Sponsored by:

Attempted Carjacking in Manchester

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 04:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Firstly, sympathies with the victim etc. this really is getting bang out of order [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

However

If you dont need to be out in your car late, dont be.
Tony

I take full account of where you live etc. and I can only say that thank god we've got a few months/years up here before we catch up and this becomes as common place as it does in Manchester etc

I drive most nights, late at night (when the country roads are quiet and empty of most animals and cyclists ) and there is no way that these ******* will stop me enjoying my car.

I'm sure it's sound advice Tony but common sense tells us that this advice applies to certain areas. Ok I appreciate this could happen absolutely anywhere

Take sensible steps as you have rightly suggested but the 'don't drive unless you have to' is a bit OTT IMHO

Hope this guy makes a full recovery and they catch these scum

[Edited by SiPie - 12/6/2002 4:30:17 PM]
Old 06 December 2002, 04:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Here is the full story below.

Carjack stun gang foiled

A DRIVER is in a hospital heart unit today after a gang of masked car jackers paralysed him with a massive electric shock from an illegal stun gun.

The three thugs launched the attack after ramming their victim who was driving a high performance Subaru Imprezza. As the 23-year-old got out to exchange insurance details a member of the gang pressed the stun gun against him delivering a shock of up to 500,000 volts.

The driver collapsed leaving his 20-year-old girlfriend terrified in the passenger seat of the Imprezza.

But before the gang could steal the high performance car a patrolling police vehicle chanced upon the scene of the attack and the gang fled in their stolen silver Ford Focus. Officers gave chase but lost the suspects.

Interview

The stolen Ford was later abandoned on Blackwood Drive in Brooklands. Detectives were today hoping to interview the stunned man and his girlfriend about the attack happened at about 11pm yesterday.

The man, who has not yet been named, is being monitored by doctors in the cardiac unit at Wythenshawe Hospital.

His injuries were described as "not life threatening" but he is said to be suffering from an irregular heart rhythm.

Police are treating the crime very seriously and say they view it as a worrying escalation in the tactics being used by car jackers.

Illegal

Stun guns and batons which discharge up to 500,000 volts are readily available over the counter in the United States but are illegal in this country.

Marketed as self-defence weapons, the units can be bought for as little as ??20 via the Internet.

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said they were keen to speak to anyone who witnessed either the attempted car-jack or saw the men abandoning the car.

"Shunting cars like this is a common tactic used by car-jackers and we would urge people to be wary when they are involved in an accident like this," she said.

"Don't necessarily get straight out of your car, look around and if you're not happy keep your doors locked and drive to the nearest police station.

"We don't know at this stage exactly what weapon was used but from what we can tell it delivered a sizeable electric shock."

Anyone with information should contact GMP on 0161 872 5050 or Crimestoppers confidentially on 0800 555 111.

I would like to point a few things out though, like firstly that in a situation like this it is better to carry on to a police station or stay in the car and call the police, especially if the car behind has been driving very close to your rear bumper/acting suspiciously, also that you should keep your doors locked at ALL times whilst in the car and always leave enough space to get the car out of if you feel threatened.
If its not necessary to drive at 11pm at night then dont (if said driver had been "cruising around" then all ill say is tough luck) but if said driver had been coming back from a meal (not maccy d's or burgerking before anyone starts ) or the pics then unfortunate
If you dont need to be out in your car late, dont be.

Tony
Old 06 December 2002, 04:32 PM
ak1
Scooby Newbie

I've had this tried on me and they did'nt get away with it they ended up in worse condition then me why can't you drive your scooby at night what is this country coming to.
Old 06 December 2002, 04:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Si,
what i said is that if you dont need to be out late in your car then dont be, its easier for scum like this to take advantage of the lack of people/passing cars etc at this time of night (especially in a built up area) and i normally wouldnt drive late at night anyway unless it was necessary (ie i was working) but just to be out for a drive then no, i wouldnt and i dont think this driver would be again to be honest with you.
The fact is that if you get into a situation like this then head towards the nearest police station or call them on your mobile (which 60-80% of people would have on them) rather than not being able to see the scum in the car behind you because of the headlights in your mirrors etc.
This guy could have just been the person "in the wrong place at the wrong time" or they could have pinpointed him because he drives out late at night, and owning a scoob or any high performance car comes with some risk
The area he was in anyway i wouldnt call nice and i avoid these during the day let alone the night!
Things like these are not just happening in Manchester, they are happening all over the country and people need to be made aware of how to combat them and be more vigilant at the same time (anti hijack systems, trackers etc).

