Sponsored by:

IMPORTING A SUBARU

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 09:03 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just been offered an STi 76k km - looks brand new but the older shape.... for £7995 coming off the boat in the next couple of weeks. The message I got when asked if I had to change anything on it was this "all the changes will be done and it will be uk reg for the price stated you would not have to do anything thats what the sva and mot covers the price is all done and dusted on the road no more to pay... all you would have to do is insure it and put petrol in "

It certainly looks a beautiful car but is it risky to buy this sort of car?

Serious answers only please - and simple ones LOL

[Edited by Soulgirl - 1/22/2003 9:04:56 PM]
Old 22 January 2003, 09:16 PM
coco_scooby
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

hi

i would c about getting a check done i.e AA or RAC
peace of mind before u hand over the cash...
Old 22 January 2003, 09:25 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

I imported mine and got it SVA'd and its fine.

If its getting SVA'd, thats good as it will be met to UK requirements. Best bet is to go there when its all done and check the car for any dents/scratches etc.

You should be fine
Old 22 January 2003, 09:34 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

He wants a 10% deposit to reserve it.. is that normal? Here are the piccies.... It was born in 1996

Old 22 January 2003, 09:40 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Can only see red crosses.

If he wants 10%, tell him to kiss your ****! Cheeky bugger. It will still be there when he SVAs it!
Old 22 January 2003, 09:42 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

thanks money... if you hit Ctrl F5 they should show.. prolly coz there is a lot of pics and nets a bit slow.

Its tempting to send a deposit to make sure I get it as opposed to someone else.
Old 22 January 2003, 09:46 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Looks nice and clean.

Do you get your deposit back though if you decide not to buy it or do you lose it all? If you lose it, definitely not worth the risk as you can pick up a nice scoob quite easy

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2003, 09:53 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

No, he said I could get my deposit back I think I will visit him just after he gets it to check its real then hand over the dosh
Old 22 January 2003, 10:00 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Sounds ok then. Good luck
Old 22 January 2003, 11:14 PM
ImprezaWRX
Scooby Regular

I took what i thought was a risk at the time and bought an Import WRX and never looked back since.
Its priced to sell. Am pretty certain the seller would not expect you to buy the car if turns out to have mechanical probs.
the 10% will be to secure it for you.

Most Importers have a respctable agent based in Japan who does the purchasing and checking before parting with the cash...

I would not have any issues buying another import on pics alone and 10% deposit,returnable would suggest that the importer is a straight up guy

Mick

Edited to say Hi...lol

[Edited by ImprezaWRX - 1/22/2003 11:20:31 PM]
Old 22 January 2003, 11:59 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

I've not imported a car, but have just bought 1 which came into the country in june/july 2002.(BG5 GTB)
All I can say is that it's in mint condition, not a scratch or dint anywhere, and mechanically underneath looks like it just came off the production line, won't be the same after a good old British winter!!
From what i can gather, from a friend who sells imported Pajeiro's, is that there is a scale as to the condition of the cars imported, from damage repairables to mint, and the price reflects that accordly.
The pictures rairly lie.

Dremel.
Old 23 January 2003, 12:13 AM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

do Jap imported STi come in 4dr version, and is it normal for the intercooler to be to one side instead of in the centre like the UK turbo 2000s
Old 23 January 2003, 12:40 AM
ImprezaWRX
Scooby Regular

morning pps.

Sti's early classic models do have an off centre ic this then did change to a centre position on the facelift model.

And 4 doors are standard on the sti,s Far more more common than the two door models. type R's and such like

Mick
Old 23 January 2003, 06:14 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all you help guys. I have arranged to go see it the minute it comes off the boat and will hand over my deposit then (at least I get to see its real).

He has been more than helpful so far. I will post back when the deals done and dusted so I can pass on my reccommendations if they are appropriate
Old 23 January 2003, 08:55 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Imprezawrx, Most dealers have a respectable agent in Japan but that doesnt not guarantee that everyone they bring over will be fine! We have a good agent in Japan to and when we imported one car, he said it was excellent. It was well nice when it got here but then we noticed one of the rear shocks were gone.

It wasnt anything big to change but just wanted to point out that some agents in Japan sometimes dont even get to drive the car. They see it at an auction, buy it and get it sent to the docks.

Soul girl, go down check it out. If its nice, buy it. if ntos, get your 10% back and wait for something else. Job done
Old 23 January 2003, 09:12 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't know much about importing car's, but I would say if something isn't quite right with the car don't feel you have to buy it. There are plenty of very good Scoob's about try to be patient. I've brought some real lemons by not being patient.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 23 January 2003, 09:28 AM
oj
Scooby Regular

has the importer got a copy of the condition paper for the car, as this will highlight any body panel repairs and any faults - omittingly it will be in japanese... I am sure that someone on this site would be able to have it translated.. also, ask for the grade of the car when it was sold.. 4 and above it will be good.. as this will give you another feel for the car..

Does the importer advertise in the mags or/and via the net..??? I would agree with Money, check everything out first as there are good and bad in all warps of life..!!!

Best of luck...

