Sponsored by:

Bodywork Warranty...anyone claimed?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 09:44 AM
hairydog
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm seriously considering not keeping up with my bodywork warranty.

My car celebrates its 5th birthday and its wanting an expensive Subaru dealer bodywork service. I have spoken to a top mechanic at a former Subaru dealership who says they can do bodywork service identical to a dealership for about £40.

My car's bodywork, underbody etc, is in very good nick apart from the odd stone chip of course. Anyone have an opinion on whether its worth paying the extra to keep up with the warranty? Has anyone claimed on the warranty and was it worth the money on the service?

Rich
Old 22 January 2003, 10:13 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yes, me.

Although the body service is primarily an underbody treatment, it's required to keep the anti-corrosion warranty for the whole car valid.

I had a major respray - about 1/2 the car - at 18 months for stone chip damage on my MY00, and last week (car now 3 yrs old) I had a rust spot repaired under the bootlid, where one of the rubber bumpers had worn through the paint.

I'd have it done if I were you.

A.
Old 22 January 2003, 11:16 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Got my 5 year one done along with the service. Only cost an extra £55
Old 22 January 2003, 04:25 PM
Pieman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Think twice. I had a warranty claim turned down by IM for stonechips on a MYOO at just 21,000 miles and just under three years old. This was despite having had the proper bodywork stuff done at year one.
Not happy!
Old 22 January 2003, 04:34 PM
hairydog
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated, certainly food for thought. The only thing I anticipate going wrong with the bodywork is stone chips and it doesn't seem clear that this is covered.

Cheers

Rich
Old 22 January 2003, 05:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Pieman (and others): IM turned my claim down first time - they sent a rather terse fax stating that stone chip damage wasn't covered.

I then wrote a fairly strong letter to them explaining that I felt that the paint wasn't fit for the purpose, and that seemed to do the trick.

Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference whether I'd had the body services up to date or not, but I figure it didn't do any harm. My car is nice and chip-free now, even 18 months later.

I've also just claimed for a rust spot caused by a rubber button under the bootlid wearing through the paint - again, it's not as though the body service would make any difference to the rust, but it does make the warranty claim go much more smoothly.

A.
Old 22 January 2003, 05:10 PM
myp1
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

the slippery snakes will twist and turn re the body.by the time u notice the rust its a case of oh no that has resulted from a stone chip and is not covered.unless u are planning to keep the car for life take a look every now and again and any gaps slop some thick underseal on it nobody will see underneath ur car.on the body keep an eye on it but u will never get a claim on a stonechip/rust case.get used to the fact that once u have paid for the car u are surplus to requirments by im/subaru

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2003, 05:17 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

IMHO the body service a waste of money. It's just a way of making you pay for any of IM's warranty claims.

My car's only 18 months old so I'm not speaking from much experience though.

A bit off thread, I know, but I found that since I started using Wax Wizard's polish I get much less stone chipping.