Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sorry...I thought I'd hit a tree..." !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2003, 08:22 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

- A tale of woe and amazement -

I'd gone to visit a friend in Stourport-On-Severn. I'd parked outside his house on a busy main road, and as it's got pavement then grass verge then low kerb, I parked 50/50 grass/road. The area is well lit by a nearby streetlamp. It's about 200yds away from a traffic light controlled crossroads.

I was letting the engine idle as I gathered my belongings, with my lights still on. As I was about ready to shut everything down, I noticed a queue of traffic coming toward me, released by the lights.

** BANG! **

I jumped out of my skin, as the first passing car hit me in some fashion and continued driving virtually in the gutter all the way down the road!!!

I flashed my lights and blew the horn, to no avail. I watched in disgust - Then saw them indicate and turn left into a side road about 1/4 mile up the road.

I quickly jumped out to inspect the damage. Being glad it was only my wing-mirror shroud with a triangular chunk out of the edge and a nice crack running across the front of it. The glass escaped unscathed.

I got back in the car, and determined to find the perpetrator for recompense. Within 5 minutes of scouting around the area down that junction, I'd found the car outside a shop.

There was one person in it. A middle aged woman. I ventured in and asked if the Skoda ( :P ) outside was hers. She confirmed it was.

Me: "Did you happen to hear a bump as you were driving down the road, just?"

Her: "Yes, I did..."

Me: "That was you hitting my car. You've done some damage. I'd like you to have a look, please."

She inspected it and admitted liability. Her next line rocked my world. "Sorry...I thought I'd hit a tree" FFS!!!! Jeezuz H Tap-dancing Christ!! My car is sat in a well lit area, with its lights on, and has been stationary for over a minute - She must have been looking at it all that time as the first car at the traffic lights!

You have to worry don't you.

I've got her name/address/tel no. Anybody any idea how much an MY99 Dark Blue Mica wing-mirror shroud and fitting would be?
(I bet I've gotta get the thing sprayed, haven't I? )

<sigh>

Cheers,
Squizz.
Old 16 January 2003, 08:27 AM
ChrisB

Colour coded - should be a few hundred notes new from a dealer.
Old 16 January 2003, 08:32 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

i have a n/s housing and mirror with loom in rb5 blue steel but i think u need the o/s dont u

try grade a components

i had similar thing happen although i was standing on pavement, noticed this old woman trying to reverse park in front of my mondeo (the fact that she was parking over a car park entrance didnt seem to bother her) so i'm standing next to the front of my car, she hits my car, goes 4ward, then back and hits it again, then forward, where upon she turns off car, gets out and locks up.

i ask her if she noticed a couple of thuds whilst parking

'yes' she says

i ask if she knew wot they were

'i hit the kerb' she says

i tell her that she has just hit my car twice,

she says 'no i didnt'

how do u explain the white paint on ur car (red car) i say

that was there before she replies

so i ask her why the exact same mark are missing from my bumper

'coincidence, i hit the kerb, now leave me alone i'm late for my nail appointment' and walks off

i couldnt give a to$$ about my car, it was a run around for that reason, it just amazing how thick and blind people r.

anyway payback happened, cos she parked across an entrance a van wiped out her wing mirror and pulled her bumper off one corner

[Edited by rb5 286 - 1/16/2003 8:51:03 AM]
Old 16 January 2003, 08:38 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Yup, driver's side. I know the MY00 had colour coded mirrors as standard, but they're DEEP Blue Mica whereas my car is DARK Blue Mica.

Can I force her to contact her insurance company if desired without the need to trouble mine? I see no need whatsoever... It's been so long since I've made a claim I can't remember the procedure in an instance like this.

[Edited by Squizz - 1/16/2003 8:38:22 AM]
Old 16 January 2003, 08:49 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hope you're not tarring all Skoda drivers with the same brush

Similar sort of thing happened to my Tavia - the other driver didn't stop and I didn't manage to track them down. End result was a 140 quid bill
Old 16 January 2003, 09:19 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Squizz, if you get no luck, tell her you'll contact your insurance company, and report it as a claim. Its will cost her a lot more that way. It may motivate her to pay for one from Subaru.

If you need any other insurance advice, email me as my bird is a negotiator for a well love insurance company on this forum (LV )and might be able to help out.

Thanks

Dan

Old 16 January 2003, 09:27 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dan - That's great advice and a very kind offer, thanks matey!

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2003, 09:32 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Rik - YHM

Dan
Old 16 January 2003, 09:54 AM
rmw986
Scooby Newbie

This is a little long but gets to the point in the end.

One of my mates for a garage and have a huge customer listing. One of them has been losing the plot over a period of time and more recently getting worse by parking in the garage car park, walking in getting 2 cups of water from the pow wow machine then cleaned his car from top to bottom with these 2 cups of water and drove off!
He re-appeared a few weeks later asking if they could fit some mud flaps to his car even though they were already fitted. He then spent 30 minutes looking in the car for them after which went in saying he must have left them at home. The next day they get a call from him saying great work and the mud flaps look great!

Just before xmas he got it into his head that he must carry a 6ft bit if 2x3 wood in the car (automatic clio) all the time. He was driving through town, had to brake quickly, the wood knocked the car into park and smashed it into a row of parked cars!

The point is if he drove into you, would he admit it or even remember it. There are some dangerous people on the roads.
Old 16 January 2003, 09:59 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dan (Scoobydoo555) - Replied, ta!
Old 16 January 2003, 10:13 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

After seeing the way some people drive round here I can sympathise!!!

