Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Policeman stabbed to death in Manchester

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 10:04 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and no - he WASN'T taxing people.... more trying to rid the streets of scum!!!

My condolences to his family.
Old 14 January 2003, 10:10 PM
Be bop a luna
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

That's very sad news indeed
Old 14 January 2003, 10:45 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

I hope they catch the scum that did this
Old 14 January 2003, 11:05 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2659133.stm

Its great with hindsight, but on counter terrorism and no protective clothes

Prayers to the policemans family. People forget that without people doing this job we could have large scale deaths due to Mr Bin Laden. We only see the bit that affect us and not all the other bits that let us lead a normal life.

Jonathan
Old 14 January 2003, 11:17 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

My condolences.
Old 14 January 2003, 11:35 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

my prayers go out to his family. this should'nt happen.

gav...
Old 15 January 2003, 12:31 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tragic news.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2003, 07:48 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Feckin'muppets [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Awful news 3 kids as well, and 3 other officers stabbed
Old 15 January 2003, 08:00 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hope they catch the skum that did it.

I was chatting to one of the surrey boys in blue the other night, some of the stuff he told me and the amount of radio activity/content was a real eye openner. They do so much we don't hear about.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:21 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Angry

An absolute disgrace.

Hope you lot that say the police do nothing are ashamed.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Im gobsmacked. So sad that what should have been a simple arrest of 1 person turned into a fatal stabbing of a police officer. 3 men in custody, AIUI.

Sincere condolences to his family, and my thoughts are with his kids.

I hope the investigation into this finds out what on earth went wrong and ensures it never happens again.

Nick.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:49 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hopefully now the Police will be issued with stab vests as standard equipment.

Sympathies for his family and I hope the other officers all recover.
Old 15 January 2003, 08:53 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Angry

In this country the police treat everyone as a person rather than a potential criminal, which unfortunately can lead to this happening if you meet a phsyco.

Maybe it's time to start handcuffing everyone who may have commited a crime that is spoken to? (what a bad day that would be)

Edited to make some sense

[Edited by medders - 1/15/2003 8:57:31 AM]
Old 15 January 2003, 09:06 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Its not the police who do nothing, its the damn justice system.

Whats going to happen to them now? Deported, doubt it, probably get pointed in the direction of a supplier of cheap castor oil.

The war on terrorism is being lost; not enough checks being made at point of entry and known suspects (like bin ladens right hand man) are still in this country, f**ked up or what!

Old 15 January 2003, 09:06 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Sounds like not only a terrible tragedy but also a terrible mistake. Seems they already had them under arrest and failed to retain control of them. Maybe this highlights procedural problems that need to be addressed by the police ASAP.

Just goes to show that we need to watch all these immigrants/asylum seekers and those with possible allegiance to terrorism. This includes people of all races so is obviously not racist in intent as many seem to claim

[Edited by scooby-new - 1/15/2003 9:08:42 AM]
Old 15 January 2003, 09:07 AM
Gina G-force
Scooby Regular

Shocked and deeply saddened to learn about this. It's an old question (frequently mocked), but where will it all end??

Condolences to his family and friends.

Gina G
Old 15 January 2003, 09:15 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

scoobynew - The only way you can ensure someone can't grab a knife is to either hold them or handcuff them to the rear with rigid cuffs. IIRC they had been under arrest for an hour at the premises. It's something thats done many many times. You don't restrain people for an hour. People are given the benefit of the doubt and not trussed up. If people were routinely trussed up we'd get alot more whining posts on here about the police doing wrongs blah blah. catch 22.

Old 15 January 2003, 09:43 AM
Road-rash
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sadly crime in the UK is out of control anybody that takes a life should not be put in a cell. they should be put to the ELECTRIC CHAIR, why should we pay to keep them alive.how many on here feel safe any more?
Old 15 January 2003, 10:14 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is much in the way of protective clothing for knife attacks. Kevlar certainly works well for bullets, but is crap for knives (blade gets in between the fibres).
Old 15 January 2003, 10:18 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Most police forces use both stab and ballistic vests (in one)

Old 15 January 2003, 10:29 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Medders-You have highlighted my point that it is standard procedure to behave the way the police did. Unfortunately in the case of terror suspects it doesn't work -with awful consequences like these.I'm all for keeping terrorist suspects restrained throughout until taken to a secure place and processed. Not talking about "routinely trussing up" normal criminals here, just terror suspects.
Also it wasn't an implied criticism of the police just that the game has moved on a bit from dealing with common criminals to fanatics who would happily kill themselves as well as others.
Old 15 January 2003, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

scooby-new, that's close to interrment though, isn't it?

