got band coz the westy was too loud, but ace fun

Drift fun wmv :-)

[Edited by catflap - 12/6/2002 4:11:06 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 07:35 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Driving sideways is one of my favourite pasttimes. So when the one like the Gossy offered a whole day out of broadsiding for 50squid I tore his arm off. Best of all it was on a monday as well, If there was ever a reason to not get up in the morning, this was it.
I woke up at 7am (so much for the lie in) and got the 3-door ready. In went the Sapphire cosworth rims with the most tread remaining, together with a hand held compressor, can of back to black, camcorder, and lots of warm clothes.
I set out at around 7-30 after visiting a shell for oil and optimax. The drive was ok, but it was fairly sticky so Gossy set out at 8-15 and I caught him up.
Soon after Paul Palmer showed up with his mate Ian and his Elise. Unfortunatly Paul's Capri was MOTless so it couldnt come out to play, however, he was looking forward to having a punt in the Lotus to make up for it.
We got to Turweston, near silverstone at about 9. Shortly after the rest of the drifters showed up. It was a nice mix of cars, a skyline, RX7, a couple of Supras and of course a WRX wagon, elise and 3-door Cosworth.
I got busy preparing the 3-door for the day. First off was to get the saph rims up to the right pressure. having been to donut days in the past where the surface was to abrasive to play I werent gonna take any chances. I inflated them to 40psi to reduce the contact area as much as possible. While this was happening I was spraying the back to black over the tread blocks to reduce traction even more. After that I borrowed Gossy's jack and the best goddamn wheelbrace I've ever had the pleasure of using and swapped over my nice 3-door rims for my broadside compound saff rims. After that I hardened my rear shocks four clicks each to make the car less wallowy round the corners. Like I said, no chances.
While I was busy, the course was set up. Using cones to mark out a nice 3 corner chicane, the course was adjusted to turn the three bends into sharp hairpins. Big up Ian for taking as many cones to the drift arena as his Lotus would allow. One. On the roof.
We went into the cafe and had some cups of tea while the tractor went lake hunting to fill up the bowser. Shortly after it appeared and started spraying water all over the course. Then it was drift time.
There were various levels of skill on the course. Some were first timers, others were hardened pros. People were patient as there was only about 10 cars there, so there was plenty of time to have a blat, then relax, before it was your turn again. Gossy went first IIRC and a combination of slicks on the back and just legal tread on the front saw him spanking the oversteer monkey straight away. I cant remember who came next but it was soon my turn. I did a few sighting turns to test the level of grip, then went for it. My work paid off and the car was really tail happy from the word go. The combination of boost and water saw me spinning more than a few times, but I soon got the hang of it and was happily grabbing the opposite lock with nice and progressive slides making me grin like John Prescott in a pie factory.
The only downside was the water coverage was not 100% of the course. this made sudden snaps unrecoverable. well thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it. However, practice, togther with another hosing by the bowser made spins less frequent and sweet, sweet slides more common.
Ofer a few goes, the morning seemed to blur into a mass of screeching tyres and shouts of "go on my son!" Highlights included
:
Paul palmer taking me out in Ian's Elise. Oh, My, God. I've raved about Paul's driving abilities before, but this was fantastic. My first time in an Elise and with a craftsman like Paul at the wheel it was just amazing. No spins, very little understeer, just monster, perfectly controlled drifts for as long as he wanted. Which was a long time. Bossak driving Paul.
Gossy being asked to drive the skyline, then breaking it. Gossy felt really bad about possibly doing the big end after taking it for a spin, till it was found out there was virtually no oil in the car anyway A trip to the garage was arranged and everything was sweet after giving the car a drink.
It was soon time for lunch and everybody filled up in the airport cafe. Which was yum btw. After everyone had finished, the course was re-arranged into a large "C" this made for two 90 degree turns and a long 180 degree sweeping turn.
While this was happening, Me, Gossy, Julie and Paul were using the runway. With Julie at the wheel of a certain WRX wagon and paul as passenger, Me and gossy lined up next to them. Paul dropped his hand and we both went for it. I painted the tarmac black with my low traction rims and JUSt done julie over the course. Did the same on the way back as well. This had the effect of Gossy vacating my passenger seat and moving Julie into the Wagons co-pilots seat. Paul jumped in with me. As before I lit up immediatly with a lairy broadside off the line. Gossy however was sidestepping the clutch at 5k so traction was obiviously better. He done me both times. Women drivers eh? (JOKE!!!!)
We finished playing and got back to the drifting. everybody was really getting good now, together with that and another soaking by the bowser, meant that big drifts were now monster drifts. Gossy was having it large and I was particulally pleased with a drift that lasted almost one full circuit of the course.
I also jumped in with a lady who was an RX-7 fanatic. She had come up with a friend and was a newcomer to drifting. I gave her a few tips on how to do it and she was getting the first beginnings of a the breakaway down well. After she had finished I showed her the way to my passenger seat and said she should look at what my feet were doing to provoke the car. Then she had another go. She was getting it down well by then end of the day
Light was fading fast So I had one last go and then pulled into the pits to return the car to its normal state. The only damage was an exhaust mount which had slipped off. Big up to Ian for getting it back on for me. The car was returned to normal just as the sun set. Soon after a quick bog visit, we all returned home.
What a top day out. Going sideways is always fun, but to do it so often with room for mistakes is not only more fun than watching Jordan on a trampoline, but really does improve your driving technique to a point where I was feeling uneasy about NOT drifting into bends on the trip home. On top of that I was with all my mates as well, with no sanctamonius instructors breathing down your neck all day. If you get a chance to goto one of these drift days, grab it. Dont worry about your tyres either. I lost only a couple of mill throughout the day.
Drifting its the Jaffa orangey bit of driving and I was biting round the chocolate all day.
astraboy.

