Sponsored by:

Just drove MY03 WRX back to back with Golf R32

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2003, 01:59 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

..whilst my MY00 Turbo was in for a service. Very interesting comparison. The new scoob felt a lot smoother and more "solid" than my classic turbo. Still not quite so quick but it was almost certainly not "run in" of course. Interior again a big improvement on my classic and slightly up in quality again against the bugeye. Still some naff plastics and switchgear to let it down though (the same applies to the Forester XT I took a look at too). On the whole I was pretty impressed and was about to run it back to the dealership (MK) when I went past the local VW/Audi and saw an R32 parked outside. They were happy for me to take a test drive on the spot...which was nice.

First up, build quality. This has been covered many times before I know but it still feels a different league in a VW when compared to a Subaru. The seats in the Golf (optional leather) were extremely comfy not to mention VERY cool looking. The exhaust note on fire up was the next thing to impress me. Gorgeous! Performance-wise, it seemed a match for the WRX but an STi would have it licked I'm sure. The different kind of power delivery was really noticeable when driven back to back with a Scoob, of course. The ride on both cars was better than previous Golf's and Scoobs I've driven, especially on the Golf when compared to the crashy 1.8T's I've been in.

On the whole, if I was buying today my money would have been on the Golf. R32 vs new STi might have been a different story, however. I will seriously consider the R32 when mine's up for changing later this year. They do a 5 door in it and the lack of a 5 door sti rules this out as an option.
Old 24 January 2003, 02:44 PM
ruminator
Scooby Regular

Agreed,

The lack of a 5 door sti is a problem for me ( Currently run MY99 5 door )
Thought about importing JDM 5 door, but ?insurance/warrenty etc.

Hadn't thought about R32........ might give it a test drive

Rumy
Old 24 January 2003, 02:50 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

One thing to remember the Golf R32 is only going to be produced in small numbers until the Mk5 arrives this autumn, if you do want one don't dawdle, as once they are sold that's it. I have just checked the press release, only 500 available this year...........
Old 24 January 2003, 02:51 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Boot is still a bit small in the Golf (probably smaller than a 4 door Scoob) but the hatchback helps for access. I was pleasantly surprised by the Golf but if I went for one I'd probably have to swap the wife's car for something bigger too.

I'm also considering importing a jdm Sti Wagon. Waiting to hear what IM are going to come up with in terms of hotter Legacies & Foresters too though.

I though of the Golf as a mini S4 / RS6, which I'd love but sadly can't afford! Have you seen the Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo in Evo this month? That's another "possible" in my book.
Old 24 January 2003, 03:01 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

theres also a new mazda 6 coming out soon with a 280bhp engine, so i heard

[Edited by PPPscooby - 1/24/2003 3:02:44 PM]
Old 24 January 2003, 03:49 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, I've ordered an R32 for delivery in April. Its a blue 3 door. Watch this space and I'll let you all know if its ****e!
Old 24 January 2003, 04:03 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

heres the links to that mazda, not a bad looking car

and may give the sti8 a run for its money

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=29962

http://www.worldonline.co.za/moto/moto_center_New_mo.536606.html