Sponsored by:

Was the STi7 just Subarus big mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 08:37 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

It seems that way.In terms of looks Subaru had already decided within a few months that it was a no goer and hence signed off the aesthetic revisions.
The power band of the car is next to useless(JDM that is,UK even worse).Nowhere as close as good as the outgoing STi,hence the twin scroll turbo on the new one.
Increasing reports of engine failures again with the STi7 seems to have spooked them to 'uprate' some internals on the MY03(JDM only)
Inherent major rear rattling problems with JDM and UK STi7s which is still unresolved.
Why did I buy this car? I'm not quite sure.It seems Subaru has created an underclass of those who bought the STi7.
Old 11 December 2002, 09:32 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Deep,

I kinda like mine nothings perfect unless it's a S202 or 22B

Prodrive STi7 PPP'd limited Edition Bugeye

Tony

Ps The new generations just LOVE the bug eye STi because they relate to it as a rally car and would think the 22B an "old" sort Unfortunately the 90% of peeps at Margan park were all wearing SUBARU gear but the new generations won't be able to buy/insure one in the next 10/15 years. IMHO
Old 11 December 2002, 09:36 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Deep, so why did you buy it then?

Dan
Old 11 December 2002, 09:50 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mistake?

6 speed b'box
40mm wider track
uprated injectors (for the modding freaks)
improved engine internals (allegedly)
Reduced cabin noise
Looks great from behind
More refined interior/comfort

Not all bad I would say. I quite fancy a 202 or even just a spec C car.

Paul

Old 11 December 2002, 11:12 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Perfectly happy with mine,
There are were none left after 6 months.......That certainly couldn't be said about the P1. (Although I am sure this was a pricing issue)

And all new STIs will have a front end more like the prodrive style type UK.
Old 11 December 2002, 11:34 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Deep,

Power band issues are well known and can now be sorted via various routes. As for aesthetic design, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Having owned a pre-bug eye wagon and now an STi7, for me there is absolutely no contest; the new car is head and shoulders above the old one in virtually every respect.

As for engines blowing up, etc, I know of only one STi7 that has had this happen (someone on this board, IIRC). Its not clear whether the car had ben modified or not and if so, to what extent.

The word on the streets is that solid items like the diffs and gearbox are good for circa 350bhp. Doesn't sound fragile to me.

I have to be honest, if you are deeply unhappy with yours you should get rid. Nothing spoils the fun of driving more than being in a car that you dislike.

Cheers

WB @ Xmas
Old 11 December 2002, 11:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Deep,

I like mine and have had zero issues with it. It walks all over my MY00 UK car in all departments On the styling front, you don't expect Subaru to stop selling the Bug Eye before they can release/supply the Blob Eye do you? Just because we have heard of a few STi 7's going pop, it doesn't mean they are inherently weak - there must be at least several hundred in the UK and several thousand in the world and we have heard (to my knowledge) of 3 or 4 going bang. There are probably more but it doesn't seem like a bad ratio to me!

Ta,

Matt
Old 12 December 2002, 12:30 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Question

Evo actually rate the STi7 (JDM version) to be quicker to 100 mph than the P1 so all i think it is, is that the STi7 is more refined and gives less of a feeling that its quick (which it is ) over the classic shaped scoobs.

Tony
Old 12 December 2002, 12:40 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

A mistake? Yeah sure, and Newcastle Utd regret buying Alan Shearer too... ;-) lol
Old 12 December 2002, 12:55 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
it isnt faster than a Classic STi tony, like for like please.

I like the STi7, but it feels slow to me compared to the STi5 RA i drive. I really need a go in an STi7 type RA spec C to do a fair comparison though.

