Sponsored by:

Would you sell your scoob if..........?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2003, 01:35 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

... you had a MY99 with 86k and had replaced a gearbox in September 2002 and it's now at dealers for zero compression in cylinder 3 (VISA crusher on the way) (presumed burnt valve/ring at best or holed piston or whatever) and that's after other 'smaller' repairs (MAF's, wheel bearings.............etc)

Yes it's out or warranty as dealer said it wasn't worth extending it as .... I quote "these things are bombproof" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Yes it's been driven 'spiritedly' but seldom abused, no trackdays and always warmed up cooled down and with FSSH.

My point being.... that after a new gearbox and probable bit of hefty engine work (if not a complete replacement), would you be tempted to keep it and be hopeful that the worst has passed or bin it and cut your considerable losses?

Oh....and any tales of woe from peeps who have had even worse luck would sure make pleasant listening

Old 21 January 2003, 01:44 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope wouldnt sell it.. would mend it..

Could always get someone to mend with secondhand parts..

David
Old 21 January 2003, 01:52 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How did that happen SiPie? I thought you were one of the "Monitor everything to the nth degree crew"

I'd keep it and get it fixed...what's the worst that could happen . If you got another, you'd only be worried about summat breaking on it again.

Mikey
Old 21 January 2003, 01:52 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David

I know your knowledge is pretty vast on the world of all things scoob so can I ask another question if you don't mind....?

Not got facilities or knowledge to do big jobs myself and relatively dependant on local dealer... so in your experience what are the likely future things to go bang that may cost a fair bit?(apart from consumables)

I fully appreciate that this was never going to be the cheapest car to run if driven hard, but if it's going to carry on costing me thousands a year in repairs then need to think again... unless I pay for your plane fair and you come and fix it when it breaks
Old 21 January 2003, 01:54 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mikey

Nae gauges at all mate.... you got the wrong guy

Monitor how much fuel is in the tank and that's about it
Old 21 January 2003, 01:54 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Tough one I guess, if only they came with 3 year warranty and crystal ball

I know the situation, bought my UK 95 with 80k miles but it had just HAD engine rebuild, clutch, Turbo hence the reason I bought it. However, now I think the clutch may be on it's way, who knows what the gearbox is like etc etc.

I've always been with the "Mend it, keep it" lobby but then it's not small money we're talking about.

Trouble is, if you sell it you'd take a hit on the price you get to account for repairs required and also, there can't be much else to go after this...can there??

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 21 January 2003, 01:57 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Had same catalogue of errors with my last car, a saab 900 turbo. Gearbox went the day after I bought it and it was downhill from there.

Keep it...if you a buy another one, whats to say that one wont have the same problems? Or trade in for a newer model with warranty.
Old 21 January 2003, 01:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well Gridlocks argument just crashed and burned
Old 21 January 2003, 02:00 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Doofus

Cheers m8, been thinking along those lines but dealer maybe not too happy to take as a trade in...

Kempo

there can't be much else to go after this...can there??
I think the same mate, but hence my naive question above to David, cheers
Old 21 January 2003, 02:02 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Kenny

In defence of gridlock, I've got no 'serious' mods though, so why the need for gauges sticking out everywhere?

Cheers
Old 21 January 2003, 02:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Doofus

Cheers, the clutch was replaced in Sept along with the gearbox (labour saving, as was just about to go ) so only around 8k miles on it

I'm tempted by the warranty/newer scoob idea but feel gut-sick paying the dealer's mark up when he'll be offereing me crap money for mine
Old 21 January 2003, 02:19 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Now now saxo How are you m8?

I do care by the way, but like SiPie said, I've got the wrong guy

I don't wish engine failiures (sp?) on anyone by the way If mine goes then that's my problem and my wallet.

Mikey
Old 21 January 2003, 02:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

My scoobylife is great, my work life sucks and my personal life is scaring me, its that fcuked up

I still maintain you should have had a boost gauge sipie, just as the first indiation that it might be over/under boosting. Also cause they look
Old 21 January 2003, 02:29 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

But Kenny

Hindsight's a great thing mate but felt something wasn't right a few weeks ago and it didn't take a boost gauge to tell me that it was the flat spot at 4k that indicated it. If I hadn't been so lazy and taken it to the dealers there and then and hadn't wasted time thinking that it was just plugs [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img], then this tale may have had a different outcome

Maybe on the next one m8

Must go as have to work, to keep job, to earn money, to pay garage bills, to keep scoob
Old 21 January 2003, 02:43 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

It's a difficult question.

On the one hand, having stumped up all the money you're tempted to keep it rather than have anyone else benefit from the money you've spent. And you know that the engine and gearbox are OK -- who knows what state they'd be in if you got another car.