Andy
Old 16 January 2003, 10:18 AM
Crush
Scooby Regular

****! Some people should not be allowed on the roads!
Old 16 January 2003, 10:20 AM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

a few years ago i was standing outside our garage talking to a customer.

there was a car waiting to pull out of the road thats almost opposite and an old customer of ours driving up the main road on same side as i was standing.

as the old chap goes to pass ourselves he pulls so far over that he hits the front end of the fiesta waiting to pull out and then carries on along the pavement,hits the garage forecourt wall before going back on his side of road and carrying on.

both cars were right offs due to damage and / or age yet the old chap didn't even know he'd hit anything
Old 16 January 2003, 10:34 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

The menopause has a lot to answer for
Old 16 January 2003, 10:55 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife took out the painted door mirror on our 406, and even though I had not sprayed anything before, I managed to gradually build up a few layers of paint and lacquer on a new casing and you now can't tell. Cost £35 (inc glass and the plastic bit, although the area is smaller than the Scooby) vs £250 for the dealer to do it.
Old 16 January 2003, 10:59 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John - I'd love to have the time or inclination to do this myself, but she's going to have to pay for someone to do it for me.

Such is life

If she'd been a bloke, you can bet your life she'd have been wearing a flat-cap.
Old 16 January 2003, 01:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Had a mr bean moment out our window last year...some guy in a rented Luton van, was up close to the parked cars. He pulled out way too sharp and the rear swung out and into the cars, dragging it down the road. He realised, stopped, reversed back and around the bend, onto the pavement, knocking a lamppost over. Stopped. Pulled forwards again to stop and inspect the damage and smashed into a parked mercedes e320.

He then got out and tried to say the car he initially dragged down the road ROLLED INTO HIM! Thats right, a parked car on a flat road!!!

Old 16 January 2003, 04:08 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

My Transit was parked in a bay in London when a bull bar equiped range rover did'nt make a turn and ploughed into the side at an angle, some of the office guys watched in horror from the window as he made no effort to reverse but instead revved up and pushed the van into the kerb and scraped all the way down the side, making off at speed.
Luckily the office guys were on the ball, the ran out and chased him down the street and caught him at the traffic lights.
Naturally he denied all knowledge until they threatened calling the police, then he came clean.....
what an ar$ehole
Old 16 January 2003, 04:14 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

almost forgot this one

about 12 years ago, mid january old dear in high street gets in her toyota after clearing a letter box size hole in the frost on her windscreen, starts up and drives straight into a large mercedes van parked in front of her because, and i quote

"i didn't know it was there"
Old 16 January 2003, 09:16 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

A few years ago I was slowly driving around a roundabout (down by Safeways near me Squizz) and watched in horror as this car carried straight on, also slowly, into me. I'd braked to almost a standstill, but was helpless.

The best part is, when I and the (over-aged) driver got out to "discuss his error", his wife said "I've been telling him for years that his eyesight is too bad to carry on driving". God, I'm surprised he could see outta his glasses, they were so thick it was like staring throught the bottom of a pint glass. I still have bad nerves every time at that spot - there's always some ******** who thinks its fine to ignore those already on it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Matthew

PS Squizz, let me know how you get on etc etc
Old 16 January 2003, 09:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry - thought there was a corner
Old 16 January 2003, 09:38 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
I've been waiting since this afternoon to do that joke!
Old 17 January 2003, 10:44 AM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Best one of all happened to me and a mate...

Sitting at this T-Junction waiting to turn right onto a more major route in a 30mph zone.

Sitting there, when from the right a Volvo hoves into view indicating to turn left - middle aged woman at the wheel. The traffic to left had no gaps, so I decided to sit and wait.

The volvo approaches the junction, slows right down, begins to turn into the road I'm waiting to leave then....

Just drives straight into the drivers door!!!!

Me and me mate sat there absolutely gobsmacked, she then keeps going along the rear wing and gets stuck at the bumper.

I had to get out the passengers door - she winds down her window an inch and says

"You were driving like a lunatic. Speeding down the road like that. Didn't you see me?"

Absolutely totally dumbstruck.

Then, she tried bribing me with £20 to not involve the insurance company!!!

She did over £3000 worth of damage and wrote the car off.

The denied ever being there when the insurance company contacted her - then discovered she wasn't insured. Then had her crying down the phone to me asking me not to tell her husband. Then denying it again. Then had the police round saying I'd threatened her. Then accepting responsibility.

This went on for nearly six months.

The police gave up, the insurance company gave up, I gave up.

The car?

£25 worth of MK2 Astra SRi runaround - just wasn't worth the bother

Old 17 January 2003, 12:18 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Merc,

What a devious, lying, deceitful little cow- Id have kept pursuing until she went to court & got a ban- less likely to smash into someone with a half decent motor then! would have thought one of those 'where there's blaim- there's a claim!' companies would've had a field day with her! ...she'd only be able to afford a scooter then ...and imagine the damage she'd do when she hits something again

DazW
Old 17 January 2003, 12:22 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

At least I managed to live to tell my tale - It was nearly a different matter when a few years ago I had to screech to a halt on a local roundabout...

...Flat-cap wearing senile old ****-wit driving his fiesta the wrong way around the roundabout!

Carried on merrily past me.

<sigh>
Old 17 January 2003, 01:55 PM
rmw986
Scooby Newbie

I dont know about anyone\where else but recently people here (oxford) seem to have forgotten how to use roundabouts. No joke.
People that either 'forget' or are to damn lazy to signal at all when exiting a round about or signal 2 exits before the one they are using should be shot, first in the ankles then move up each time the **** up.
Harsh - maybe, fair - I think so.
Old 17 January 2003, 03:12 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Angry

Squizz,

Totally gutted mate again, this makes me think that I am better off not getting another scooby.

Rich