Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I buy an Imprezza Turbo or Lotus Elise?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2002, 10:07 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have about 12-14k next year to spend on either a Late Classic Imprezza or a S1 Elise, possibly a 111s. So which one's the best, given I have to use it every day for work?
Old 29 November 2002, 10:09 PM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

How can you come on a Subaru site and ask such a daft question

Buy the Lotus you fool
Old 29 November 2002, 10:12 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Well, the thought crossed my mind, but you guys do seem to be pretty balanced on the whole...
Old 29 November 2002, 10:15 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Elise If you're using it for commuting, then the 45mpg & cheaper insurance isn't too shabby

As for driving experience. You'd have to drive them both and see what suits you more

Old 29 November 2002, 10:18 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Maybe... Although I doubt a 111s will do 45mpg!
Old 29 November 2002, 10:34 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Yo want to buy my Scoob (in the for sale section) Elise is cool although you can look like a tw@t trying to get in and out of the thing
Old 29 November 2002, 10:40 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i forgot about the 111s bit when i was typing that reply

Trending Topics

Old 29 November 2002, 11:02 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Right to put you in the picture, I have owned three Impreza STis and currently have an Elise S1. If you are thinking about a UK Turbo, I can't comment having never owned one.

It is actually quite hard to compare the two, since they are so differect, but I will do my best and try to cover the main issues.

Firstly, regardless of what anyone says, the Impreza will cost you about twice as much to run. Elises get twice the MPG as an Sti, and do so on 95 as opposed to 98 Ron fuel. They are also way better on their wearing parts, and these items are cheaper on the Lotus than the Impreza. Finally the Elise needs servicing every 7500 miles or 12 months, compared to 6000 miles or 6 months for the Impreza I think. These figures apply equally to the UK Turbo.

2nd point, Elises hold their value better. They were a similar price new to the Impreza, but are worth considerably more now, and especially so in the summer. On this point, now is the best time to look for an Elise as there are some bargains about. Do not look in the Spring if you can avoid it as there is a lot of competeition for good examples and prices rise.

Practicality and reliability. On the reliability front, the Scoob wins, but not by much. Elises are very reliable, but they do have more ancilliary items which wear out or go wrong than the Impreza. These are generally not major at all, and aren't expensive to fix. You need to be equally careful in purchasing either car. Practicality wise, let's face it the Elise can't even compete. The Scoob is a proper car which can seat five, whereas the Lotus is a compromised light weight sports car. It is a pig to get in and out of and the roof is quite fiddly and prone to minor leaks in heavy rain. However, once inside it is very comfortable to drive (excellent driving position, good visibility). The boot is also not that bad, although it is an awkward shape. You can get maybe eight bags of shopping in there. It is larger than the boot on a Toyota MR2.

Driving. Well, again they are very different. A UK scoob is of similar performance to an Elise up to about 80mph, whereas a 280 bhp Jap Import is rather a lot quicker. This is not really the point of the Elise though. It's main game is handling, and in this respect there is nothing on earth, except perhaps a Caterham to touch it. They are simply siblime to drive in every way. Every other car you drive will feel like an unwieldy tank by comparison. The Elise steering is also out of this world.

Finally image. Let's be honest here guys, the Elise is MUCH better looking than an Impreza, and to the average punter, the Lotus is way cooler.

In the end, they are both great cars. If you are the kind of person who is prepared to make sacrifices for a unique driving experience get the Elise. If you need your creature comforts and practicality but also want your thrills, get an Impreza.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by Tractor - 11/29/2002 11:03:44 PM]
Old 29 November 2002, 11:16 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tractor, that's probably made my mind up!

The Imprezza Turbo is a superb motor car. And maybe in the future I'll own one (I hope!). But for now, the Elise is my choice!
Old 29 November 2002, 11:44 PM
Turkish1
Scooby Regular

Good bit of summing up Tractor.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:58 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Its Impreza only one z in there
For out and out ownership then i would have to say the Impreza won hands down, 7.5k service intervals and 4 doors plus awd its a big plus over an elise which honestly is a summer car where as the impreza is an all year round vehicle.
Yes it will cost more to run, but you cannot compare the two really, if you just ran both together all year round then there would be no comparison, the impreza would end up top, just for summer then the elise would end up top.
Simple really

Tony
Old 30 November 2002, 02:57 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Red face

its a brave man that buys any car sporting a k series under the lid,one of the worst engines ever???? its a braver man that intends to buy a car with the dreaded k series then drive it hard???i know loads and loads of horror stories with em,make sure you work that into any sums in respect of running costs,it will let go deffo!!hope you get lucky but honestly be warned,we deal in engines and get asked daily,yes daily for these motors and they are nearly always beyond a rebuild.....good luck though....jase.
Old 30 November 2002, 03:21 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't think that's quite fair, jase. I know of a lot of people with K series engines in Elises & various kit cars, and I don't know of any that have let go in those. With not much weight to haul around they're not highly stressed except on track days. My Dad has a 1.8 "k" in his GTM Libra (mid engined coupe, 100kg lighter, and 2-3 times stiffer than the Elise). Performance is similar to an unmodified STi, yet he gets 50mpg in daily use. 40,000 miles and it hasn't missed a beat.

