ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oulton Park Track Day - Awesome!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2000, 05:09 PM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Saturday, 19th Feb Oulton Park - what a day!!

The day dawned dry a sunny, and was the 1st time I'd ever done a track day before. The event was organised by the Alfa Romeo Club North West. 96 cars, ranging from F40's, 911's, down to more modest motors. There were three groups, Race, Fast Road/experienced, Road/Novice, which was my group - obviously. Each group getting 20 mins per hour on track, 5 sessions per day.

There were plenty of Jap cars too, Evo's, Sunny GTi-R's, Skylines and several scooby's, (UK, RB5's Wrx's and STi's).

I can honestly say that it was the best days driving ever, the shear adrenalin rush was intoxicating.

I took it a bit easy at first, but scooby kept feeding back to me saying come on, come on let me show you what I can do, so by the 2nd session it was pedal to the metal all the time, except hitting the heavy pedal for the bends. My face is still aching from the "chunnel" sized grin that was on my face.

I was running with my STi3, totally standard except HKS plugs, panel filter, and M1155 pads up front and running on 97 SUL.

BTW I calculated the mpg afterwards, I used almost a whole tank for the 110miles of track time, ouch, (10-12 mpg!!)

So anyone who has n't experienced scoobs on track yet do not be afraid, just get out there and have one of the best days drives you'll ever get f.stop.

Thanks again to MORAY, BOB RAWLE and P+E, for the advice on geometry settings, and 930 Motorsport in Warrington for sqeezing me in friday afternoon to setup the geometry for me.

cheers

Have fun!

Howie.

btw. There was n't much difference between my STi and an MY99 UK Scooby (standard), I managed to pull away from him on the straights (about 5 car lengths over 1/4 mile) but he was up me chuff round the bends again, nice one!

So I'm off to P+E Thurday to get on the RR and see what the score is!

Old 22 February 2000, 07:40 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Howie

Glad you enjoyed the day.

How many wheels did you have on the grass coming out of Lodge, I managed two ( thank heaven for leather seats ) but another of our number managed all 4
Old 22 February 2000, 09:37 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

I have seen the video of a Scooby going out of Lodge getting all four wheels on the grass and then top and tailing it into the armco - not clever when you have to drive the car home. But Oulton Park providing you get full use of the circuit is great fun and should be treated as that. In the Caterham last year I was getting a nice four wheel drift going on the exit to Lodge, and was able to take Island bend before the hairpin flat in 6th
Old 22 February 2000, 09:21 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

When's the next one then?!?!

Andrew
Old 23 February 2000, 10:04 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys, thanks for your replies, looks like there are a lot of IT. guys out there with Scoobies, makes sense!

As it was my 1st track day, I tended to takes the bends according to book, which worked very well ie. using the markers for braking, turning in, apex and exit. By the afternoon scoobs was going that well and my confidence in scoobs was high, so I was more adventurous with regards to the bends, powering thru, getting the back end to drift, dialing in some opposite lock on the exits keeping the line well - Just talking about it now invokes a jaw aching grin.

It was the full circuit, scoobs was pulling 110 down the straights, and felt pretty quick.

I was a tad mystified when I was blue flagged and had to pull over to the right to let a Merc Estate go by (between Druids and Lodge) I was pulling a ton 10 down there when he passed me, he sailed round lodge just infront of me on full opposite lock with his tail right out - what a sight!, I did find out later that it was a heavily modded AMG'er pulling 380BHP and more torque than old Clarkson himself. - fair'e'nuff.

So I did n't get any wheels on the grass at Lodge, but had a lovely 4w drift round there to the exit cone, before roller costering down the dip and up and out to Deer Leap, flat in 3rd.

The good thing about this event,especially at Oulton was that it was well marshelled and organised, with a broad cross section of cars, and NO MAX POWER F'wits to p*ss everybody off.

Andrew - Cannot wait for the next one (July and one to follow in September)

Chiz
Howie
Old 23 February 2000, 11:41 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Robbie / Guys

Wasn't at the LTR/SIDC day, just the Lister's Of Worcester Track day.

Carefully ( nearly ) driven Scoobs only plus a Calibra 4WD.

Full Circuit.

Nobody dinged a panel on their cars.

[This message has been edited by Neil Micklethwaite (edited 23-02-2000).]
Old 25 February 2000, 07:46 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Guys - all this talk of four wheel drifting -well I'm not so sure, I was giving a lot of you grief in an 1.8 Nissan Primera!

