Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage takes P1 for 10 mile joyride

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 07:41 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 miles a 100 miles,what's the difference?If they don't have a good reason for driving it(I don't count having a thrash in it as one)then it's TWOCing.
I've never had tyres bedded in by the fitters before(10 miles wouldn't do it anyway),it's something you expect to do yourself and the garage/tyrefitters are usually too busy anyway.
I don't think you're overreacting and taking the picture beforehand just shows you've paid heed to similar threads to this one before.When I leave my car in the care of a garage,I make it clear that I don't want it driven-it's not there for their fun but to have work done on it.
To anyone who doesn't want their pride and joy driven by anyone other than whom they chose then as has been suggested before,put a note on the speedo stating this and the mileage.

[Edited by skiddus_markus - 12/11/2002 7:42:46 PM]
Old 11 December 2002, 06:37 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Angry

I took my car in to get new tires because mine had been recalled. Picked the car up today and it has 10 extra miles on the clock. Not unusual? Well the garage never had the equiment to do 18" wheels so the wheels had to be sent off Hmmm. They have done exactly 10 miles to cover up this but I have a digital camera and I have before and after shots, so will be speaking to them tomorrow. Can they get away with this? No doubt in these 10 miles with no wheels they have been hammering it and topped up the petrol probably with unleaded ****e!!

Can anyone help before I speak to them tomorrow. May post pics and name garage if they don't sort something (Like maybe doing my stonechip quote for nothing )

Thanks
Old 11 December 2002, 06:47 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Question

Can't anyone help? Does anyone have contact details for Subaru UK?

Thanks

J
Old 11 December 2002, 06:50 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

chances are they have taken the car round to someone who does have the equipment.can't see a dealer removing the wheels in their garage and shipping them away leaving car immobile and in a service bay.
Old 11 December 2002, 06:53 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

No. I had to drop up the locking wheel nuts so the bloke could take the wheels away. According to them the car didn't go anywhere but the wheels did. The nearest place that could do the wheels was way more than 10 miles away because I was willing to wait. This is why they gave me a courtesy car for 3 days.
Old 11 December 2002, 06:53 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

You obviously suspected this would happen as you took a picture before. Is fuel consumption really that bad on P1 that they would have topped it up (probably with Tesco Value 91 RON Unleaded) after a brief 10 mile joy ride?
I'd call the police first, although they might have been scrubbing the new tyres in for you to make it safer.
Old 11 December 2002, 06:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

See if they sent the car away to have the tracking done, its possible due to having new alloys/tyres fitted.

Tony
Old 11 December 2002, 06:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

agree with turboboost they probably gave it a run 5 miles out and then 5 miles back to check for inbalance and to bed the tyres in.
but why did you feel it necessary to photo the mileage if you don't trust them take it else where
Old 11 December 2002, 07:01 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. The car wasn't supposed to go anywhere and they have a garage there to do tracking someone obviously is taking the p1ss.
Old 11 December 2002, 07:01 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

OMG not 10 miles. Surely this is scandalous. I'm going to faint!!!

Where there's blame there's a claim. Contact my mate Keiffer at Whiplash Direct as he should be able to sort you out with some compensation. charges 80 quid an hour but don't worry his interview is only 4 hrs long and he throws in a Fish Supper. what a guy.
Old 11 December 2002, 07:04 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Ha ha. Its not a worry about the petrol but I am sure they never took my car for a gentle ride to sample its comfortable ride. It would have been hammered!!!!
Old 11 December 2002, 07:13 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Let's be honest, it's not the end of the world is it? Who is going to seem more ridiculous, them for taking the car for a spin, or you for taking pictures of the before and after mileage!!!!
Old 11 December 2002, 07:18 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I don't agree 10 miles is quite a distance really....I think they are taking the **** a bit and would put in a formal complaint and never take your car back there....Who knows how they drove it ?
Old 11 December 2002, 07:22 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Just thought of something else how would you feel if you were tootling along and some pimply faced youth came hairing past in your pride and joy ? "Wearing the tyres in for you"
Old 11 December 2002, 08:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

im just waiting for someone from this thread, http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=153309&Page=1 to pop up on this one moaning about abuse of peoples property.

you better hope your P1 wasnt tested by ppl with the attitude of some SN'ers!

