Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch judder - Is there a definate fix (P1 housing)

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 03:10 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember a couple of posts a while ago saying IM released a service fix for `clutch judder`.

This comprised fitting the stiffer clutch housing from a P1 and effectively cured the problem.

Can anyine confirm this? There appears to have been a number of posts recently implying recent cases just got a new clutch which then starts juddering again!!!!

Well I have a 00MY with clutch judder when cold and intermitantly when hot. I cant` be bothered unless it is fixed for good - any advice?

PS I hads a 97MY for 2 years that always did it and I was always given the `they all do that` by my local dealer.........
Old 10 October 2001, 03:29 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

James

The P1 fix has worked for my RB5. It was done early this year with no further problems.

Tim
Old 10 October 2001, 04:12 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Mine was replaced a few months ago and the 'judder' has just returned. Problem is, warranty runs out in 4 days so I guess I wont bother.
Old 10 October 2001, 04:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive heard of STi's and P1's getting clutch judder suppose the best way around it is to shove a decent clutch in there in the first place but try changing your clutch fluid to something a little better as my MY00 only seems to play up when its cold/wet otherwise ive had no other problems with it

Tony
PS waiting til next service to have fluid changed
Old 10 October 2001, 04:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oooooooops double post

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 11 October 2001).]
Old 10 October 2001, 09:06 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Angry

i think that i have just developed clutch judder on my p1
not as bad as on my old my99

last 2 mornings i have noticed it and will be in to my friendly dealers soon!

pete
Old 10 October 2001, 10:09 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

P1 bits haven't fixed mine.
The dealer has been very good about it, offering to replace again when I feel it's too bad.
Allan

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 10:54 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

I have a P1 clutch in one of my Cars (supposed fix) it is much better than my MY97 but still judders slightly.
Old 10 October 2001, 11:06 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

My clutch was replaced in April this year with the upgraded version. I have noticed that in the last 2-3 months, there is possibly slight judder but it is much less prominent than before. It'll take a really cold winters morning to see if its just my imagination.

D.
Old 11 October 2001, 10:04 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

So apparently no definate fix!!!!

Intersting comment re the wet weather making it worse. That seems to be the case. Cold start with lots of standing water means the engine tries to throw itself out of the car!!!!!!!
Old 11 October 2001, 10:50 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

Our RB5 is juddering again, 10K on from the replacement to cure juddering, am gonna speak to my dealer and get it done again...unless someone can recommend a different clutch, which i'll try and get Subaru to cough up for...
Old 11 October 2001, 03:14 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Spoke to my dealer today, is happy to replace clutch again, reckons Subaru won't stretch to a Branded clutch under warranty cause they'd then have to give a warranty on that....
Old 11 October 2001, 05:09 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

Seems like us impreza drivers got a shoddy deal on clutches, think a manufacture with such a rallying prestige would know the value of good clutch and gear box, or is it that they only think well be driving it for 10 min stages and so wont care about the clutch?

Must admit im pretty disappointed about it, me new to me my99 judders like a judderything on a cold juddery morning

And as so many of us rightly think, is there any po9int paying (out of warranty) for it to be replaced when its gona happen in 10-20 k anyway, witch happens to be less that a year for me,

So what you telling us mr Subaru, new clutch every mot? Please….

HEHEH got a little upset there , take deep breaths Catflap, that’s better

Im selling up to get a nova!!!!! with 30" alloys and a 19" exuast
Old 12 October 2001, 08:50 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

AP clutch worked a treat at fixing judder.

It was never bad on my car (Sti) but when we took the clutch out it had scuff marks and was only contacting about 65% of the total area - therefore judder. Pressure plate is not strong enough.

AP is excellent and probably not that much more.

Trout
Old 13 October 2001, 02:09 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

No, you should stay angry Catflap. From what I can gather from this web-site, there is a definite problem regarding both clutch-judder and piston slap from what we have been told are one of the most reliable cars you can buy. More to the point I think that my '98 car suffers from both.

Now my previous three cars have all been Fords and whilst being plagued by the usual squeaking dashboards and other little niggles, none of them had anything like these potential wallet ripping faults that the Scooby has.

Why has Subaru not recalled the cars for replacement clutch housings, and engine blocks/replacement pistons, if the problems are so common? And to be told that they all do that is not good enough, other £20,000 cars do not do that, these are serious engineering faults and methinks that the Scoobies reputation has far outstripped its mechanical integrity. Afterall you can only play with the performance for so long then its back to being the daily runaround for the majority of us, a role it seems not to be able to play very well.

I bought mine and put a two year warrenty on it for peace of mind but from the tone of the posts on here it might well be safer selling it after one year before something disasterous happens. Alfas flat fours ran forever, no piston problems, I know I had a few, Audis don't suffer from the drivetrain problems, why so the Scooby. I don't mind the feul consumption/servicing costs, you are repaid in spades with the performance but there is no excuse for faulty engineering and unco-operative dealers on a car of this price.
Old 13 October 2001, 02:27 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well i cant be arsed to take mine back again, mines just turned one year old, reported judder at 10000, 15000, 22500. then was fineally told that it was one of the better ones theyve driven, doesent warrent a strip down, and because of the mileage the clutch would have to be inspected for abuse, abuse i say, what are these cars built for. they also denied any knowledge of P1 clutch housing for cure. ill just wait till the clutch is goosed then get a proper one fitted. seriously thinking what is this warenty worth! Lee
Old 13 October 2001, 08:11 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JKJ2:
<B>Alfas flat fours ran forever, no piston problems, I know I had a few, Audis don't suffer from the drivetrain problems, why so the Scooby. [/quote]

Sorry Mate, I was very into flat four Alfas and piston slap was very common. It even says so in the Haynes manual.

Piston bores going oval at 50k miles was not anything out of the ordinary. I think you exaggerate the Scooby problem a little - my car is heavily tuned but still makes a fine runabout everyday and it remains very driveable.

Trout

Old 13 October 2001, 09:36 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well the P1 clutch housing worked for me. My MY00 was one of the first cars that Cheam Motors fitted the stronger P1 clutch housing to.

At the time, they said to me that they had had their suspicions about the standard housing dropping pressure which was causing the judder. They had thought about fitting a stronger housing, but were waiting for the OK from IM before they did.

I've now had this fitted for roughly 18K miles and I can that it is much better. I do occasionally get slight judder on cold mornings, but other than that, it has been cured.

LeeP if your dealer is seriously telling you he hasn't heard about using the P1 clutch housing then speak to Andrew Barker at Cheam Motors servicing ( details at