Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

USA spec STi destroys the P1/TypeR/RA myth, IM Wake up!

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 01:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

The new American spec STi has the superb DCCD (driver controlled center differential) as installed in the TypeR/RA Impreza range of cars. Yes it now has an auto switch, which selects the % torque split depending on conditions, but it also has the manual override that is effectively what the original DCCD has. Forget the 2.5T engine, that’s just been designed to give them lazy low down torque to suit USA tastes, the significant thing with this car is the DCCD being installed as standard fit.

Now do you doubters believe me, that the DCCD fitted to the STi TypeR/RA isn’t such an animal to drive? I mean, they have given it to the Americans, no disrespect, but they as a nation suck *** as drivers in general. All it’s needs is an understanding of how to use it with a purely manual setup. The new version has an auto option to take that need for using ones brain away but the fundamentals are the same.

Does this kill the myth once and for all that the P1 is the best ever Impreza? I think it does.

Wake up IM for god’s sake and give us the DCCD on the UK spec STi, you now have NO excuses left to not do so!

Discuss.
Old 07 January 2003, 01:56 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MY will be interesting
Old 07 January 2003, 01:59 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

I've already had my guess, waiting to batch up changes (or I can wish!) 2.5, DCCD, new facelift for MY05 and eu type approval again
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Like I said would it not be worthwhile petitioning IM to bring the DCCD version to the UK. I'm not arsed by the twin scroll, but I want DCCD badly, and you wont see me upgrade to an sti8 without it.
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Bearing in mind that US drivers are used to powerful, evil handling, rear wheel drive cars that spin at the drop of a hat, it's probably not much a risk for FHI
Old 07 January 2003, 02:01 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
From what I hear there are already a lot of crashed and bashed WRX's stateside.
Old 07 January 2003, 02:04 PM
kevvwil
Scooby Regular

Right in every instance John, especially about U.S. drivers. I suspect that you lads will be getting the same STi that we're getting, next model year. It might be good to be second in line anyhow, for a fully de-bugged version of the car. Don't forget, the 2.5l-T is still new, not tried and true like the 2.0 motor.

Apparently, you can even adjust DCCD on the fly. Trust me, there are going to be accidents related to improper use of this system by U.S. STi owners.

Think of us as beta testers for you all...

Kevin
Old 07 January 2003, 02:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

do you have a link to that thread? I think the yanks will want to read it.
Old 07 January 2003, 02:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

It's OK, i found it

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=143750

I think i hadnt had enough coffee with one of my replies to Adam in there. sorry mate. LOL
Old 07 January 2003, 02:43 PM
PsychO
Scooby Regular

QUOTE = "Americans, no disrespect, but they as a nation suck *** as drivers in general"

John, your absolutely RIGHT on that part. For having seem many times with my own eyes the "talent" of our American neighbour, they truely are "KING OF THE ROADS".
Old 07 January 2003, 03:12 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
(Rant mode on)
And the lucky gits get DCCD with ABS!

Wake up IM we as keen subaru followers deserve this! (rant mode off)

Having the option at least of Twin Scroll turbo, DCCD with ABS or 2.5 litre engine even at a an extra cost.
Bringing in this model whether 2.0 or 2.5 would boost sales dramatically and would bring the brand and model back to being one of the great cars the MY94 - 00 use to be.

Mel.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:02 PM
Hooley
Scooby Regular

Question - Why do the US get the 2.5??

Answer - Because the world rally scene is only applicable to the rest of the world - the US do not follow this series, therefore they do not 'have' to sell a rally replica. They are not tied to the 2.0 litre engine as specified in the rules of WRC.

FHI have just gone out to create a 'real-world' drivers car, not a souvenier of the WRC success (well, they had a bit). Sales of Impreza's in UK and Europe get the benefit of the millions ploughed in to WRC, and buyers are therefore offered the 'real-thing'. In the US they will just plough the millions into advertising of a more direct sort.

Just a thought

Hooley
Old 07 January 2003, 04:07 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Hooley, that is so far off the mark it's funny.

WRC is well followed in the USA, Subaru Of America even sponsor the SCCA Pro rally series and have a works prodrive team running in that.