Anyway, back on topic. IMHO, if it's going to be your only car, get the scoob. If it's a fun car for daily use, but you/the missus has access to a "more practical" car, get the Elise.
Old 30 November 2002, 03:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Funny how know nobody has touch on paintwork. If you get an elise you seriously need to consider armourfend or equivalent or it will cost you a fortune in resprays. Elises are very noisy inside in comparison and no luggage space make sure you get a long test drive and get one with a hard top the soft top is stupid to fit .

This may sound daft but check the boot release my mate had 4 replacements in two years on his S1.

I had a UK 98 scoob at the time and the S1 was slightly quicker in a straight line but not in the same league as my RA in straight line performance terms, mind due he now has a TVR so the shoe is firmly on the other foot .
Old 30 November 2002, 03:25 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Must say I didnt know which way he went in either scoob on a dry twisty road
Old 30 November 2002, 03:36 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Wink

k series not that bad ey?well put it like this i will buy every good engine there is ,!!(any offers mail me,must have receipt and numbers on mind you)soz mate will have to disagree k series engines are absoutly awful(imho)however i will see the attraction with the elise just would not touch one with a barge pole...sorry....if it was my cash scooby every time without even so much as a doubt..... or if it has to be a convertable buy a honda s2000??
Old 30 November 2002, 03:36 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just opinion from me here - the elise is a car I wanted to like, but it really wasn't for me... Yes it does great MPG (which would make loads of sense to me at the moment ), but apart from the handling (which is excellent), I found the performance lacklustre and didn't feel safe driving one (probably misguided - I think they are fairly safe).

Anyway I don't think that the small car thing is for me at the moment! I'd definitely recommend trying both the impreza and elise for extended periods before buying (that said I wouldn't buy either so probably the wrong person to comment!)
Old 30 November 2002, 05:29 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Good point... I'll have to test drive both before I can really make my mind up. For all I know I could hate every second i'm in the Elise... Though I doubt it!
Old 30 November 2002, 05:41 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

The scoob its a lot easier to drive quickly especially in differing conditions. The Elise commands more respect/skill being mid engined RWD. Also have a I think where you intending leaving it parked up not only at home and work but in towns car parks etc. Also a lot of elise are weekend summer fun motors. My mate used his all year round and had a hardtop. The S1s do leak and although he used his all year round I couldnt have. Strangely they are quieter witht he softtop than the hardtop and dont let any kids with marbles in .
Old 30 November 2002, 06:10 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

you have to ask yourself one question.... am i a hairdreser?
Old 30 November 2002, 06:16 PM
Flat_Steve
Scooby Newbie

Well, no. But I do cut my own hair... Does that qualify?
Old 30 November 2002, 06:23 PM
Nick Land
Scooby Newbie

Elise has a British built engine, Impreza Japanese built. Nuf said sadly.
Put a flat four Impreza engine in the Lotus chassis and it could be interesting.
Old 30 November 2002, 06:26 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Wink

depends on which car you buy
Old 30 November 2002, 08:27 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i test drove an elise and the scooby b4 i bought the scoob.

i am getting an elise next, because i really want to experience driving one. I wont be happy until i do.

that said, i love my scoob... its a my99 uk turbo decatted and PPP.

the elise didnt feel fast enough... it was a standard S2 sports tourer.

since then i have driven a S2 111s... and i loved it!

if the elise would stop u doing things that u could do with the impreza... then that something to consider.

I have not found anything that it would have stopped me doing so far.
i couldnt really afford the elise b4... but i have spent soooo much on my scoob.
in saying that... i love my car at the mo.. so i am not in a rush to get the elise.. just will get it next.
Old 30 November 2002, 09:41 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I must say I agree with above that they are v different cars.

[Edited by wilf - 12/1/2002 5:42:34 PM]
Old 01 December 2002, 10:05 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm, Jase, I have heard of WAY more Impreza engines going bang than K series. The 1.8k as fitted to the 96-97 Elises was prone to head gasket failure, but this was dealt with on the later models. I disagree with you entirely. It is a very good engine, flexible, reliable and easily tuneable, if not as characterful as the flat 4, but not much is right?

Flat Steve, where abouts are you in the UK? If not far from me, I'd happily show you around my car if you like.

Mike
Old 01 December 2002, 10:35 PM
JOE#P1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can elise's go fast on the road yes scooby's can go fast as **** on and off road that's all i can say.
Anyway hope you get the right one for you.
Old 02 December 2002, 08:40 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I edited my last post but basically it said much as I love an Elise it is no where near as complete as a scoob although I still intend to get one as a second car at some point.

Tiff Needell in a Top Gear Mag test in 97 was quicker on the track in the 97MY UK turbo than the Elise.

I recently looked seriously at buying an Elise - even the 111s felt way slower than my P1.

The Elise has great handling/image but the market for them is dead they have grotty engines and gearboxes and brakes that are wooden.

Drive both and make your own mind up .
Old 02 December 2002, 01:58 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you're a single, testosterone fuelled male, then the Elise has better knicker snapping ability, for its looks as much as the the secondary effects of getting in / out.

Best to get one before settling down and the kids arrive.

You can then get a scoob when that day comes; unless you have two cars, of course.
Old 02 December 2002, 02:01 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Wink

Wait till Lotus release the revised Elise with the Toyota Camry V6 engine!!! Got this info from AutoExpress e-mail news up-dates. Guaranteed the K-series will be made redundant. I still prefer the Scoob though IMO.

Quick Reply: Do I buy an Imprezza Turbo or Lotus Elise?