Old 02 December 2002, 07:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Astraboy

That was Lees elise did drift nicely didn't it

Paul
Old 02 December 2002, 07:40 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Oh and the skyline went away f*cked the oil came too late

Paul
Old 02 December 2002, 07:47 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Opps sorry mate. I'm a bit on the tired side
For Ian, read Lee. I'm off to bed.
Night,
astraboy.
zzz.
Old 02 December 2002, 08:16 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad you boys had a good day

Hope its not on TV Paul

Ian
Old 02 December 2002, 08:16 PM
me julie
Scooby Regular

wow what a fun day i had first time i have ever launched and raced the wagon paul you can tell them what it was like
Old 02 December 2002, 11:31 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice story astraboy

will post some piccies tomorrow when i can my bl00dy computer to work properly LOL
Old 03 December 2002, 12:19 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Goss I forgot all about this Got this week off work and had the westie out this morning too Damn....

Had me own little drift time though, managed to blag (sneek) me way onto bovvie airfield, and being the only one there let rip half shreaded me rears I had to stop the monstor donuts when I couldnt see any more

Let me know when the next one is!

P
Old 03 December 2002, 10:13 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Forgot this. Looked at my trip on the way into the airfield it said 70 miles. Looked at it on the way out and it said 81.
11 miles sideways
astraboy.
Old 03 December 2002, 07:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks a/b, really great write-up, I'm jealous as hell!

Oh, and ROFL @
more fun than watching Jordan on a trampoline
Old 03 December 2002, 10:49 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 04 December 2002, 12:13 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oversteer from us both on the second from last pic.
or what?
Nice pics.
astraboy.
Old 06 December 2002, 10:09 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

What quality camera work Shame there are no pictures of me driving
Old 06 December 2002, 11:08 AM
ripmaze
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice write up and sounds really good - have you any details about how you get on the day (phone number etc.)? I fancy a go .
Old 06 December 2002, 11:31 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

yup
speak to me via my profile or ring me 07870 757 043
Old 06 December 2002, 11:34 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Speaking to Phil Bennett he is setting up a drift school next year using BMW M3's. Should be fun. Will post more details when I get them.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:44 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

For more info (and more to come):

http://www.driftschool.com

Ids
Old 01 January 2003, 04:30 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 03 January 2003, 01:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a great day, thanks Astraboy for the description.
Old 03 January 2003, 02:30 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 03 January 2003, 02:53 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Top vid catflap
Andyp