Tony
Old 06 December 2002, 04:54 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Angry

Detectives were today hoping to interview the *stunned* man and his girlfriend...
Nice choice of words Mr. Journalist

Any idea which bit of Manchester the attempted jack occurred?
Old 06 December 2002, 04:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The incident happened on Wythenshaw road, Northern Moor, and they cant spell Impreza either if you look closely

Tony
Old 06 December 2002, 05:01 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

Sod that Tony.

i will use my car when and where i like.

No way am i going to be a victim of these tossers by shutting myself away at night. If i get into a bad situation late at night, so be it, it's better than being scared by a tiny % chance of anything ever happening to me.

This is the real terorism in our lives, dont let them control you.
Old 06 December 2002, 05:04 PM
turboteeth10
Scooby Newbie

Wink

off too the States tomorrow. Think I might purchase one on those stun gun thingies
Old 06 December 2002, 05:09 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

totally agree with tony. after 3 attempted theft and vandalism of my 93wrx (now RIP-ped), i have always planned trips to avoid late night driving. call this paranoia but end of the day, a city is still a city where by chance scums like this will be around to pounce on unsuspecting drivers.

end of the day, it's not even helpful if u r bruce lee or some tough cookie coz the f-ing law is always on their side (eg. get done for excessive violence while defending self is common) and somehow the old B*ll more often than not can't manage to catch up with stolen cars during a chase while they would happily flag an unsuspecting driver for say doing 80 on a 70 A road!

not wanting to offend anyone, just a rant.
Old 06 December 2002, 06:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,
who said anything about shutting anyone away at night (except this scum) but i dont fancy getting done for drink driving
The fact is though that as you know John, we have to be more vigilant as our cars are on the hit list for scum like this [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and i hardly ever use my car late at night (normally fallen over somewhere so wouldnt even know where ive put the keys ) and all im saying is that if your journey isnt necessary then dont do it (ie dont be a lazy git ) but alot of people will "cruise" round for hours in a scoob (the younger owners mainly who think its great to do so and stop off at Maccy D's and watch people eat burgers and drink milkshakes )
It doesnt put me off using my scoob, im just more vigilant about where i go (say the pics for instance, then ill go in the car but keep an eye in me rear view mirror on the way home etc).
Routines are the biggest downfalls in most cases i fear as if you go out everynight for the same ammount of time, drive back the same way etc then you have a greater chance of being a victim

Tony
Old 06 December 2002, 06:28 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

nothing wrong with cruising around for hours. I used to do that in a hillman imp when i was a kid. Boy did that pull the birds. LOL

all i am saying is dont let scum control your life, if you want to go out for a run at 3am, go and do it.
Old 06 December 2002, 07:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Wot I wonder is when the law will get to grips with this crime? It took 'em nearly 10 years to get a "fairly" tough law on the books to deal with mobile phone theft.
If I walk into a jewellers/supermarket/bank etc, even THREATEN someone with a stungun etc, and walk out with the price of an Impreza in cash or jewellery, then I'll quite rightly face being locked up for quite a while when caught, EVEN IF IT'S A FIRST OFFENCE!!
But what will these people get? Slap on the wrist? Don't do it again? Stop being naughty boys? Oh sorry, we didn't know you were from a one parent family, PLEASE don't do it again. It makes my blood boil.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
If someone tries to take my car, they damn well better be armed, or Mr Maglite will be working overtime, and f*ck the consequences[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar
Old 06 December 2002, 08:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

If you get shunted up the rear and looks like a few youths in the car suspect the worse

lock doors go forward 200yards flat out slam into reverse flat out and run over their bonnet and flatten their roof LOL

Seriously Lock doors drive to a crowded, well lit area better still a cop shop. If I am flsahed late at night by an unmarked "Policecar" (these lights a cheap, are they real) I'd put hazards on and drive slowly to safe place or closest cop shop

Tony
Old 07 December 2002, 12:08 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

that's what happened a few weeks back. got flashed by unmarked car but snooper was quiet, decided to carry on driving (at abt 80mph)for an additional mile to stop by a petrol station where there are cctvs, at least if they were jackers, i would be safe.

told them the reason and quite surprisingly, got off. they were tailgaiting close so told them thought were some racers.

reason for earlier post coz i got done for let's say defending my car once against some teenage kids. enuff said.

not promoting any violence or illegal acts but sometimes it does get carried away with all those anger.
Old 07 December 2002, 12:12 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i have my alrm setup to auto lock my doors when the ignition is switched on, that could save you a few vital seconds and stops you forgetting to lock the doors.