It is a more mature car, i dont see it as a mistake, very much the oposite, it's been a great success. I think all WRX's should have the performance of the STi7, and all STi7's have the performance of the PPP version though.
Old 12 December 2002, 01:15 AM
t888-sti7
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I am wrong. Did a bugeye car win the 2001 WRC. Nuff said.
Old 12 December 2002, 03:27 AM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

..... probably it won the WRC but on the GROUP N class, which is the closest to our street cars, it has not been upto the job. It was supposed to be the evo - killer machine, and IIRC the only WRC round won with a STi ver 7 on the N4 class was on Australia.
Not only that, but after modifications were allowed to use a dog box gearbox, the "old" GC8 WRX has been more competitive than ever. On the UK rally championship David Higgins won the N4 class using a STi ver 5 (IIRC), on the australian rally championship the best privateer were the SIMONS using, again a STi ver 4 (with ver 5 aerodynamic package) and has been on the pace of the official Subaru Team Australia's new age STi's with less budget.
Not that I don't like the new age WRX, don't get me wrong, but I think that the best we will see from this new chassis will probably come in the STi ver 9 or 10 ..... right now it is just not upto the job, at least not on the N4 rally field. We'll see how the STi ver 8 with a much better powerband performs when it's homologation starts, that is on May 2003.

Old 12 December 2002, 07:00 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Smile

John does an STi 7 seem faster than your Sport that you had before?

I think its due to the Fandango noggin in the lithometer of the numb nutzen in the Sti 7 that you drove.

My mate had a harrier jump jet (as a pub plane) and I reckon that would struggle to stay with your RA.
Surprised the Subaru rally team just don't borrow your car for next year they're bound to win then.

Jas
Old 12 December 2002, 07:28 AM
ROBO
Scooby Regular

Smile

Still in love with mine, must be easily pleased.
Old 12 December 2002, 08:29 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Wink

I love mine, great car and doesnt cost me a fortune to run. It's absolutely magic. Strange thing is I dont think the looks are a problem.
Other thing is I don't drive anyone else's scooby, so don't get the negative feeling that follows that. Everything thats different feels better for a start, like a new g/f for instance.
I'll get my coat..
Old 12 December 2002, 08:52 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

John/

As you said, you can't compare an STI-7 with or without PPP to your RA as it's a different car. The RA is supposed to be a stripped down version for rallying/motorsport etc. The 7 a fast, comfortable all purpose car. Would you compare an EVO 6 RS with an EVO7 GSR?

/John

One of the reasons why some people don't buy Evo's is because they are too 'extreme'(for them) for road use. If Subaru had designed the STI-7 to compete with the EVO, in terms of 'extremeness' then they would have lost out, because for ***** out seat of the pants driving the EVO has it sewn up(IMHO).

So instead they designed the car to appeal to a wider audience, those who like rally bred performance, but like a great degree of comfort, practicality and lower running costs.

The fact that there are now no new STI 7 in the UK must make it a successful car. Some Impreza versions took nearly 18 months to sell out(the P1 for example - Great car, poor price point).

As for depreciation What car Magazine has the STI7 to retain 53% of it's value after 4 years, that's not bad going.

It also seems as though we in the UK won't get the uprated new model, with the twin scroll etc etc, so the benefits from going from STI7 to STI8 type UK are marginal. To be honest I don't like the look of the new one too much, the lights are too 'blobby' and the scoop too big.

The Mk1 shape was very unusual for being left pretty much alone for nearly 9 years, the modern markets demand cosmetic changes almost every 2-3 years. So I expect the next change to be around the MY05/06 mark(probably penned by that Alfa Romeo bloke).

Going back to the STI 7. It does exactly what Subaru wanted it to, it sold out very quickly, won some awards(TG best drivers car for example) and in PPP form is every bit as quick(if not more so) than the previous models. The world has moved on from the 1990's when the Mk1 WRX's And STI's were made, so maybe we should too?

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 12/12/2002 9:07:13 AM]
Old 12 December 2002, 09:26 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

lol at sideways is the portcullis pub plane
Old 12 December 2002, 09:29 AM
Road-rash
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

STi7 only 2 words to say about this car SPOT ON.
Old 12 December 2002, 09:36 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Please keep knocking the Bugeye, Drive the price down, then when I go looking next year I should be able to get a good one for the right price. I actually like it with the morettes or some of the Jap mods. Looks like a case of sit on the fence until a couple of months after the 8 comes out & then buy. Should prove a good basis for a project
I have been told, dont know how true it is, but in Japan some are already down to the price of the STI 5 & 6 so cheap Imports should also be coming our way. Is it a case of buy & cheap 7 & then put 8 bonnet & wings on it, now theres a thought
Old 12 December 2002, 09:43 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol, this thread is great....Loads of people biting!!!

