Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Recomendations for WRX Importers in S England

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 1999, 12:17 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recomend a good importer in the south east of england? I am based in London and have got a Turbo on order for May ish delivery - but realise that the WRX is so much more of a car than the UK spec. So need to look at how long it would take to get one over to this country etc. Any advice welcome.
Old 15 February 1999, 12:26 AM
tel
Scooby Regular

You could try Lockyear Cars (www.lockyear.co.uk) in Horsham where youcan arrange a test drive etc.
Old 15 February 1999, 02:05 PM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Or even www.lockyear-cars.co.uk
Old 15 February 1999, 08:17 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Also try Park Lane in Alton, Hampshire - depending where you live in London - of the M3.

Loads of cars in stock, including a 22B for 41K and a brand new STi IV Type R for 25K. They also have second hand cars, including an Evo V and other beasts such as the twin turbo Supra and various uber-Legacys.

They also have a web site but is is rubbish and way out of date. I think they are related to Lockyear as there are lots of cars with Lockyear plates on them wandering around.

Cheers,

David

PS Email me if you want to know more
Old 17 May 1999, 04:36 PM
Stephen Cole
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a good Import dealer that surprisingly doesn't seem to be known about.

Japatrans
Dorking
01306 886728

www.japatrans.com

I found them very friendly, knowledgable and easy to deal with, with realistically priced cars
Will do no-quibble test drives to potential customers
(I test drove a WRX and an STi II)

Have approx 5 or 6 Impreza Turbos (WRX and STi)
eg 96 N Reg STi 2 wagen, 30k miles, 16990 pounds

Have Skylines and Evo's too, plus GTO's and lots of 4x4's

I fact I've just bought a WRX from them!
(more feedback in a few weeks if things go well or if they turn sour...)

Stephen
Just bought a late '96, P Reg WRX 5 door (Wagon)

PS Please let me know if anyone has had any problems with them !
Old 19 May 1999, 11:35 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a WRX 2 months ago from DELTA motor company in Normandy near Guildford, it was in a totally mint condition. They let me test drive it and I was sold in 1/2 an hour. They give a years warranty (even covers the turbo) and they service them and have loads of spares. Ive been back for a 3k oil change and they are brilliant. They have loads of Jap imports and a mint Skyline for 25k
tel:01483 235975
you wont be disappointed !!
Dan
ps think of the cash you will save buying a WRX
Old 19 May 1999, 02:55 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, Lockyears used to be official uk dealers, but lost franchise due to 'importing' WRX etc. (I heard) Expect to pay top whack there, all their cars are way overpriced from what I saw. eg 95 turbo 'N'Gold STI wheels, ancient 'British Rail' type seats for £17K, also 95 Series McRae 51K miles for £17450...front end stone chipped like it had been shot blasted.
STi V3 for 25K (yes V3) a new V5 can be got for that,but V5 there will cost you 29K.

Has anyone sucessfully imported from Holland yet, I was quoted about £15K for a new 99MY in UK Spec (with Gold wheels and a/c) from over there, (less UK vat and Duty @ about 4K), good saving yes, but will Subaru really deliver??
Old 19 May 1999, 08:34 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

I can reccomend Park Lane at Alton.
Email me if you want to know more. We will have a chat.
Old 19 May 1999, 09:49 PM
Regman
Scooby Newbie

I was quoted the same figure for a MY99 from Holland (£12k+VAT)for RHD complete UK spec.

The dealer seemed to know the score about export/import documents etc. He says he has taken a number of orders and I should expect delivery in 6months (with a 50% deposit).

As Showtime says, "Has anyone actually received their cars yet??"
Old 20 May 1999, 02:29 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Regman,

I too had convincing info on buying from Holland, I even got sent a Dutch Brochure for the 'GT' Turbo. ( The dutch 'fogged' version of the UK car)I just wasn't going to hand over 50% now (by bank TT - no credit cards accepted)and the rest before I even saw the car...too big a risk for me. I heard subsequently that Subaru Japan ' would not' supply RHD to european dealer network.
Old 22 September 1999, 09:51 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

another place to try is Japnsave in Dorking on 01306 887588.