One of the only ones going for it was some chap in an RB5. Fair play at least he was driving it as it should be!!

And who was the guy in the yellow 993 Porsche? In the end I was getting bored being held up and started reverse flicking it into Old Hall.

Such fun - I think I'll get a 2 litre car next time and try and keep up with the better driven cars!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Micklethwaite:
<B>Robbie / Guys

Wasn't at the LTR/SIDC day, just the Lister's Of Worcester Track day.

Carefully ( nearly ) driven Scoobs only plus a Calibra 4WD.

Full Circuit.

Nobody dinged a panel on their cars.

[This message has been edited by Neil Micklethwaite (edited 23-02-2000).][/quote]

Old 25 February 2000, 07:48 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

The day was good fun.

I'm not trying to take the mickey here but I'm happy to give some track instruction or passenger rides to anyone next time.

I was driving the 1.8 Nissan Primera.
Old 25 February 2000, 08:36 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Phil.

Quick questions - Which Primera, Which Track Day, Which Planet ?????

This was the first Lister's Track Day ( 22nd September 1998 ).

RB5's did not exist then - I got one of the first ( 030 ) in April 1999 and for the Oulton Track day in question I was in my MY96.

So your quote of 'One of the only ones going for it was some chap in an RB5. Fair play at least he was driving it as it should be!! ' It cannot havve been the track day I was on.

As stated Scoobs only + the Calibra.

If you want to quote me - get it right or don't bother.

I'm not taking the mickey but .................................................. .................

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[This message has been edited by Neil Micklethwaite (edited 25-02-2000).]
Old 25 February 2000, 09:14 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Appologies - but I assumed that as the title was Oulton track day - I thought it was the one that took place last - i.e 19/2/00.

Either way - I enjoyed myself. Whatever no need to get stressed.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Micklethwaite:
<B>Phil.

Quick questions - Which Primera, Which Track Day, Which Planet ?????

This was the first Lister's Track Day ( 22nd September 1998 ).

RB5's did not exist then - I got one of the first ( 030 ) in April 1999 and for the Oulton Track day in question I was in my MY96.

So your quote of 'One of the only ones going for it was some chap in an RB5. Fair play at least he was driving it as it should be!! ' It cannot havve been the track day I was on.

As stated Scoobs only + the Calibra.

If you want to quote me - get it right or don't bother.

I'm not taking the mickey but .................................................. .................

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[This message has been edited by Neil Micklethwaite (edited 25-02-2000).][/quote]

Old 25 February 2000, 11:08 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil,
If you read the first line of the start of this thread it reads "<B><I>Saturday, 19th Feb Oulton Park - what a day!!</B></I>"

So I would love to know where you get "<B><I>22nd September 1998</B></I>" from......

Besides, Phil never quoted anything you said anyway......

Greeting Phil, always knew the Primera 1.8 was a good 'un

S

laters

fris
Old 25 February 2000, 11:13 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Thanks - In fairness to Neil I think I cocked up a little by pressing the wrong reply button, still I'm not a techie I.T chap. Anyway lifes too short to get steamed up.

Do you know anyone who hires Subaru then we can have even more fun!!!
Old 25 February 2000, 11:32 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Phil,

You could try
Old 25 February 2000, 11:40 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Yeah but they will all bitch about the tyre wear!!

I think Scooby Sport need to have their products demonstrated at these track days. Either I can get work with them or its back to Hertz for the usual 'rep mobile!

Old 25 February 2000, 11:46 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Get the longest wheel base thing you can get.........I'd love to hear how you get on......plus tips on how to avoid those full opposite lock moments....you know the ones where you view the direction your travelling through your side windoww

laters

fris
Old 26 February 2000, 09:01 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Cool

Frisby ( note Smiley )

Read it again. Phil did quote me saying which Track Day I was talking about.

I was just relaying my experiences from 1998 and wanted to ensure everybody understood.

That particular track day was well organsied and well driven ( like the one Howie and Phil attended ) BUT the LTR/SIDC one had quite a few cars pranged including a 22B and an STi due to 'over eager drivers' not playing themselves in to the track.

Phil not stressed ( was a tad under the influence ) but no harm done.
Old 26 February 2000, 09:23 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cool

Phil.
I think PC does a more than adequate job of promoting Scoobysport's products at track days already....along with the other several thousand such-equipped cars!!!!

Stef.
PS You can put your trumpet down now!