OJ...
Old 23 January 2003, 09:54 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Hi peeps, (still havent got rid of my sport yet Money),
anyway, I have done a bit of research into importing myself.
(unaware that there are a few out there who have looked into importing, and have been quite happy to do so.)
I have contacted a guy in japan, who obviously works for or runs a
franchise.(something to do with Dolphinet).
I have asked him about exporting a car to UK for me which he is more than happy to do. Also asked about poss of stolen cars,..
He said all cars are checked out, have also to be deregistered from Japan,(which they carry out). I would probably prefer this method, than going to a UK importer; (do you know where he gets his cars from ?? Then again he wouldnt stay in business long)
Soulgirl, ask the importer for the full model code, if he can supply; to know what your getting, (or has he done this already).
ie...for 95-96 cars
GC8C48D WRX 4 door
GC8C4ED WRX STi2 4 door
GC8C4DD WRX RA STi
96-97
GC8D48D WRX 4 door
GC8D4ED WRX STi3 4 door
GC8D4DD WRX RA STi3

By the way price looks reasonablish for the miles/year.
Although cheaper again if you have a contact in Japan as you
will obviusly not pay the UK importers markup.
I was offered a 96 RA (non facelift) 31k miles, would have worked
out in total (inc SVA,shipping registering, service,duty)
for around £7000.
Good luck anyway..
Old 23 January 2003, 10:08 AM
ImprezaWRX
Scooby Regular

MONEY. Don’t recall my post saying that every import will be fine or that by having a respectable agent will guarantee it?.

"Most" Importers have a respectable agent based in Japan who does the purchasing and checking before parting with the cash...

On the same note some importers agents apparently don’t check the cars. Buy them from the auction and then ship them to the UK completely unchecked,

I would like to know that the car had being checked out before they bought it. And most definitely before I did...

The good news is you get to see it when it arrives and your deposit is returnable

Hope it all works out fine for you

Mick
Old 23 January 2003, 01:10 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

If the car has been purchased through an auction, then you should have a condition paper, giving grade and details of changes made to the car.. When I purchased mine through an auction, via a company in Japan, they provided me with the condition papers, scanned, and checked the car over, I also asked them questions about the vehicle which they checked for me.. When the car arrived in the UK, I checked it over and was totally satisfied and very happy with my purchased.. I did the SVA myself and encountered a few problems, that's because I wasnt fully aware of some of the regulations.. Anyway, I would suggest that seeing the condition paper, and when it arrives in the UK, ensure it has the de-reg doc's in Japanese as well..

OJ... I still haven't stop smiling when I see my car..!!
Old 23 January 2003, 02:34 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Imprezawrx, i know you didnt say all. All i wanted to point across is some Jap agents only buy the vehicle at the auctions and dont get chance to drive the cars themselves.

So you could have one that looks nice but a buggered engine! Thats why i was just saying to check the vehicle when you see it.

Im not having a go at you, i just want to point that out
Old 23 January 2003, 02:40 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Got any pictures???

When it came in and now???
Old 23 January 2003, 03:26 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

The model Ive been offered is the GC8C4ED WRX STi2 4 door. He has an agent in Japan who supplies the cars. He says he will also give a 3 month warranty. He also suggested that I carry out a kind of hpi check but says an AA inspection wasnt necessary. Think I will still get one done though. Has anyone here, who has imported, done an AA check?
Old 23 January 2003, 03:43 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

OMG! I just called Liverpool and Victoria and they have quoted me £608.08 fully comp for this car! They did not require trackers or cat 1 alarm!!!! Go get your quotes boys
Old 23 January 2003, 04:21 PM
ImprezaWRX
Scooby Regular

No probs Money completely understand what your saying,
And agree that some reps may not test the cars but buying from such could be serious on the wallet.

Soulgirl.Wow £608 fully comp and no tracker for an sti import thats well amazing, You can not afford not to buy it..lol
Hope the car is everything you want it to be...

My experience of insuring my measly WRX was scary had to have Tracker fitted or would not even touch me. Thats with 12 years no claims and just 3 points (sp30)

Old 23 January 2003, 04:28 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I may well acrue a few SP30's myself now LOL. Give Liverpool Victoria a ring.. you can always swap your insurance over.
Old 23 January 2003, 07:38 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

lol at imprezawrx.

Soul girl, you go for it!
Old 24 January 2003, 08:36 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Right! That is definately the car for me. I dream't about it last night and was worried that he would sell it before I had the chance to see it and secure it with a deposit. So I called him tonight and am sending my deposit tomorrow (letter composed and cheque written). One thing I can say is that I have always been able to trust a Yorkshireman so my intuition yells at me that this is the deal of the century for me.

The next time you shall hear, or see, from me, shall be pictures sat upon the bonet of my beloved STi2!

Thats all.... be happy for me
Old 24 January 2003, 08:54 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Cool

Soulgirl,
Don't want to put a spanner in the works.....but, if the car in the picture, is the car you are buying and is classed as an STi2 I would question a few things.

1. Should the STi not have red/clear rear lights?
2. The seats should be different from a WRX import
3. The intercooler should be silver not black

As I said I don't to spoil your fun (I know whats its like looking at picture's and erm 'getting off' to them)!!!!

Maybe somebody could clarify a these points.

Also check out www.sidc.co.uk and www.iowc.co.uk both sites provide lots of invaluable information.

Good luck

Cheers

Al

1995 wrx import!!
ps who is the importer???

[Edited by scoobydu - 1/24/2003 8:55:10 PM]
Old 24 January 2003, 09:00 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough - he did mention the colour of the digerdoos and said they would be changed back to clear.

I dont want to mention the name of the importer YET as I dont want anyone else getting 'her'.

I am confident that this man is a good man. He certainly appears to me to be an honest person and Im yet to be proved wrong... except in the case of my 'ex' best friend! That is another story.

Thank you for your concern - it is much appreciated. This thread has also been posted on a massive american board and nobody else has had any reservations.

Karen x

PS... Its a WRX STi2

[Edited by Soulgirl - 1/24/2003 9:01:51 PM]

Quick Reply: IMPORTING A SUBARU