It has absolutely nothing to do with rally car engine sizes.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:28 PM
Porter
Scooby Newbie

John, I have to laugh at your suggestion that the 2.5L motor is only included to pacify our torque-induced laziness.

Have you ever ridden in a tuned EJ25 turbo? I have. I've driven one.

I've also ridden in a highly modified STi v5 Tommy Kaira edition owned by Pete Holt.

The EJ25 turbo eats it for breakfast. There is so much torque throughout the rev band that it's literally shocking. I will go so far to say that the EJ25 STi is a far superior car to even the 22B. The 22B was all about torque... this is the same, only more so. Massive torque throughout the rev band.

Four wheel burnouts will be an easy reality on dry pavement. I remember driving Nick Catalfamo's turbo'd 2.5RS when it wasn't even fully tuned yet, and on Potenza RE730s I was able to break all four wheels loose on a roll at 15mph using PARTIAL THROTTLE. Will it be as accomplished as a track performer? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on how the gearing works out. But it will be devastating on the B roads.

I'll also add that I agree many US drivers shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel... but don't lump us all together into that basket. I know I've seen quite a bit of idiocy on UK roads in the time that I've spent there too. The STi 2.5 is a driver's car that will be bought primarily by people who have SOME idea of how to drive one. It's not going to be an appealing product to the problem demographic... and those who would drive it abusively probably can't afford it.

Just my $0.02. I'm sorry you guys didn't get the EJ25... it is a beast of a motor. My company is about to release a centrifugal (Rotrex) supercharger kit for the previous NA EJ25. It should be making 270-300hp on less than 10psi. That in itself gives you an idea of the kind of output the EJ25 motor is capable of, even without all the STi forged bits.

Look to the 2004 model year! I'm guessing you will have the 2.5L motor as well then. We always had to wait a full model year to get the current car... now the rest of the world does. Sorry it seems like the shoe is on the other foot now, but FHI is an unpredictable beast it seems!

-Jason Porter
Greenville, SC USA
1994 Alcyone SVX LSi AWD

[Edited by Porter - 1/7/2003 4:41:44 PM]

[Edited by Porter - 1/7/2003 4:46:16 PM]
Old 07 January 2003, 04:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Oh want to see the reply to this one i think that John may win it

Tony
Old 07 January 2003, 04:49 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

When will the STi be available in US (I mean cars from the stealer)?
I guess JDM will have that engine mid-year, when the new Legacy comes out.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:53 PM
Porter
Scooby Newbie

The restyled 2.0L WRX and RS/TS/OBS will be available in May, the 2.5 STi will not be shipping until the summer.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:01 PM
HardcoreSax
Scooby Newbie

Porter the Supercharged Scooby sounds very interesting.

I have a Rotrex S/30-74 Supercharger on a 1.6 8v running around 8.5 psi with a compression ratio of 9.6:1 and its currently produces around 215bhp (On 95 ron fuel with the timing heavily retarded).

I would also imagin its a lot easier fitting the s/c to a car with an ECU that is programmed to run at boost rather than vaccum. Personally I prefer the S/C over turbos because of the way it delivers its power, it is far more controlled and progressive.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:17 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
don't want to spoil the party but I think the 2.5 will never reach this country / europe as the 2.0 will be needed for homologation for grp N rallying..
Old 07 January 2003, 05:19 PM
Porter
Scooby Newbie

Yes, we're very excited about it. It will be 7psi on the standard 2.5L running stock 10:1 compression. The unit gets bolted back on the car tonight, then the tuning begins. If all goes well we'll be swapping pullies and testing at 8 and then 10psi.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:29 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Ah but the only car homologated for rallying is the RA and that doesn't come to Europe either
Old 07 January 2003, 06:25 PM
Oldnslow
Scooby Newbie

I detect a certain amount of anger/envy over the fact the U.S. got a world beater STI. Yes, we have a lot of lousy drivers over here, but we also have a lot of serious enthusiasts, especially those intested in the WRX/STI and the rally scene. It's really big in the Northwest, where our weather is unpredictable--kinda like the U.K. A few months ago we had about 75 WRXs, many highly modified, at the Portland, Oregon track, with folks learning how to drive at speed. While I think in general European drivers(not to mention racers) are superior to the typical American, the folks that will buy the STI I expect are a pretty dedicated group, more so than a lot of the well-heeled people who buy Porsches and BMWs. These cars just tend to attract the hard core enthusiast, which is great.
Old 07 January 2003, 06:53 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy

IMHO This will be another nail in the coffin for the UK dealers the STi8UK a revamped STi7 and not the JDM STi8 UK version

So this year if I was to buy new, would have to be JDM or wait for 2004 Sh4te end of the Stick again for the UK. How much is a Mitzy!!!!!

