Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2002, 11:50 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi there peeps.

I think this may a bit topical in light of recent posts but here goes

I have just had my apprasal and got a nice BIG wage rise (and no, I aint a fireman ) and the car needs replacing because im not happy with it post smash.

So with my wage rise Im looking to go from a 306 XSi to a Scoob. Now, I *know* my driving isn't the best, but it aint bad either, if you see. However going from approx 130 BHP to 200+ and 4WD instead of FWD I think I need to learn to drive it, having always had FWD before. Any good courses I can go on to learn to drive these things. I aint talkin about how to trash it or do stupid things, just to be able to learn a bit and drive it safely. Any reccomendations ?

Now the interestesting bit What car to go for. I have approx 14 - 16K to spend on one, excluding the 1K+ insurance.

I would prefer an STI to a WRX (Kinda like having McDs when you could have Burger King!) So that puts out getting an 03 one.

Any ideas as to what I can get for the money. Ideally a low milage good condition one. Im paranoid about it costing a fortune in repairs ( i can cope with the petrol, insurance etc just not a few K on new bits like engines )

Old 28 November 2002, 11:58 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

The hardest scoobies is the older ones (pre-97). But since you got the cash you might as well get a newish older shape.
Old 28 November 2002, 12:06 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

that budget will get you a very nice scoob. your last paragraph suggests you would be advised to buy a UK car with warranty. I am biased, but you could go for an RB5 WR version. Some superb cars available on this site within your budget.

driver training - http://www.1stlotus.com/ seems to be a favourite. not tried it personally though.

Steve
Old 28 November 2002, 12:33 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO opinion go for a UK special ie. Cataluna, McRAE, RB5 these ltd edition models may save you a bit of money when you re sell and they are a bit "special"
Doc
Old 28 November 2002, 01:15 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

We went from a 60bhp (optimistic? ) 1.2 8v Corsa to the Scoob. The joy of the Scoob is that it can be driven "normally" so while you're getting used to it, you're not going to kill yourself but, if you feel the need to make good progress on the roads, I'd recommend somewhere like www.1stlotus.com, or doing the advanced motoring course/ROSPA, High Performance courses or Don Palmer's course. All are apparently very good and we're looking to go on the 1st Lotus one in the near future.
Old 28 November 2002, 01:49 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I do prefer the old shape to the new shape I have to admit. The courses sound bloody good. Anyone for a group buy
Old 28 November 2002, 04:36 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

gotta say that tuition is a top idea - however i think the progression from a powerful front wheel drive machine to scoob is a fairly natural one anyhow. i found this and so do many others.
you are gonna have a phat one for that money - why not see if you can get a special edition for that money?
weava

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2002, 05:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The special editions named above have fancy interiors but no real mechanical differences (aircon excepted). Nice to have aircon and alcantara in my Terzo, but worth the extra 2 grand? Don't think so. PPP on the other hand...