T
Old 11 December 2002, 08:44 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Thumbs down

Pet hate this one, sadly. IMO i can not see why they have to take a car out for a test drive when they "just" change the tyres. This happend to me with my 1st scoob, only the mileage was alot more, they were spotted at silly speeds(well into 3 figures), and used ALOT of fuel. My wife spotted it, not me.

Its just i went mental. I dont mind them test driving it when being serviced etc, if it need to be, eg why test drive when you just do an oil change?, but when there is no CLEAR reson then sorry, but they are TWOCing IMO. They were specifically requested to change the tyres, not take on a test drive.

Just my 2p
Old 11 December 2002, 08:53 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
put my car in friends garage for abs prob and fit new spoiler, hes already told me my car does over 150mph as he found out when testing the car, is this the sort of thing you want to hear. hope theres some petrol left in as id just put £20 in the tank.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:58 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Tell them you've received a summons for speeding dated/timed whilst in their care and see the blood drain from their face.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:58 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Angry

i agree with skiddus. 'test drive this', 'test drive that'......f*ck off. i will NEVER EVER leave my beloved mota with another one of these f*cking animals again. if they cant do it while i wait, they cant do it.
Old 11 December 2002, 09:29 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

stevebt, and thats a friend, and you had an abs problem(you only jnust got that sorted?)
Old 11 December 2002, 09:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I recommend sniffing the back seat for semen!!
Honestly though, if a garage told me my car could do 150 mph beacause they've tried it I'd hit the fecking roof!!
Old 11 December 2002, 09:44 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Play it cool. Ask questions first, shoot afterwards. Don't get wound up by the angry peeps on SN who've had bad experiences! There's nothing worse than having to apologise for Paranoia

Phil
Old 11 December 2002, 09:56 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

my back seat already reeks of semen and ***** juice. Fecked the receptionist in it last week.

Now THATs what I call a test ride!
Old 11 December 2002, 09:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
steven its still not fixed have to put in dealers think a wire has been damaged when they installed the tracker as they cut pretty near all the wiring, as its not the sensors
Old 11 December 2002, 11:00 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I used to work in a garage in the centre of Harrogate, our test drives could be around 10 to 15 miles simply because you can't get up to speed around town, wheel balance being a prime example! How many times have you noticed wheel wobble under 30mph against 40mph and above?

I must admit I used to prefer taking the "nicer" cars but I'd still take the sh*tters too. My feeling with the quicker cars was that they'd been bought by "drivers", so to speak and were tested as such, within reason.

I'm no longer in the motor trade because I'm sick of whiny arsed customers who know far more about cars than I do
Old 12 December 2002, 08:01 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Personaly like guy said earlier 10 miles or 100 they shouldnt do it full STOP. If it where me heads would roll to head office if they have one. They havent driven it socialy have they so go and find out which little sxxt had worked on it. Thats my opinion
Old 12 December 2002, 08:33 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

lol @ skiddus

top idea to put the wind up 'em!

i think that any "test drive" of this nature is bang out of order. you know that the spotty youth driving will brag to his mates about caining your motor too?

probably cained from cold, and unless you have a turbo timer probably not idled either.

that would pi55 me off!

weava
Old 12 December 2002, 08:35 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

As long as my car is not harmed or hundreds of miles put on, I really couldn't give a toss!
Old 12 December 2002, 08:42 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well lets hope they let the car warm up before rinsing it and also let it idle for a minute before turning it off.
Old 12 December 2002, 09:02 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Red face

That would **** me right off as well that's why I changed dealerships, because one of them took my car for a joyride after an oil service for ***** sake!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Garage takes P1 for 10 mile joyride