Sponsored by:

STi7 & Ecutek Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2002, 02:48 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

This probably ought to be in Drivetrain but I want maximum visibility.

There are at least 4 of you out there who have had this upgrade. I really want to know what you think of it so far.

I am more than happy to take this offline and converse by email if you wish, however I would value your comments. An early response would be appreciated.

Thanks

WB
Old 10 December 2002, 02:58 PM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is of interest to me as well.

I do not want to pay £2K for a PPP, or wait forever for it.

Any feed back is appreciated.
Old 10 December 2002, 03:00 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have a look in Drivetrain. There is a post in there from Paul about what he thinks of it on his STi.

Matt
Old 10 December 2002, 04:34 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Matt, just been there. Looks very encouraging, and a welcome alternative to PPP and MoTec, for those of us where warranty is not an issue.

Would be interesting to see how the system stands up to long term use, ie engine longevity, etc. Would seem Ecutek have this in mind re their safe mapping/low boost approach.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

WB at Xmas
Old 10 December 2002, 04:43 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Wacky, one comment: EcuTek is a technology, available to a few tuners. It is *brilliant* technology, and you can do wonders with it, or do a ****ty job, or somewhere in between. That is down to the "application" of the technology.

A lot will also be down on what you expect the car to do, how far you want to push it, etc.

Finally, next year, it may no longer be a discussion about "PPP vs EcuTek" as it is no longer a secret that Prodrive will be using EcuTek technology for their Subaru tuning packages. But their map/knowledge/finetuning etc will be Prodrive, not EcuTek.

Hope this distinction makes sense.
Old 10 December 2002, 05:55 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Wink

EvilB,

Been doing plenty of reading up on this one and I understand the distinction. I should have said "Feedback on Power Engineering mapping using Ecutek Flash2002". That's what happens when one posts lazily.

Now that Flash2002 is available, and as you say, Prodrive are virtually bought in, I guess the debate in the future is likely to major on the quality of mappers available to do the job (ie experience, etc) and safety of the mapping environment created for each car/application (albeit that, on a remapped standard ECU, you can access the "constant monitoring/self learning" attributes of the chip that make today's ECU's the powerful tools that they are). Hopefully Drivetrain won't become full of "my map is better than your map" debates.

Would be interesting to see if Prodrive offer aftermarket mapping outside of the IM relationship. Now with their rallying experience that would be interesting, although I am aware that rallying and fast road use are entirely different experiences, maybe requiring differing approaches to mapping.

Life is just about to get very interesting....

WB