Tony

Ps I might be a cr4p UK driver but might be able to learn how the DCCD works (in a couple of years or so )
Old 07 January 2003, 07:00 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

I think the anger is due to the high prices + lack of unique features on the car. If IM sells the JDM STi with DCCD & twin-scroll at the same price as the UK car, then not many ppl will complain.
Old 07 January 2003, 07:11 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Whats the big deal? The Japs will probably get the 2.5L and then those that really want one(inc me) can buy JDM.IMHO this will take the marque of supercar STi back into a small enthusiasts niche,which is where I would like it to be.
Old 07 January 2003, 07:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

IMHO this will take the marque of supercar STi back into a small enthusiasts niche,which is where I would like it to be.
Why?

To me this comes across as elitist. This is exactly why I dislike the attitude of your typical BMW driver who because they own a car with a badge thinks they are better than other people.

Please correct me if I am wrong
Old 07 January 2003, 07:49 PM
monovich
Scooby Newbie

Seems like allot of sour grapes around here to me. We in the US have been waiting a long time for a great car like this to arrive. Almost every other market in the world has had an STi for YEARS, and we FINALLY get one.

The fact that this car has been released with such great specs doesn't make your existing cars any worse, they remain awesome! I don't doubt you'll have access to these cars in the not-too-distant future, in the mean time, you can keep enjoying the great stuff that you already have.

I somewhat understand the need to gripe, but what about a friendly "good for you" instead of all the nationalistic condescending remarks about the US and it's drivers. We're all gearheads, right?

just a thought,

Steve
Old 07 January 2003, 08:18 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have to understand there's already sour grapes because the UK cars have been inferior to their jap cousins from the beginning.

The independant jap import business is a big one in the UK, getting bigger
Old 07 January 2003, 08:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah but the only car homologated for rallying is the RA and that doesn't come to Europe either
:smug_look:

Okay time for some simple maths or math is it .

So just forget how many horses it has under the bonnet it means nothing if the car weighes too much. So how good is this STIs all important power to weight ?.

For comparison purposes and becuase I know the figures off the top of my head

MY00 RA V-ltd = 1240kgs and 276bhp (on good fuel ) = 225bhp/ton

MY04 US WRX STI

If its 1500kgs and 300bhp = 202bhp/ton

If its 1450kgs and 300bhp = 209bhp/ton

If its 1400kgs and 300bhp = 216bhp/ton

So assuming it 1450kgs just how many horses woudl it need to match a crappy old RA .
Answer about 325bhp "Just" to draw level .

Forget your 6 speed box argument RA has low ratios as well .

Weight is the enemy of any sports car .

Anyone know when a 400bhp version is coming to the UK .

Old 07 January 2003, 08:44 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

325 bhp on a 2.5 litre will be a joke.....how about 350 bhp....come on guys, its obvious the tunning capability of the 2.5 litre will be far superior to the 2.0 litre....displacement is displacement (of course this is assuming the engine is strong relative to a 2.0 litre)...... 2.5 litre vs. 2 litres = less boost to achieve the same bhp and torque....why are Skylines and the 22B superior ??????? Face the facts, the USA STI will be the best imprezza to date ever...move over 22B, RA's, P1 etc etc ...

No I am not biased as I will not be able to get the USA version either....will be way too much money to import compared to my JDM STI-7.

[Edited by Razor2001 - 1/7/2003 8:47:07 PM]

[Edited by Razor2001 - 1/7/2003 8:48:50 PM]

Quick Reply: USA spec STi destroys the P1/TypeR/RA myth, IM Wake up!