Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

4 doors or 5 doors?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 02:10 PM
simon147
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been running a MY96 saloon, UK car, for coming up 3years and it's time to look for something a little newer. The question is 4 doors or 5 doors?

Apart from the obvious differences in that 1 is a saloon and 1 is a hatchback/sports wagon what else do I need to know?

are there any mechanical differences?
performance figures in the auto magazines suggest the 5 door is a little 'slower'
And why is it that 5 doors start off new more expensive and end up a little cheaper to buy than saloons?

any help appreciated, budget is limited and 5 doors seem to be somewhat of a bargain compared to saloon prices
Old 22 January 2003, 02:17 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I reckon it starts off costing more because there are less of them made, probably making production costs higher, and then they are less second-hand because they are less popular really.

I read on here that they are more rigid than the 4 door counterpart thus you would think it will corner better. I think generally they are the same car just the back comes down differently...

Andy

[Edited by SiDHEaD - 1/22/2003 2:17:35 PM]
Old 22 January 2003, 02:59 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

From 96 onwards the 4 and 5 doors have the same power. The 5 door is slightly heavier (about 30Kg IIRC). I don't think there is much in it as far as speeds are concerned though. They are both both quite heavy and have the aerodynamic properties of a Lada Niva so the body shape doesn't come into it much. Mechanically they are almost identical.

Handling wise, i've heard wagon owners say the wagon is best and the saloon owners say the saloons are best?? Not exactly scientific proof.

Only reason the classic wagons are cheaper is that they aren't as popular (they were more expensive to buy new). Bear in mind that the wagons aren't the first choice of the 'boy racer' so chances are most wagons will not have been abused as much as the saloons.
Old 22 January 2003, 05:27 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

The 5-door has the obvious space and convenience. Because it is less eye-catching, it has obvious security benefits (and raises more eyebrows when you blow a ******-nova into the weeds) It would be surprising indeed, if anyone on the board was so sensitive to the performance of his/her car that he/she could tell the difference - even less to the point of it being a decisive factor in a buying decision. IMHO, it comes down to image, convenience and cost - and only you can make that judgement

FWIW I've had 2 5-doors - and would have had a 5-door STi, had such a thing existed (see another thread in "General")

Phil
Old 22 January 2003, 11:54 PM
normarker2
Scooby Regular

You can get more fishing tackle in a 5 door.
Well its important to me.
Old 23 January 2003, 12:08 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tested the 4 door new AND the 5 door - I COULD tell the difference in handling. The 4 door tended to skip about more. Also I have a BIG dog!!

Security wise the 5-door has it, park nose in anywhere and find it there when you get back!

The boy-racer thing is a valid point, 5-doors are NOT their first choice

Pete