I drove a STi6 RA V limited the other day and wasn't that impressed with it to be really honest. I have a semi mod'ed RB5 WR and to be fair there wasn't / isn't a lot in it.

The diff controls were great, if only I understood it. Had the dash board display on the bottom setting, green ? (90 / 10 split to the rear I think) and coming off a roundabout in the wet, as soon as I squeezed the throttle, the car was snaking up the road. Almost a proper tank slapper. Did the same two minutes later in my RB5 and went around the roundabout and exited nearly 20 MPH faster. I like rear wheel drive cars, I had a RS2000 (and still got it) and love going sideways, but was more than a little concerned!!

I was seriously considering selling the RB5 and buying the Ultimate STi6 RA, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it....

Lol, Sideways your mates harrier might be fast, but I bet a sign written TW transit would be faster

Cheers Phill C
Old 12 December 2002, 09:45 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Despite my inherant bad luck I really like the car.
Just would like to own one for more than a week.
Old 12 December 2002, 10:08 AM
uksti
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just had my STi P/Drive PPP'd and it now sounds bubbly, pulls better and still makes me smile. It replaced a classic which was great fun but a really different drive. The STi is a challenge to one's driving style and to how much you trust your vehicle.

I also installed a sub-woofer in the boot so perhaps that harmonically cancels the rattles !

Incidentally my dealer has an STi in his showroom at 25,995 pre-registered. I was told there were 750 Sti imported this year into UK so this is a rare breed.
Old 12 December 2002, 10:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,
im not comparing the STi7 (JDM version) against your little monster im comparing it against a P1 which as the STi7 (JDM) which benefits from the closer gear ratios over the older STi's making it quicker even though its heavier.
Now, STi type RA V-Ltd's v any other scoob..... i think that in standard form any scoob would struggle to keep up with one of these (except other type RA's) as the close ratio gearbox keeps you in the power better (like the STi7 does ) and i would only say that its a car for "experienced" drivers and not for your everyday scoob owner. (i also would say that the V-ltds are a better handling and more balanced car all round than most other scoobs too )

Tony
Old 12 December 2002, 10:29 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Talking

I like my STi7, though I am sure after I have been in Numptie's I will be wanting the PPP, or maybe just a back box and remap.

But like I say I like my car !
Old 12 December 2002, 10:31 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

Far as i know the type R i had was a 64% 36% split between the front and the rear, biased to the rear, not 90% 10%. Says that in my sti handbook.
Old 12 December 2002, 10:37 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

scoobynutta555,

I'm not sure what the bias was between the front and the rear, but I didn't like it I'm sure I would get used to it eventually.

Has anyone got an electronic copy of the diff manuals ??

Cheers Phill C

PS I'm not sure I agree that the RA is a beast
Old 12 December 2002, 11:02 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I love the STi 7 Bugeye. Its very fast and looks aggressive. Only critism would be it makes my **** jump on bumpy roads, but hey who cares.

Jas
Old 12 December 2002, 11:13 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I thought his might get you guys biting.
I must say though the 'its better than my UK prebugeye' arguement does not make sense as you are comparing two different entities.Must compare STi with STi.Yes the 7 is more comfortable,better put together but this is meant to be a drivers car!! The 0-60/100 etc times of this car are not bad at all given the extra weight,but I repeat again the useless power band of this car makes it no fun at all to drive on every day roads.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:15 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah,to say its great because its got a wider track and a 6 speed box make no sense to me.How has this increased the excitement of the drive,answer not at all!!
Old 12 December 2002, 11:52 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

I disagree Deep. I find my STi7 to be much more fun to drive than my previous MY00 turbo. After you've got used to it, you just automatically know how to keep it in the power band, and it is one quick car. Driving to / from work down the country lanes and the M4, I'm always limited by the speed of the other traffic rather than the car I'm driving.

As for town driving, she is a bit sluggish when pulling away into traffic (as we all know), but the PPP will sort that out....

Cheers,
Iain

Quick Reply: Was the STi7 just Subarus big mistake?