Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: all ex hot hatchers!

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2002, 05:53 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you miss your old hot hatch after buying the Scoob? I would have loved to keep my old Clio 16v, for the fun factor. This fact never really got to me, until tonight! Brun's mother has just picked up her new Clio 172. I haven't even been out in it. I've just sat in the drivers seat, and memories came flooding back of my hot hatch of old. All that un-provoked wheel spin, with the K&N 57i soundtrack.
Ah well, back to the real world I never thought i'd want a shopping trolley over a Scoob. This is even before i start thinking about the running costs of my Jap mobile.
Old 09 December 2002, 06:00 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I used to have a clio 16v fitted in the end with a modified 2litre williams engine putting out 192 bhp. It was featured in a magazine as well.
I spent every last penny I earnt on that car, had 4 engines over three years and then one day I woke up and decided I wnated a change and thats where the scooby addiction began.

I still look longingly at other hot hatches but then I get in my car and think I must be have been mad
Old 09 December 2002, 06:01 PM
p1 tud
Scooby Regular

miss my little carb fed R5gtt too, the sound of its scorpion burbling and its rollerskate handling. ive still got it just never run it anymore, dont wanna sell it though guess im gonna have too one day.
Old 09 December 2002, 06:09 PM
JonnyT
Scooby Regular

I dont miss my Golf GTi!
It's STILL sat in my drive waiting to be tarted up and sold! Lol
Old 09 December 2002, 06:45 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I really miss my Fiat Strada Abarths. i have two 130TC and damn they were great. By far the best hot hatch I've driven and better to drive the a Golf GTi or 205GTi. I can' think of a hot hatch better that I've driven, not driven the Clio Williams . The Fiat was so different and extreme with those big twin 40 carbs and the most mental Recaros I've ever seen. Mine was mildly tuner with about 150bhp and it flew. One of the few cars to scare me with the accelrator. And the noise, wow, just a good as the Scoob with that amazing induction roar. Classic Sportscare tested the Strada, 205 and Golf in March 1999 and preferred the Strada above the others.

If I had the room I'd buy another tomorrow.

AllanB
Old 09 December 2002, 06:46 PM
King RA
BANNED

p1 tud I can totally agree m8. I absolutely loved my R5GTT, the burble of the magnex, the chuckability, dumb valve whoosh, and the general fun factor. I do miss it but then I did sell it to my mate who says I can drive it anytime (...yet I still haven't taken him up on this offer), oh well out with the old in with the new like they say.
Old 09 December 2002, 07:08 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Wink

I miss the Charade GTti just simply coz it would sit bouncing off the rev limiter spinning the wheels all day long

You don't really get that kind of buzz from the Scoob
Old 09 December 2002, 07:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I had a 1.8 clio - the "RSI" version - and it was good, but not a patch on the thrill of the scoob.

I test drove quite a few things when I was looking to move on from the Clio... Tried a puma, got back in the Clio and had more fun, tried an A3 1.8T and rushed back to the clio...

Tried the scoob, got back in the clio and thought "oh". Ordered the scoob that week from Holland

I miss it, and I do get tempted by something lighter, but on the other hand the scoob is just perfect at the moment
Old 09 December 2002, 07:45 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I miss my old Mazda 626 GTi coupe, lowered with s/steel exhaust which was too loud!! But since I'm half deaf it sounded fine to me.

Also twinge when i see a Mk2 XR2 with colour coded kit. Weird eh?
Old 09 December 2002, 07:54 PM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

Only bought the scoob for snow work and as a way of slowing me down
Old 09 December 2002, 09:22 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Ricco I've bought a Charade GTti !! I'm currently rebuilding it having just finished the engine and got it running again properly. A well sorted Charade would whip my standard impreza and I know as I've been a passenger in a tweaked one putting out 157 bhp at it was terrifyingly fast. Thats why i bought one as from track days and commuting.

What colour was yours ?

AllanB
Old 09 December 2002, 09:27 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

I miss the R5 GT Turbo. Pocket Rocket.
Old 09 December 2002, 09:32 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah I miss the VTS and would love to drive one again. My scooby would now convincingly waste it in every department and is a far more effective cross-country weapon but the VTS was a lot of fun. You could get low speed (hence safer) lift-off oversteer on roundabouts in the VTS. The same can be done just as easily in the scooby but you need to be 10mph or more faster and its usually too risky. Instead I opt for power oversteer on greasy roads. I sort of miss the whizz-bang nature of the VTS but I'd have to say I prefer the growl, suck, whirr, pop, bang, 'of **** look at the fuel level', whoosh of the scooby

Usual disclaimers apply
Old 09 December 2002, 09:39 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

This is why the Scoob is going & the Golf is staying.

That & the bills. Even with throttle bodies & a cam like a Rottweilers gob the Golf should be cheaper to run. Bit noisier though
Old 09 December 2002, 11:04 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Smile

I often wonder what it would be like to drive an old hot hatch again. Would it be as good as you remembered or would you wonder what you got all excited about in the first place. Remember having huge fun in R5GT's and 16V Clios but I wasnt that turned on when I drove a 172 Sport recently. Maybe the goalposts have moved on with 280bhp and 4WD and I need bigger thrills or maybe just got old!!