They have supplied a number of Supras to our club and if you say that UK Supras recommended them they should give you a 3 year warranty on any car you purchase. Lots of Imprezas to choose from, normally about 10-15 in the warehouse but I couldnt tell you what they are.

Give them a call and ask for Simon or Bryan and dont forget to mention UK Supras.
Old 23 September 1999, 09:09 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

I can recommend DRS Car Sales
Old 21 February 2000, 12:36 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

I would thoroughly recommend staying away from Japatrans or whatever they are calling themselves this week. My friend was buying a car from them on the recommendation of some one else, and they have got to be the most useless git I have ever come across. If you want to chat on it off line no worries, but steer well clear, bunch of idiots...
Old 21 February 2000, 11:32 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had some issues with Japatrans, send me a mail if you want to hear more specific details

[This message has been edited by Greg Jones (edited 11-04-2000).]
Old 21 February 2000, 11:57 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm interesting tale.

I can heartily recommend dennis at DRS, a thoroughly nice bloke and performance car enthusiast.

Park Lane i can also recommend after having to buy bits off them etc.

Lockyear i use for servicing and are very good, though i wasnt impressed with the doddery old salesman who booked two test drives and let me down with both.

I ended up getting my sti 5 from japatrans aka lifestyle vehicles in dorking.
(japatrans was a company previous to lifestyle - no real connection other than premesies).
I foudn them to be a little 'keen' in the selling stakes (just like currys or dixons) but speak to the right people and they are ok. A salesman called Simon was very helpful and a nice bloke. Kevin and Brian own the place (kiwis) and i'm sure they would love to hear whats upset you, if you dont want to say, mail me and ill let them know.
(mines in getting the aircon fixed - picking it up today).

As for the Lockyear - park lane connection. The son of Lockyear cars (who used to work at the subaru dealer - called sean lockyear) now works at Park lane as the sales manager - hence the connection and them working together. Plus park lane do sva's for a lot of dealers in the south (mine went there from dorking).

I personally had a very large falling out with mr lockyear over a 16v golf gti quite a few years ago, was sold with blown headgasket then rather than repair it, they tried to put a second hand lump in and send me home saying it was fixed.
Old 21 February 2000, 10:14 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A friend of mine was interested in some of the cars at Park Lane and wanted to make an appointment to test drive an STi iv but the sales guys made 2 appointments to meet him there but they didn't turn up. My friend got the impression when speaking to them over the phone that they weren't interested in dealing with him because he wasn't the right type of customer! He originally went to make the appointment during his lunch break and arrived in overalls! He went direct to the auctions in Ireland and got one instead.
Old 22 February 2000, 08:08 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

It's no exageration to say that I've had nothing short of 7 months of HELL with Lifestyle AKA Japnsave. In fact when I think back over everything that's happened it's simply STAGGERING.

In short they're the last people on the planet I'd buy a car from.

[This message has been edited by NickM (edited 22-02-2000).]
Old 22 February 2000, 08:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Robbie,
Depends how south you want to go. If Kent is OK then you might want to talk to Graham Darragh of GDA Sports Car Imports on 01892 664212. He is a very nice bloke and is very helpful.
Old 22 February 2000, 09:32 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

OK - lets set the record straight - my original posting was over a year ago - I have bought, owned and sold my STi V Type R - I am NO Longer interested in buying a Scooby. Just to stop the importers mailing me on the fly with UCE.

Thanks
Old 22 February 2000, 10:25 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Robbie
sorry, did not mean to cause hassle! will go away and chant mantra of 'I will read the date of the first post...' until I get it into my thick head.

Old 22 February 2000, 10:32 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I think i like many others on here, have turned this post into an account of good and bad experiences with importers, rather than a reply to the original message.

At least people shopping around will get an idea what they are letting themselves in for.......
Old 22 February 2000, 08:54 PM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

OK one LAST time

Please stop mailing me with pictures of your car and of the great dealers out there - I do not want them. Do to peoples inability to read the date and clear messages posted here i have had to modify my details to remove my e-mail address.