8, however, feels to me like a completely different beast again.

Not only do I find the new car's appearance more palatable, but the build quality seems very good (by jap standards), the ride is more subtle, the levels of grip have increased, and it handles beautifully. In fact I've almost forgotten what understeer is!

I do miss the rawness of my '98 and P1, but in the week or so that I've had my 8, I've been mightily impressed. I can't wait to get the PPP on.

Josh
Old 04 February 2003, 07:07 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i hate to disagree, but gents you've been fooled by the hype, there are NO mechanical differences between the European 7 and 8, other than slightly harder / stiffer front suspension bushes on the new car. New headlights, the steering wheel, and blue carpets are the only differnces. If we had some of the Japan / US kit (twin scroll turbo, equal length header, and the ECD) then you might have had a case. I love my 7, but have to admit i would love the smaller steering wheel off the 8
Old 04 February 2003, 07:19 PM
Tboner
Scooby Regular

Sorry Griff , you are well off the mark !!
Just stiffer bushe's ? different arem , different geometry, Diff engne mapping 2 x lsd ,Q rack, and a lot more , driven both the STI7 is not as good as the 8 i am afraid , infact there is a lot of difference
Old 05 February 2003, 01:12 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Greg,
Even if not many difference's I bet your can't wait till it comes doesn't matter what we say "A key in the hand is worth....." Good luck and enjoy order PPP today makes a good car a great one

Griff,
I though there were more sigificant differences between STi8JDM and SIi8EU

Tony

PS no REAR WASH WIPE were is all the rain??? UK
Old 02 April 2003, 08:00 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Tboner,
Not sure your right about a Quicker rack but is different and the Sti7 has 2 Suretrac LSD's.
The Sti8Uk looks good and drives very well, seems stiffer and nice steering wheel some improvements over STi7
Would love the STi8 JDM with loads more improvements to Engine and DCCD

Tony

Ps But I always love the one I have the Keys to

Ps prefer the STi7's seats

[Edited by T5NYW - 2/4/2003 9:02:02 PM]
Old 02 April 2003, 08:14 PM
Tboner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep whoops thinking WRX ( IDIOT) know what u mean about the seats they are a tighter fit in the 7 , wonder if the Active head restarints jobby has any bearing on the new seat ,? anybody know ? yep also as U say its the one U have the keys 4 , I am lucky or an idiot to be on my 4th Scooby , 1995,2000,2001,2003 Phew i must be NUTT's. Must be honest i think the STI8 is the best one yet Flame Flame He He , i would not have changed if it had been much the same.

[Edited by Tboner - 2/4/2003 9:16:28 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 12:30 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tony,
the racks identical too, Prodrive sell an update package for the 7 group N car (all external panels no oily bits) to update 7 to 8 for rallying. This will probably change when the next homologation takes place. At the moment there are some anomolies such as the ECD being homologated for loose surface, but not for tarmac. As for geometry changes there is enough adjustment in the suspension to adopt either 7 or 8 settings. In actual fact going to these settings from the usual "as it arrived" is a bigger difference than the difference between 7 and 8. Each generation should be an improvement on the last, but in this case hardly big enough to warrant changing a car only 10 months old. Some of the things they should have done were heated front screen, standard HID headlights (and driving lamps), proper digital climate control and a decent radio

Edited cos I can't spil

[Edited by JGRIFF - 2/5/2003 12:34:10 AM]