Anyone got a R5GT I could borrow for a couple of days while I make up my mind!!!
Old 09 December 2002, 11:19 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

don`t miss my old fiesta rs turbo, eating front tyres pulling my arms out of their joints with torque steer just in the dry. it would spin the front wheels in 3rd in the wet the one thing i do miss is the slightly beter mpg but i did`nt buy it for that
Old 09 December 2002, 11:52 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

I miss my old 1.9 205 GTI, everytime I got in it I turned into a monster!!! The only car that comes close nowadays is the Clio 172 in my opinion.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:13 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

205GTi 1.9...........absolute Classic car IMHO! Had mine 5 years and kept it totally standard. Loved it to bits and enjoyed every minute in it. It never let me down once. The only car I wanted to swap it for (within reason) was an Impreza........glad I made the change but somedays I miss the fun you can have a lower speeds and the fact that due to it's value I could................lets just say be more agressive with it
Old 10 December 2002, 08:33 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.........Ooooooooo yeah, i forgot about that. I had a 1.9 GTi B4 the Clio, that was a right handful. Massive torque and chuckability, but i'd pick my Clio over it any time.
Back on the subject of the 172 - My Ma has just left for work in it, and it looks soooooooooo sweet. It makes my Scoob look a right bag of knackers I need to get the Hot Hatch thing out of my system.
I wonder if the old man will put me on the insurance? I don't think he will after the episode the other year, when i overtook him without realising it was him. Would have been fine, apart from the 115+ mph speed i had accidentally reached.
Old 10 December 2002, 08:38 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Still keep thinking about my old F-reg Lancia Delta Martini - great car, not exactly subtle with the rally-style Martini stripes down the side (they came as standard). Great handling, and also quick in a straight line. It used to be able to embarrass any unmodified Astra GTE 16v, and RS turbo in its day. Would be outclassed a bit now though, and my Scooby would leave it for dead.
Saw it for sale about a year ago, still almost immaculate, no rust, but the stripes had been removed and the seats had been changed. Even thought about buying it 'as a second car', but couldn't really justify the expense.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:07 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Brun - I know what you mean, I spent all day at the motorshow, trying to convince the girlfirend that we needed a 172 Cup to "save money" (Jamie Logic)!

Old 10 December 2002, 09:08 AM
Scooby-Nu
Scooby Newbie

Still got my Pug205GTI and I can confirm that its more fun to drive than my pride and joy. However the scooby is miles faster, better comfort and doesnt exit backwards into a hedge every time you lift off the throttle. I reckon I've owned most hot hatches I lusted after in my youth and not a single one has the unique combination offered by the Scooby. An interesting footnote here my 96 standard Turbo 2000 met up with a new Civic Type R at the head of some traffic lights leading to a dual carriageway the other day..........................scratch one Civic Type R - I was about 400 yards away by the time it stopped wheel spinning!!!!
Old 10 December 2002, 09:47 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yup,

I defineatly miss my Williams 3. I traded it in for the impreza @ Simpsons in Highworth back in september 2000.

If i could find it i would take her back as a fun weekend car.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:49 AM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Missed the 205 1.9 so much after 2 new Scoobies, I sold up and returned to the fold. Life is now sweet again.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:56 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sad as it may seem I really miss my old Fiat Uno Turbo. Tried to find one a few times now but it would appear there are not many left anymore.

My ideal plan would be to get a MK2 Uno Turbo and get it chipped. If it blows up who cares as the car is only going to be worth a grand.
Old 10 December 2002, 10:09 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Joey, the Uno Turbo I had 3 of them, loved them. My last one was ever so slightly tuned, ended up with 222bhp Torque steer? On a damp road you could overtake without moving the steering wheel! Could spin the wheels in 3rd in the dry, oh how I miss it. When I sold it (with 100k on the clock) the passenger headrest had snapped due to it being hit by peoples heads.

Strada 130TC, awesome motor. Saw 2 for sale about a month back, being sold as a pair for £600. One was good running gear wise, the other was in good nick bodywork-wise. Went to look at them, but didn't have the space for 2 more cars I love older Fiats.
Old 10 December 2002, 11:35 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are lot sure you haven't just accidentally got your rose tinted specs on???

Matt

P.S. I used to love my 205 1.9GTi but I'm under no illusions now that if I went back to it, it would feel damn slow, have no grip and crap brakes!!!!
Old 10 December 2002, 11:42 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Of course we have! My dad is the same though.........always telling me how good all the old cars he used to own were. His fave was an Austin Healey 3000....MMMMmmmmmmm But I bet if he got to drive one again he'd realise all its old failings again, pretty quickly
Old 10 December 2002, 11:50 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have only just sold my 88 GTE 8v Astra, after a month of having me scoob. The guy who wanted to buy it asked me to take him for a spin as he was still on a ban. I thought cool, last drive of the car i have had for 6 years. Things that made me glad i got the scoob, the difference in the bite on the clutch, the gap between changing gears, the gte gearbox was like stirring a cup-of-soup with a spoon, scoob is like heaven, **** suspension on the gte, would lean so much round corners, and the understeer, (well)any weather if you push it enough. I still managed to scare the pants of the new buyer though, and almost myself on the roundabout (oops theres the understeer i was telling you about) Well he wanted it to be pushed so i did, still i wouldnt go back to it if you paid me. Nice n quick in a straight line, would have a lot of fun having a burn. It just couldnt hack it on the twistys.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:15 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Really miss my Pug 205GTI 1.6 and 106GTI. Use to be a lot more fun around town and you can push them more easily than the Scoob when you really have to be giving it some. Although the Scoob is a different league in performance!

May return to a hot hatch next though, as I never remember visiting petrol stations so bloody much!!

Ant

Quick Reply: Attn: all ex hot hatchers!