ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

orange wedges

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2002, 10:44 PM
RB5 JO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This has possibly been on thread b4 but ....any tips on color changing the wedges (from orange to blue steel) would be helpful. Is this easy to do??

Ta Jo
Old 01 December 2002, 10:58 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im looking at doing this too. It seems easy to get them off - enter a flatheaded screwdriver (cover it in a towel etc to avoid scratching paint) on the two clip points and the top of each wedge then prize them out.

To paint most say sand them down so the paint can stick to them then paint.

I will be asking my local bodyshop to colour code mine in DBM next week when my car is in getting a new bootlid under ins. Hopefully I can get them to claim it on ins and it wont cost me anything.

Will post pics when its done.

Simon.
Old 01 December 2002, 11:22 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jo,

It's a doddle to do.

First prize them off the car as Simon suggests using a flat-blade scrrewdriver covered in a thin'ish towel. There's two slots at the top of the vent, so just insert, lift and they will pop out.

I used some fine we 'n dry sandpaper to get rid of the orange paint. You don't need to get all of it off, just enough so that the new paint can stick properly.

Halfords use Holts paint, so should be able to colour match to any Scooby paint code. I just gave them my paint code and they had a quick look through their paint code book to double-check.

About 10mins later and £8.99 out of pocket, I had a spray can full of the stuff.

Once you sanded them down and gave them a good wash to get rid of any grease and dust, just give them about 5-6 light coats. It's best to build up the colour, than trying to get all of it on in the one go. Obviously, leave enough drying time between coats.

Finally, give them a few coats of clear lacquer (not essential), but just some extra protection from chipping.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing and I managed it with no dramas in just an a few hours or so. The majority of this time is waiting for the paint to dry, so it only takes about 15-30mins of your time.

Stefan