I'm all for protecting our police (and the rest of the country!) but I think that the problems arise when you take things to the extreme. Who decides whether a terror suspect should be detained? Who decides how long they can be detained without charge?

Something needs to be done, but as always I'm not sure there's a quick fix. Would be very interested in BuRR's opinion on this, as I have no clue as to what is and isn't currently allowed...

Nick.
Old 15 January 2003, 10:41 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

I think perhaps I didnt express myself very clearly. I didnt mean remove all their rights- keep them locked up without charge etc.
I was merely talking about extra caution during the time of arrest taking into account the added threat.
Just treat them as the danger they represent until they are in a safe controlled environment- having been searched etc. Then unrestrain them and allow them to be treated as normally as safety permits.
Old 15 January 2003, 10:54 AM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Due to to this dam political correctness, half the time the police go into an incident with their hands tied behind their backs. If they handcuffed the man, then they get accused of heavyhandedness and because they didn't this is what happens.

Old 15 January 2003, 10:55 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Got ya

It becomes difficult to know where to draw the line though, and how to classify a terrorist suspect... Fully agree with the intentions, and you can bet your bottom dollar that if I was in the position of going against someone who is wanted on terrorism charges I'd be damned cautious at the expense of their personal liberties.

From what people are saying here though, the stabbing happened an hour after the arrest. If someone's been subdued all the way through the hour, then flips, what would you do?

Whatever, someone's been murdered. Lessons do need to be learned and, with the public mood at the moment, hopefully a toughening up of procedures at the risk of pissing off the civil liberties groups would be acceptable. With the news that burglaries aren't to be investigated unless there's a suspect, the announcement that the police want to speak to someone who allegedly assaulted a burglar on his property and all sorts of crap like this, I don't know how much more people will take of the softly-softly approach.

Nick.
Old 15 January 2003, 11:00 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

sorry scoobynew we're all getting crossed wires

I'm saying ANY person could potentially do what has happened here. It's happened before. You weigh up the situation. If you read the article all the way down, the chap was being forensically searched which is a process you have to be very careful carrying out. They decided he could not be cuffed but WAS being held. He broke free.

You can't tell who's going to kick off or not in this sort of situation (with nutters) What a nightmare

[Edited by medders - 1/15/2003 11:01:17 AM]
Old 15 January 2003, 11:05 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

just as an addition, I've just redone my officer safety training. We are told in no uncertain terms that we should NOT be handcuffing prisoners who have shown no violence, which sounds like what happened here.

How on earth are you supposed to deal with this situation facing the obstacles that are put in our way?
Old 15 January 2003, 11:07 AM
Luke
BANNED

shoot the ******* in the legs when they open the door. This stops them moving around.
Old 15 January 2003, 11:12 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think the solution is probably somewhere between medders' comments on what happens currently and luke's suggestion
Old 15 January 2003, 11:17 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they suspected people of being linked to terrorism, they shouldn't have taken any risks.

They should've just got in there as quick as, not waited for any answers, just get them on the deck and cable-tie their hands and feet behind their backs. Check them over for weapons and them get them out of the house and down to the local police station for questioning.

Once they're no longer a threat, then they should be treated properly. The worst they could do in a police cell with a paper jump suit on is throw some punches or kicks.

The Police obviously have to tread a fine line between heavy-handedness and treating people as innocent until they can gather evidence, but if they drop their guard it's gonna cost lives.

They way it was dealt with wouldn't have happened in Ireland and I feel the Police have to take a similar approach over here when terrorism is suspected.

They should never have entered the house without proper body protection and I for one would have supported armed-police dealing with these types of situation.

Stefan

Quick Reply: Policeman stabbed to death in Manchester