On the other hand, you might want to cut your losses and get perhaps a cheaper Scoob so you're not out of pocket.

Personally, if it happened to me I'd sell the Scoob afterwards and get something non-Scoob, but I've owned mine for over three years. The most I've spent in one go (so far) is about £1700 for 4 new tyres, new discs and pads front and rear, oil change service and a new clutch. I was very tempted to sell up after that, but now it's just water under the bridge. I realized that if I bought another car, in a couple of months it could end up needing new tyres, new brakes, new clutch, etc.

But engine and gearbox is a bit more money. Have you considered getting a recon engine fitted, rather than the existing one rebuilt? OTOH IIRC Roger Clark Motorsport are pretty competitive for engine rebuilds.
Old 21 January 2003, 02:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Doofus.... Diesel Corsa ain't happeneing - just yet

In all reality I could with something with far fewer miles, so may get grovelling to the dealer... as long as he doesn't try and give me one of those 'bug-eye' things......
Old 21 January 2003, 02:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Have you had it from new? If not, you don't know how it was treated before you got it.

I'm starting to get a bit worried now (MY00, 83k, but I've done all the miles and always warmed up, cooled down properly, etc.)
Old 21 January 2003, 02:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Carl..

Debating all options at the moment mate... but will wait until final word comes back from dealer on Thurs when they have had a chance o open it up and do more than a compression test.

Took that option with the gearbox when they said they would re-build the old one at great cost so sourced one from a rolled WRX with 9k on the clock, and that turned out to cost @ £1700 fitted (including new clutch) So will prob go down similar route with engine - hopefully Rally Col can provide if needed

Edited to say that I bought it with 62k on the clock (ex fleet car - all motorway miles) and I totally grilled the guy who owned it previously and it had a full AA inspection

Cheers
Si

[Edited by SiPie - 1/21/2003 2:58:36 PM]
Old 21 January 2003, 04:02 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All excellent food for thought Doofus and will debate and let you all know what I decide to do on Thursday..

Cheers again
Old 21 January 2003, 04:22 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

worth bu66er all in bits - do you have a choice?

i would mend it personally.

weava
Old 21 January 2003, 04:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you do get your engine rebuilt then the mileage on your car becomes less relevant if you decide to keep it. It'll have a good condition engine, nice new gearbox and clutch and the bodywork is fine. Provided its treated correctly and assuming the diffs don't pack in there isn't many big things left to go wrong. Piece of mind driving if you ask me
Old 21 January 2003, 05:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed Kenny

But................. hence my question to David

so in your experience what are the likely future things to go bang that may cost a fair bit?(apart from consumables)
I agree with your thinking mate but I need to be relatively free of massive bills for the next year at least, as I would be cheaper taking up crack cocaine, alcholism, heroin and ferrari ownership... than running this thing at the currrent rate
Old 22 January 2003, 12:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would pursue the trade-in route with the Dealer.

How much does anyone reckon a new engine would cost to a Dealer?

They would have a much better chance of selling the car with a new engine than you would with a re-con. Afterall a new engine should be more appealing to someone than one with 80K on it.

I would be worried about something else going on the car after it was repaired as well as trying to sell it later down the road.

Even if it cost me a couple of grand in the long run, I would be much happier with another car (with a warranty).

Stefan
Old 22 January 2003, 12:28 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
oops that will teach me to reply and not look in the thread again..

Cheers chiark for the email.. Automatic Personal thread notification!

It all depends on how you drive the car in my opinion..

If you rebuild the engine, with second hand pistons, a gasket set etc and a general clean up, (replace seals etc)

then you could kill anotherbox, turbo could go...

exhaust could drop off.. rocker cover gaskets, head gaskets..

Depends on the boost etc..

I would worry more about the clutch or the gearbox going, everything else can be done easily enough..

Get a knocklink and oil temp and oil pressure gauges?

Its a 1 million dollar question.. anything could fail.. cv joints.. wheel bearings...

They all require effort to fix, and if your not doing it yourself then it gets expensive.

HTH

David
Old 22 January 2003, 12:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Or you could become a mechanics apprentice with Andy F
Old 22 January 2003, 12:39 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David... thanks for your advice
The gearbox and clutch were replaced in August so hopefully no worries there but as you say it could be turbo next week followed by whatever else

Stefan
Caught in two minds mate, if damage relatively small then patch up and go, but if whole new engine needed then I'll plea to the dealers better nature on Thursday re trade in and a zero % finance deal and warranty until 2042 on a new STI8 with my old classic bonnet scoop stuck on!!!!!

Quick Reply: Would you sell your scoob if..........?