Sponsored by:

Fitting Air con to a MY00 - Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2002, 03:29 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I hopefully will soon be receiving an air con kit for my MY00 turbo but have never attempted to fit one before.

Anyone with experince with fitting one - tips would be very welcome.
Any links to fitting instruction/tips etc would also be useful.

Also anybody know someone in the southwest (Taunton area to be more exact) that could do the gassing??

Thanks guys,

Nezz.
Old 06 December 2002, 05:52 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do u want to do that? it puts strain on the engine, wastes power and weighs a **** load. I took all mine out
Old 06 December 2002, 06:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

it puts strain on the engine....
Hmmmm so why do all jap cars come with this standard (in most cases )
I would find a fitter or get it done at a dealer to be honest with you, it will take them about 3-4 hours to fit and gas (they normally have someone to fit it for them, you could find out who and get it done cheaper? )
You wont notice much in the way of power loss except very low down the rev range on a hot summers day and fuel economy will hardly be affected, just check out your local thompson local and see how many aircon fitters there are out there

Tony
Old 07 December 2002, 06:41 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks tony.

The reason I am fitting it is because in the summer with a black interior it get REALLY hot and when I regulally do long trips up and down the M5, usually sitting in traffic for most of it, I would prefer to sit there in comfort. Also due to having two weeks off for xmas (my lonmgest holiday this year) I though I would get it sorted.

Not wanting to pay for it to be fitted, prefer to do that myself and save cash but gassing will have to be done by the professionals.

Old 07 December 2002, 07:42 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

IIRC Coolair are the company that fit and service a/c units for Subaru - or at least used to before the bug eye had a/c fitted as standard. As for DIY vs a professional, personally I would stick with the professionals. They'll probably do a better than someone doing their first, plus come resale time, a DIY fitted a/c would make me look elsewhere.

As for taking power - yes they do although you will hardly notice it given how much power you have. Now if you wanted to fit a/c to a Justy then it would be a different story! Of course if you are that concerned about power, then switch a/c off when you want to have some fun...
Old 07 December 2002, 01:11 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Cool

Don't worry about it til next year mate. Haven't you looked out of the window today ?!????!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Old 07 December 2002, 02:29 PM
Ski Ned
Scooby Regular

Question

where did you get the AC kit from and how much?

I wish I had bought a car with AC - give the Indian summers we have here, it's a must!
Old 07 December 2002, 04:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've got some Air-Con fitting instructions (came with a kit I was selling) - I'm positive they were for a MY98 onwards (facelift) - they are the Subaru fitters instructions....

Any help?

Email me offline if you're interested.

Dan
Old 07 December 2002, 04:52 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

the air con is a piece of **** to fit, its a pump, radiator a few pipes etc very easy.

Tony how can you say something being driven by the engine isnt going to take power away from other things, its a known fact that air con drains power and even when its not the engines still driving the pump etc so draining power. Its fitted as standard on jap cars as a luxury item not because it doesnt affect performance. Next your going to tell me they fit electric windows and central locking because its as light as winders too. Why do the lightweight jap models come without air con then? for someone with 4000 posts you dont know a lot about your car do you?
Old 07 December 2002, 05:07 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Air Con comes as as option for the lightweight RA. I'm removing mine soon as I hardly ever use it to begin with anyway.
Old 07 December 2002, 05:30 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

actually siwrx when it's switched off the engine is just turning the pulley on the compressor it's not pumping the gas around until the clutch on the compressor kicks in. so no power drain there
Old 07 December 2002, 08:07 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

if u read what i put scooby boy youll see that i said it is a big drain when turned on but even when off the engine is still turning another 2 pulleys and driving another belt, this is taking power away. ok not a lot, but it is draining power, plus its in the way for the fmic conversions
Old 08 December 2002, 09:52 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

The only thing that puts strain on your engine is ya right foot!!

A doubt a small pump will effect 200+BHP!!

You will be saying next that flushing the loo at 30,000ft stesses the Jumbo engines!!